LS1GTO Forums banner
481 - 500 of 512 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
Put the Lingenfelter CAI on. A few less than stellar engineering aspects. The angle of the pipe outlet puts the accordion part of the intake tube in touch with the power steering pulley. I had to strap the pipe to the radiator support to provide a few fractions of an inch of clearance. But I have to wonder if the movement of the engine will put the two into contact. Also, one of the clamps that hold the coupler to the MAF contact the AC coolant line, I'll have to insulate the coolant line with some split rubber hose to avoid metal to metal rubbing. And when all installed, the radiator shroud will not drop down into place. The shroud interferes with the top front corner of the Lingenfelter housing preventing the shroud from seating down onto the radiator support without forcing it and distorting it. I thought about cutting that corner off of the housing, but there are mounting holes right there used to mount the housing to the car. The more I pull the housing tight to the radiator support, the more that forces the accordion toward the PS pulley.

If the pleats on the accordion tube weren't so tall it wouldn't be as much of a problem. I might have to look for alternative sections of tubing for this spot.

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Hood

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
The Lingenfelter dropped right into where the instructions said it should. The OEM shroud hits the shield in two places, I trimmed it off right next to where the zip tie connects to the AC line at the top front and that helped remove the interference between the shield and the rim of the little air inlet grill in the shroud, but the rear most vertical edge of the shroud is still hitting the shield where the notch is cut to provide room for that and the coolant overflow line. It appears that the notch isn't cut deep enough to the rear. It is pushing the shroud up and forward making it hard to get the push clips in the shroud. I tried moving the Lingenfelter assembly toward the rear of the car but it has no room to move and even if it did that would move the accordion pipe even closer to the power steering pulley. If the Magnuson accordion pipe had more shallow pleats like the stock one it wouldn't be an issue, but they stick out pretty far. I didn't have this interference issue with the stock air box but I'm not going back to that.

I'll try loosening the brackets to see if there is any wiggle room, barring success there I'll just cut the notch in the LF shield a little bit deeper. Only need another 3/16" or so.

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 · (Edited)
Okay, here's my review and impressions after the Lingenfelter went on. I did a lot of little things on the car this weekend, installed the push connectors on the evap lines, tidied up some hose and wiring routing and of course installed the Lingenfelter which turned into more of a job that expected to get it to sit right so things would fit together as well as they should. In the end, the freshly charged battery could barely crank the engine so I had to drain the Maggie cooling system, remove the tank and replace the battery. No big deal, just a little extra time and work.

So, I took the car for a good little drive to see how the new intake would do. No codes, ran great. No leaks which was also great. I got it fully warmed up and did some mid-gear pulls, no hard launches because it was only just above 40 degrees out and I'm on Summer only tires. The first pull was just a gentle acceleration in first and then pounded it in 2nd and third. Lost traction almost all the way through 2nd. That's partly due to the temps and the tires, but it was pulling like a beast. This is a LOT more like what I expected when the blower first went on and was fully tuned. I'm still shocked that an improved intake and filter could make so much difference, but really I shouldn't be. A blower moves a lot more air and I was obviously choking it down with a paper filter due to my stubborness. Well, I got over it at least. Also, losing the stock air box could only be a benefit. I didn't notice a real change in the intake sound but maybe because I mostly hear the exhaust and the blower or maybe there really wasn't much change in the intake sound. Doesn't really matter, but I kind of expected a louder intake sound.

The Lingenfelter is kind of expensive for what you get but in the end it did fit pretty well and it is obviously pretty effective and really was my only real option for the Maggie aside from stock since I really don't at this time want to drop the change on another DuSpeed and a new heat exchanger. I wonder how well the Lingenfelter will work in warmer weather. Will be quite a few months before I can know anything about that.

About the change in the car with a better intake, all I can say is WOO-WEE, this is a lot more of what I expected when the blower went on. One interesting thing happened as well. I have my boost gauge set with a warning light to go off when boost exceeds 6 psi (the max it should do per Magnuson). On the first harder pull, I noticed the light went off. It didn't just blink, it went on and stayed on for a while. On the next few pulls I actually glanced more seriously at the gauge and I was getting 8 psi, sometimes even a little bit more on the harder pulls in 2nd. Not sure what to think about that, but it certainly never did that with the paper filter so yet another indicator that the engine/blower are much more effective and efficient now. Also, I assume the gauge is accurate, it certainly should be for what it cost (Speedhut). But the key point is that I was getting substantially more boost than before. Also, when doing these harder runs, it redlined like a beast and clearly was not running out of fuel even given the more than expected boost. But I still need to query my tuner about if the tune will need some adjustment given the more than expected boost.

Engine temps never even got to 200 degrees even for a second, but like I said it was only about 43 degrees out. Given the outdoor temps I couldn't really expect to do any meaningful 1/4 mile runs. The street tires would never help me get out of the hole and I suspect the drag radials wouldn't do much at these temps either so I didn't really even try. BUT, given the SOTP impressions thus far, next Spring when it warms up and the roads get cleaned off a bit after Winter muck I plan to strap on the drag radials and see if I can set yet another new personal best. It is going to be a lot harder to find that sweet spot of enough traction out of the hole without bogging or spinning. I think a trip to the semi-local drag strip will be in order next Spring.

I'm considering getting a spare set of 18s and having them widened for the rear to get some bigger meats out in back for when I eventually replace the street tires. I think it would look pretty good too to have a bit of a staggered set up.

Bottom line: I am much happier with the blower install now than I ever have been. I'd also add that I now wonder if dropping the cats will make much difference, it sure doesn't seem to have a choke point at this time. But I still plan to get it back to the dyno and find out.

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
And here's an offer to my fellow supercharged friends who have been riding along with my bitching and moaning and general conversations. When I was doing the build I bought a number of SUPERCHARGED badges and of course only used one of them. That left me with two badges I don't really need. If anyone who is supercharged would like one of the badges shown below, post up a photo of your blown car and let me know which badge you want and I'll send it to you. These are ebay knockoff badges but look pretty nice. They are copies of badges used on Range Rover something or others. They are actual metal not plastic. They are a hair less wide than the GTO fender badges.

Rectangle Yellow Font Cosmetics Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
677 Posts
Okay, here's my review and impressions after the Lingenfelter went on. I did a lot of little things on the car this weekend, installed the push connectors on the evap lines, tidied up some hose and wiring routing and of course installed the Lingenfelter which turned into more of a job that expected to get it to sit right so things would fit together as well as they should. In the end, the freshly charged battery could barely crank the engine so I had to drain the Maggie cooling system, remove the tank and replace the battery. No big deal, just a little extra time and work.

So, I took the car for a good little drive to see how the new intake would do. No codes, ran great. No leaks which was also great. I got it fully warmed up and did some mid-gear pulls, no hard launches because it was only just above 40 degrees out and I'm on Summer only tires. The first pull was just a gentle acceleration in first and then pounded it in 2nd and third. Lost traction almost all the way through 2nd. That's partly due to the temps and the tires, but it was pulling like a beast. This is a LOT more like what I expected when the blower first went on and was fully tuned. I'm still shocked that an improved intake and filter could make so much difference, but really I shouldn't be. A blower moves a lot more air and I was obviously choking it down with a paper filter due to my stubborness. Well, I got over it at least. Also, losing the stock air box could only be a benefit. I didn't notice a real change in the intake sound but maybe because I mostly hear the exhaust and the blower or maybe there really wasn't much change in the intake sound. Doesn't really matter, but I kind of expected a louder intake sound.

The Lingenfelter is kind of expensive for what you get but in the end it did fit pretty well and it is obviously pretty effective and really was my only real option for the Maggie aside from stock since I really don't at this time want to drop the change on another DuSpeed and a new heat exchanger. I wonder how well the Lingenfelter will work in warmer weather. Will be quite a few months before I can know anything about that.

About the change in the car with a better intake, all I can say is WOO-WEE, this is a lot more of what I expected when the blower went on. One interesting thing happened as well. I have my boost gauge set with a warning light to go off when boost exceeds 6 psi (the max it should do per Magnuson). On the first harder pull, I noticed the light went off. It didn't just blink, it went on and stayed on for a while. On the next few pulls I actually glanced more seriously at the gauge and I was getting 8 psi, sometimes even a little bit more on the harder pulls in 2nd. Not sure what to think about that, but it certainly never did that with the paper filter so yet another indicator that the engine/blower are much more effective and efficient now. Also, I assume the gauge is accurate, it certainly should be for what it cost (Speedhut). But the key point is that I was getting substantially more boost than before. Also, when doing these harder runs, it redlined like a beast and clearly was not running out of fuel even given the more than expected boost. But I still need to query my tuner about if the tune will need some adjustment given the more than expected boost.

Engine temps never even got to 200 degrees even for a second, but like I said it was only about 43 degrees out. Given the outdoor temps I couldn't really expect to do any meaningful 1/4 mile runs. The street tires would never help me get out of the hole and I suspect the drag radials wouldn't do much at these temps either so I didn't really even try. BUT, given the SOTP impressions thus far, next Spring when it warms up and the roads get cleaned off a bit after Winter muck I plan to strap on the drag radials and see if I can set yet another new personal best. It is going to be a lot harder to find that sweet spot of enough traction out of the hole without bogging or spinning. I think a trip to the semi-local drag strip will be in order next Spring.

I'm considering getting a spare set of 18s and having them widened for the rear to get some bigger meats out in back for when I eventually replace the street tires. I think it would look pretty good too to have a bit of a staggered set up.

Bottom line: I am much happier with the blower install now than I ever have been. I'd also add that I now wonder if dropping the cats will make much difference, it sure doesn't seem to have a choke point at this time. But I still plan to get it back to the dyno and find out.
really shows how restrictive the stock air box is…….

·
Administrator
8,992 Posts
really shows how restrictive a paper air filter is…….
FTFY

A stock air box isn’t that restrictive; the filter element is the wild card.

·
Administrator
8,992 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,083 Posts
Ski, did you ever have a boost gauge on your car? If so, what was the maximum boost you ever saw?

If you had HP tuners you'd know the boost at all times in logs. No boost gauge needed.

Just a suggestion and another pro to having it.

·
GR-RRR!
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
If you had HP tuners you'd know the boost at all times in logs. No boost gauge needed.

Just a suggestion and another pro to having it.
How would HP Tuners know the boost if I still have only a 1 bar MAP? There isn't a sensor on the engine aside from the gauge that can or is measuring the boost (which is why I added the gauge of course). Or can it extrapolate the boost from other known measurements?

·
Yes my name is Holden
597 Posts
Greetings Guys; Ah that's Great news Rich. The more power ya make, the harder it is to find. You know the goddess of Speed. And I take it you're feeling better. Next spring you'll be spinnin' those rollers with more authority! So now I'll challenge ya to a race next June at Great Lakes drag Way for a beer. And I except to buy? I've also challenged Larry Z., but neither Outomibile was in race condition this year. So we put it off till 2022. We would sure like to see ya over here. And any other of you Car Nuts, I race for beer only. I know it's a jaunt & one or two nights away. But if Larry Z. has his on the ground I'll be instigatin' a race between you two! And that afternoon we'll all head over to Michael's on the Lake to pay off our beer debt.
We had s__w flurries a week ago, so I'm good with this season ending & moving on to spring, Ole' Bob.
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

481 - 500 of 512 Posts