LS1GTO Forums banner
441 - 449 of 449 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
I am currently in this boat. Off and on since April.

I bet I've spent 300 plus dollars in fuel.

An additional challenge I am fighting is tuning very large injectors. I'm regretting my injector choice lol.
that was another thing. i know i spent over that in my self-tuning. easily went through an extra tank per week.

what injectors? i think ill go ID1300s when i get around to it.

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
Crappy SEP 850s which after this morning may be going away soon. They just are not cooperating.

I have a set of LSA LS9 injectors to try but there is a chance they are going to duty cycle.

We shall see.

·
Registered
2004 M6 PMB
344 Posts
HPTuners should be part of any plan of action.
Hptuners MPVI2 with two credit and a AEM 30-0300 for $450. Sent the to Dr.Mike for an update for a faster read rate and increased accuracy (additional decimal place). I started to VE tune, but working from home has limited my road time.
I wanted a dyno test anyways, so the extra money of a good tuner and being able to read what he did, made the investment worthwhile. Her gave me some pointers too. Nice to able to scan and collect more data, and watch the A/F while driving. Plan to keep the GTO, plus could buy more credits if I ever get another modern performance vehicle.

Working on Lean cruise now. Downloaded Rob's file

·
GR-RRR!
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
Had a long chat with the tuner today. I guess I was wrong, advance was left at 18* not 22*. We took it up to 22 but didn't see any improvement.

His dyno was blocked by a car that was on the lift in front of it which ran into extra challenges and can't be moved just yet so we didn't get a chance to do the no cats run today. Hopefully some time in the next few weeks. Did some more street monitoring and everything still looks great. Drove it to a car show, a few errands and for the street tuning and it ran flawlessly and drove real nice.

Talked a bit about E85. Going to do more research into what cats are out there that could be an improvement. Wish folks selling cats would publish their flow specs for comparison reasons.

·
GR-RRR!
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 · (Edited)
I think we need to do the no-cats runs first before doing any more mods or buying anything more, but at least that will tell us if the cats are a choke point or not.

The other big question is if the DW300 fuel pump and LS9/52lb injectors are enough to support E85. I do still have the MagnaVolt fuel pump booster lying around but my bigger concern would be with the injectors.

·
GR-RRR!
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
You can log injector duty cycle in hptuners.
They have plenty of room left when currently tuned, the question is does the system have enough headroom left to do E85 at full boost and 6500 RPM? How much more output is needed from 91 to E85 and can the stock fuel lines provide enough throughput and pressure to keep the system happy with E85?

Also, for whatever reason, Magnuson says their blowers are not designed for E85. Not sure why that would be since the fuel is entirely downstream of the blower itself anyway. The fuel rails and fuel lines are all E85 capable as is the fuel pump. As long at the injectors are capable or bigger ones are swapped out for the purpose I don't know why the blower would care one way or another what fuel was used.

441 - 449 of 449 Posts