LS1GTO Forums banner
201 - 220 of 243 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,425 Posts
You should set up to tune the car yourself Rich. The way things are going in the hot rod world it might be best to have the stuff on hand even if you pay someone to help you.

I'm impressed that you have 11 pages of blower thread and no blower installed yet. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
My opinion also. Or at least the knowledge to look over/adjust the tune. I was doing mine till it was easier to get it done in one sitting vs weeks of driving

·
Super Moderator
16,425 Posts
My opinion also. Or at least the knowledge to look over/adjust the tune. I was doing mine till it was easier to get it done in one sitting vs weeks of driving
After learning what it takes to tune a car. I'm working on my second tune now with boost thrown in. It was a huge learning lesson for what you get when you pay a professional tuner 500+ dollars.

In the grand scheme of things there is no way they can do a "full" tune in a 3 hour or so dyno session. A lot of guys including myself wind up driving around with half assed VE tables and trims running out to the max. But they can make it make big power and should be safe. Which it seems is what most customers want.

Street tuning to make it the best it can be will take some time but I think it's worth it in the end.

·
GR-RRR!
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
And so the teardown begins.

Where I started:
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Today I drained the radiator, pulled the DuSpeed, salvaged the TB and MAF from the intake system, pulled the FAST and pulled the fans and moved them over to my uncut fan shroud:
Hood Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive battery

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Tomorrow I'll try to get to pulling the bumper, the valley cover and the balancer bolt. If I have time for all that I'll get the catch can off too and begin planning to mount it in the new location.

·
Super Moderator
16,425 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,425 Posts
So what is the best version to get and where to buy? And do you have to buy credits every time you want to load an updated tune?
Credits per vin number and then you can tune that vin number forever. I believe GM is two credits per vin. 80 bucks for two.

You want an early HP tuners cable or you can run an MPVI 2 but you want the software version to be pre 4.1x

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just sent my 8th log to PCM for my mail order tune.. I'm obviously slow, but its been interesting to to watch the VE take shape as it goes along, and I learned enough to check the injector rates and fuel pressure tables and actually caught something significant they missed in the configuration.

I was at the Hot Rod Power Tour, last month, which is sponsored by HP Tuners and talked to one of their guys for a bit. Between vehicle electrification and hardened security on the latest controllers it feels like they may need to re-invent themselves a bit.

·
Worthless reject member
49,289 Posts
Credits per vin number and then you can tune that vin number forever. I believe GM is two credits per vin. 80 bucks for two.

You want an early HP tuners cable or you can run an MPVI 2 but you want the software version to be pre 4.1x
wait, why can't i run 4.2 or later with the mpvi 2?

i can't get a new mpvi, either? WHAT'S HAPPENING BRO.

·
Super Moderator
16,425 Posts
10 comes after 8 confusing I know if going by alpha numeric.

201 - 220 of 243 Posts