LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
I tried to order a set of kooks and green catted mid pipe for my GTO around 6 months ago from CSP. They placed my order with Kooks but I was told later that kooks wouldn’t do tje green cats in the gto mid pipe. That being said I have the regular catted mid pipe delivered. Just FYI.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
I didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped because I had a short visit to my tuner and gave him the injector data he wanted. The current plan is I get my kit on Monday and tinker on the car all week and into the following weekend and he'll get me in for a tune and dyno session the following week.

Today I got the bumper off, rounded up a few odds and ends I had stored away, got the lower air duct off (going to use a spare to be cut up), removed the radiator and removed the catch can.

View attachment 511353
I’m about to take my bumper off for the first time it has ever been off the car since 2006 so it’s mint with no broken clips. Any tips to make sure the clips don’t get broken on the side? I was going to have someone suppprt the weight of the bumper when I try to un clip the sides and just go slow and feel it out.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
Yeah, that's what I did the first time (when I put on my SAP grills), was too gentle and wasted over an hour fiddling.

First you take out the two screws on either side in the wheel lip, then the three on top. Then just pull the sides straight out to release those clips, comes off pretty easy. The hard ones are at the corner just below the headlight. You can pull and pry and not get anywhere. My method has worked every time but you have to use a bit of force which seems like you are going to break something but you shouldn't. Do it on a warm day so the plastic is a bit more flexible. Anyway, grab the bumper at the side that already came loose with one hand and at the bottom directly below the corner you want to come loose. Then, in a quick move, pull the bumper straight up from the bottom and slightly out at the top. It will make a popping sound. It always takes me a few tries because my first few tries are always too gentle. The upward motion is what really does the trick given how the clips on the fender are built.

Also, it is a LOT easier to disconnect the fog light harness on the driver's side once the bumper is off. The harness has enough slack to allow the bumper to rest on the ground while still connected, you won't be straining any wires.

I wish I'd made a video of the process. It can be a bit intimidating to do since you really don't want to break anything. Anyway, this is the method that has always worked for me.
Thanks that helps a ton. Hopefully I get to this next week when the weather is still warm. I’m sure I’ll be like you the first time and taking my sweet time.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
Yeah, that's what I did the first time (when I put on my SAP grills), was too gentle and wasted over an hour fiddling.

First you take out the two screws on either side in the wheel lip, then the three on top. Then just pull the sides straight out to release those clips, comes off pretty easy. The hard ones are at the corner just below the headlight. You can pull and pry and not get anywhere. My method has worked every time but you have to use a bit of force which seems like you are going to break something but you shouldn't. Do it on a warm day so the plastic is a bit more flexible. Anyway, grab the bumper at the side that already came loose with one hand and at the bottom directly below the corner you want to come loose. Then, in a quick move, pull the bumper straight up from the bottom and slightly out at the top. It will make a popping sound. It always takes me a few tries because my first few tries are always too gentle. The upward motion is what really does the trick given how the clips on the fender are built.

Also, it is a LOT easier to disconnect the fog light harness on the driver's side once the bumper is off. The harness has enough slack to allow the bumper to rest on the ground while still connected, you won't be straining any wires.

I wish I'd made a video of the process. It can be a bit intimidating to do since you really don't want to break anything. Anyway, this is the method that has always worked for me.
Just did the removal now. Thanks for the tips. I also found that having your leg pushing on the front of the bumper rearward helped me a ton. The clips release from the rear.
No broken clips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
I'm assuming you have long tube headers?

You probably don't have much data but do you notice any heat soak with the maggie? Back to back runs did the IAT's start climbing(isn't the IAT for the maggie relocated to inside the blower)?

Found a dyno vid of the TVS2300 at 12lb..... There's always more power!

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
Can you unbolt your mid pipe and dyno again with just straight headers? See if it bumps up tje power.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
I’m interested to see what dropping the cats will do…… Even if it’s not the main issue would be nice to see how much even a working cat holds back a boosted motor.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
I see what you guys are saying about HPtuners and agree. But if you are paying a professional with a dyno isn’t his job to dial it in and make it run right? If I went to a shop for a full tune and dyno AND had to run around and log stuff and figure it out myself with HPtuners what am I paying for?

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
Okay, here's my review and impressions after the Lingenfelter went on. I did a lot of little things on the car this weekend, installed the push connectors on the evap lines, tidied up some hose and wiring routing and of course installed the Lingenfelter which turned into more of a job that expected to get it to sit right so things would fit together as well as they should. In the end, the freshly charged battery could barely crank the engine so I had to drain the Maggie cooling system, remove the tank and replace the battery. No big deal, just a little extra time and work.

So, I took the car for a good little drive to see how the new intake would do. No codes, ran great. No leaks which was also great. I got it fully warmed up and did some mid-gear pulls, no hard launches because it was only just above 40 degrees out and I'm on Summer only tires. The first pull was just a gentle acceleration in first and then pounded it in 2nd and third. Lost traction almost all the way through 2nd. That's partly due to the temps and the tires, but it was pulling like a beast. This is a LOT more like what I expected when the blower first went on and was fully tuned. I'm still shocked that an improved intake and filter could make so much difference, but really I shouldn't be. A blower moves a lot more air and I was obviously choking it down with a paper filter due to my stubborness. Well, I got over it at least. Also, losing the stock air box could only be a benefit. I didn't notice a real change in the intake sound but maybe because I mostly hear the exhaust and the blower or maybe there really wasn't much change in the intake sound. Doesn't really matter, but I kind of expected a louder intake sound.

The Lingenfelter is kind of expensive for what you get but in the end it did fit pretty well and it is obviously pretty effective and really was my only real option for the Maggie aside from stock since I really don't at this time want to drop the change on another DuSpeed and a new heat exchanger. I wonder how well the Lingenfelter will work in warmer weather. Will be quite a few months before I can know anything about that.

About the change in the car with a better intake, all I can say is WOO-WEE, this is a lot more of what I expected when the blower went on. One interesting thing happened as well. I have my boost gauge set with a warning light to go off when boost exceeds 6 psi (the max it should do per Magnuson). On the first harder pull, I noticed the light went off. It didn't just blink, it went on and stayed on for a while. On the next few pulls I actually glanced more seriously at the gauge and I was getting 8 psi, sometimes even a little bit more on the harder pulls in 2nd. Not sure what to think about that, but it certainly never did that with the paper filter so yet another indicator that the engine/blower are much more effective and efficient now. Also, I assume the gauge is accurate, it certainly should be for what it cost (Speedhut). But the key point is that I was getting substantially more boost than before. Also, when doing these harder runs, it redlined like a beast and clearly was not running out of fuel even given the more than expected boost. But I still need to query my tuner about if the tune will need some adjustment given the more than expected boost.

Engine temps never even got to 200 degrees even for a second, but like I said it was only about 43 degrees out. Given the outdoor temps I couldn't really expect to do any meaningful 1/4 mile runs. The street tires would never help me get out of the hole and I suspect the drag radials wouldn't do much at these temps either so I didn't really even try. BUT, given the SOTP impressions thus far, next Spring when it warms up and the roads get cleaned off a bit after Winter muck I plan to strap on the drag radials and see if I can set yet another new personal best. It is going to be a lot harder to find that sweet spot of enough traction out of the hole without bogging or spinning. I think a trip to the semi-local drag strip will be in order next Spring.

I'm considering getting a spare set of 18s and having them widened for the rear to get some bigger meats out in back for when I eventually replace the street tires. I think it would look pretty good too to have a bit of a staggered set up.

Bottom line: I am much happier with the blower install now than I ever have been. I'd also add that I now wonder if dropping the cats will make much difference, it sure doesn't seem to have a choke point at this time. But I still plan to get it back to the dyno and find out.
really shows how restrictive the stock air box is…….

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
500hp, 460 torque. That’s with the cats dropped too though. Oh yeah and corrected tune.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
956 Posts
I ordered an AFR gauge today from Speedhut. Will be built to match my existing boost gauge and then also my stock gauges.
you can order that directly from their website? I don’t see any GTO specific stuff. Thought that we had to go through mavman.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts