LS1GTO Forums banner
461 - 480 of 512 Posts

·
Yes my name is Holden
597 Posts
Greetings Rich & all; I had to go back about 5 pages to catch up, then I realized I'll never catch up. At least we know what made Rich ill? Keep in mind that the goddess of Speed doesn't necessarily make Producing additional Power Easy. Years ago a older fellow (yes older than me) engine builder gave me a lesson in valve springs. So now that I have brought springs into the equation, please remind me Rich. You did up grade over the OE springs? And I suggest that ya leave the cats in the garage! With all that corn around the mice will stay outside?? Patients Grasshopper, Ole' Bob. Ps I got that Volant setting in the spare parts area.

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
How does the above ET / MPH compare to what you were expecting?
I was expecting an improvement in both. The ET improved, the MPH did not. While my preferred "drag strip" got repaved inbetween, I'm pretty sure the traction amount has gone down but even with that, the 60ft improved but even with that the MPH should have improved even if the ET was not markedly different. At least that's been my experience in the past that MPH shows ABILITY and is a measurement of power on top even if getting that power down to related to better ETs and 60fts do not due to traction issues.

Greetings Rich & all; I had to go back about 5 pages to catch up, then I realized I'll never catch up. At least we know what made Rich ill? Keep in mind that the goddess of Speed doesn't necessarily make Producing additional Power Easy. Years ago a older fellow (yes older than me) engine builder gave me a lesson in valve springs. So now that I have brought springs into the equation, please remind me Rich. You did up grade over the OE springs? And I suggest that ya leave the cats in the garage! With all that corn around the mice will stay outside?? Patients Grasshopper, Ole' Bob. Ps I got that Volant setting in the spare parts area.
I did upgrade the springs when I did the rockers. They are now, IIRC, 400lbs open. There is no valve float going on anywhere. 7000RPMs is as easy as a tap on the pedal.

FWIW, I put in the K&N filter and just now took it for a spin. Drove around a while to warm it up and get it used to the new filter. Then I did a moderate pull and surprisingly to me (because I dislike K&N filters and think they are mostly hype), it seemed to pull much harder and for longer than before. Maybe the filter actually made some difference? Or it is just self imposed wish fulfillment. Next chance at the dyno will tell the tale. Waiting for an opening there so we can test the cat/no cat theory.

·
Worthless reject member
50,320 Posts
do you still run the stock shifter, rich? is your clutch hanging up or is your trans a little hard to shift?

your 1-2 shift sounded a little... i dunno. 2-3 i get because with a stocko-shifter it can be sketchy, but you should be able to absolutely murder-bang from 1st to 2nd.

·
Worthless reject member
50,320 Posts
Well, last time at the track I got my GTech to within .010th (1/100th) of a second of the track, so......

AND, I can download my GTech data into a program in my computer and analyze and compare runs. Looks like Dragy doesn't go beyond the app in on your phone. My GTech is also a RoadRace version which I can use to record and later analyze road course runs. AND I already own it so I don't have to spend more money.
does the GTech use gps or is it all accelerometer based?

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
do you still run the stock shifter, rich? is your clutch hanging up or is your trans a little hard to shift?

your 1-2 shift sounded a little... i dunno. 2-3 i get because with a stocko-shifter it can be sketchy, but you should be able to absolutely murder-bang from 1st to 2nd.
I certainly don't Ronnie Sox this car. Slow shifting is me, not the car. Shifts don't hang, Monster clutch has taken everything I've thrown at it and asked for more. Tuner even said it was holding up superbly when we were doing the last dyno runs.

I have a Pro Billet shifter. I broke the stock shifter. My shifts were a bit sharper in my 12.81 run video.

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
does the GTech use gps or is it all accelerometer based?
Accelerometers. Three of them as I recall, supposedly military grade stuff, whatever the heck that means.

On the drive back from the scale the car just simply screamed. It seems a lot more like what I expected after the blower went on. Could the air filter really make enough difference to notice? Still thinking it is wishful thinking but I'm wanting to get back on the dyno again more than ever now and see what the cat drop can show us.

·
Worthless reject member
50,320 Posts
I like my tuner, I like what he does. I trust him and he has an excellent reputation from all quarters. I'm following his recommendations based on what he knows I want. If the AFRs are good across the board, the IATs are reasonable, the advance is appropriate with no knock retard and the driveability is excellent, what would the remaining questions be? What questions remain to be addressed that a different map could answer? If Magnuson themselves thought a 2-bar MAP was required to achieve the desired results with their kit why was that not part of the package? Apparently even the manufacturer of the kit sees no issue with using and tuning with a stock 1-bar MAP.
with such low boost, and as long as your MAF cal is spot on, i reluctantly agree with you.

·
Worthless reject member
50,320 Posts
I certainly don't Ronnie Sox this car. Slow shifting is me, not the car. Shifts don't hang, Monster clutch has taken everything I've thrown at it and asked for more. Tuner even said it was holding up superbly when we were doing the last dyno runs.

I have a Pro Billet shifter. I broke the stock shifter. My shifts were a bit sharper in my 12.81 run video.
you need to murder it. it's owed you money for years. make an example of it.

does the gtech to 60-130? seems like a popular spec with the real high power guys. that could help sort out the "real power" the car makes, if you would be willing to do such a run. you'd really have to bang the gears so you wouldn't loose time in between shifts, though.

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
eh.

if you say that it is accurate, tho, send it.
Like I said, had it at the track, it was within a half a tenth, I adjusted the pitch factor and got it to within a 100th. Time slip compares to the GTech stats almost spot on. Not enough difference to even quibble about. They are neat little toys if you take time to get the adjustments right. And I like the software where you can analyze a run or up to four runs can be compared at the same time. I have two of them, one strictly for drag racing and the other is the road race version that does both drag racing and road racing data. It can also save parameters for multiple cars.

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
you need to murder it. it's owed you money for years. make an example of it.

does the gtech to 60-130? seems like a popular spec with the real high power guys. that could help sort out the "real power" the car makes, if you would be willing to do such a run. you'd really have to bang the gears so you wouldn't loose time in between shifts, though.
Not sure, don't think so. 0-60, 60ft, 1000ft, 1/4 mile ET, 1/4 mile MPH, HP, TQ, G-force in multiple directions, 100-0 (braking power). Might be more, I'd have to look it up. Software can plot it all in pretty graphs.

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 · (Edited)
Here's an example of the software with my two best runs loaded for comparison plus my best ever run in my Accord for comparison. You can see that my 1/2 shift was fairly slow on the best run (black line) but was noticeably better on my previous best run (red line). So, there is certainly more in the car with better traction and technique.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

Same comparison but measured in G force. Looks like the blower version launched harder. Sure didn't feel like it. You can see the wheel spin too (drop in G force between shifts). When NA, the wheels spun, then grabbed and went. With the blower, they spun and stayed spinning longer before regaining grip. Messing with tire settings could help a lot, and if I can find a road with better pavement it would help a ton. Going to the track would be a huge help too I suppose.

Light Rectangle Font Line Parallel

461 - 480 of 512 Posts