LS1GTO Forums banner
421 - 440 of 449 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
HP tuners is virtually useless without a connected and datalogging wideband except for the most basic of changes.

Reactions: LS2-GTO

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
I see what you guys are saying about HPtuners and agree. But if you are paying a professional with a dyno isn’t his job to dial it in and make it run right? If I went to a shop for a full tune and dyno AND had to run around and log stuff and figure it out myself with HPtuners what am I paying for?
Coincidently I was just having a conversation yesterday with the guy that is helping me tune my current car. My guidance counselor if you will. I was talking about how I've had a couple different LS cars tuned over the years both with cam swaps and how 1 turned out beautifully and was daily driven for years and the other tuned by the same tuner was useless and left me feeling pissed off and almost hating the car.

The short long of it is, if you think you are getting a fully tuned car for 4-600 dollars for a few hours on a dyno. You are completely kidding yourself. It simply cannot be done. Doesn't meant your car won't be driveable, don't get me wrong.
He basically told me that some of their tunes for very picky customers will and do cost upwards of 2k dollars. If you want your heavily modified car to drive as close to stock you are going to have to pay for the countless hours of road tuning. Some of these tune jobs can take a full week to complete.

Dyno tuning and WOT tuning is actually the easy part.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Coincidently I was just having a conversation yesterday with the guy that is helping me tune my current car. My guidance counselor if you will. I was talking about how I've had a couple different LS cars tuned over the years both with cam swaps and how 1 turned out beautifully and was daily driven for years and the other tuned by the same tuner was useless and left me feeling pissed off and almost hating the car.

The short long of it is, if you think you are getting a fully tuned car for 4-600 dollars for a few hours on a dyno. You are completely kidding yourself. It simply cannot be done. Doesn't meant your car won't be driveable, don't get me wrong.
He basically told me that some of their tunes for very picky customers will and do cost upwards of 2k dollars. If you want your heavily modified car to drive as close to stock you are going to have to pay for the countless hours of road tuning. Some of these tune jobs can take a full week to complete.

I fully feel like i could have tuned mine myself with dyno. Cost for the dyno vs having someone do it was close that i just left it to him (plenty of recommendations). Non-boost ve is very easy also.

It was the data for part throttle boost/not get a ticket/not wreck/drive like a jackass everytime that i didnt feel like continuing myself.

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
I fully feel like i could have tuned mine myself with dyno. Cost for the dyno vs having someone do it was close that i just left it to him (plenty of recommendations). Non-boost ve is very easy also.

It was the data for part throttle boost/not get a ticket/not wreck/drive like a jackass everytime that i didnt feel like continuing myself.
Yup ve tuning is almost boring.

I will not do 4th gear pulls on the street. That will have to wait for the dyno. We've done enough third gear pulls 1700 to 5k safely to know that the car is safe. Definitely still have to have a safe place to do it to not harm yourself or others if something goes wrong.

I will say Rich must have somewhere he feels safe to go if he's doing simulated 1/4 mile passes on the street lol.

·
Worthless reject member
49,786 Posts
HP tuners is virtually useless without a connected and datalogging wideband except for the most basic of changes.
Eh that's not really true. You can do a lot of tuning without it. Just not WOT AFR stuff involving the maf calibration or the fatter end of the VE table.

Except those are the real important parts you need to not blow up your modah.

·
Worthless reject member
49,786 Posts

THIS.

90% of it is driving around and logging, then making tweaks.

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
Eh that's not really true. You can do a lot of tuning without it. Just not WOT AFR stuff involving the maf calibration or the fatter end of the VE table.
Absolutely true but work smarter not harder.

Rich can afford a wideband FFS.

If you can afford a TVS2300 you can afford a wideband. and MPVI.

·
Worthless reject member
49,786 Posts
That will be your life now, rich. Driving with a laptop in your passenger seat trying to collect hit counts obscure cells on a graph so you can have a completely accurate VE table, and making crazy exhaust noises in every gear.

·
GR-RRR!
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
I will say Rich must have somewhere he feels safe to go if he's doing simulated 1/4 mile passes on the street lol.
This drone photo shows about half of my town, so yeah, I can go in multiple directions to be pretty much out in the sticks. My house would be about dead center of this photo.
Sky Cloud Plain City Horizon

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
Lolol. This is too true. Felt that way for a few months.
I am currently in this boat. Off and on since April.

I bet I've spent 300 plus dollars in fuel.

An additional challenge I am fighting is tuning very large injectors. I'm regretting my injector choice lol.

·
Worthless reject member
49,786 Posts
I had one dude call me out on it once, he thought i was doing it on purpose to instigate or something.

I was like dude i'm tuning my car, lol.

·
Worthless reject member
49,786 Posts
I am currently in this boat. Off and on since April.

I bet I've spent 300 plus dollars in fuel.

An additional challenge I am fighting is tuning very large injectors. I'm regretting my injector choice lol.
Dealing with dat minimum pulse width BS, huh.

At least you don't have an E40 with the goofy injector size limit. You have to scale the whole FUDGING TOON.

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
Dealing with dat minimum pulse width BS, huh.

At least you don't have an E40 with the goofy injector size limit. You have to scale the whole FUDGING TOON.
yup it's a total pain in the ass.

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
Going out and hitting the road for a half hour now. We are going to beat this effin car into submission come hell or high water.

·
Worthless reject member
49,786 Posts
Back in 2014 i spent a while trying to fill the voltage offset table for my green tops, only to end up finding the injector data for them later on. I ended up staying with my data since it was pretty close.

In the meantime i tried a set of used 36 lb 3800 supercharged injectors only to find one was stuck open and vomited fuel into my ls1 trying to crank it over. On top of that it was e85 and cold... so a little hard to start anyway.

I kept the bent rod as a soveneir. Broke roughly even on parting out the old motor vs cost of the replacement, but got hammered with time spent and other crap like gaskets, fluids, materials, etc.

Expensive lesson.

421 - 440 of 449 Posts