LS1GTO Forums banner
521 - 540 of 561 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
wow! awesome. and not a fan of no cats. just wish i knew what a Green Filter would do.
Yeah, at $75 for the Green Filter double cone filter, I have to wonder if it would really be any better. I'm pretty sure it would filter better, but I don't think it would flow any better than what I have now.

·
Administrator
9,119 Posts
So, in a nutshell, the issue was overthinking filter media which caused you to want to use a paper filter?

Wonder what would have been the results with the stock air box had you just used the supplied K&N filter. Obviously your current setup is better though, so you’re surely better off.

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
So, in a nutshell, the issue was overthinking filter media which caused you to want to use a paper filter?

Wonder what would have been the results with the stock air box had you just used the supplied K&N filter. Obviously your current setup is better though, so you’re surely better off.
Yep, stubbornness and hate for K&N's lack of filtering ability.

If I'd had the K&N in the first time the results would have been similar. Funny thing, I actually took the K&N with me to the first session but we never tried a run with it in. Another "what the heck was I thinking" moment.

Anyway, glad I found all of my 102 new horsepower. First gear has become somewhat useless in trying to accelerate quickly. Older street tires which are Summer only tires in mid-40s temps doesn't help. Be a long wait for warmer weather.

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 ·
And, I would like to point out, and I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but the problem was NOT the tune. As I've said all along, the tune was great, good numbers across the board, car has always driven exceptionally well. The only change to the tune this time was to add some fueling in boost due to the greater amount of air getting to the engine. AFRs at WOT and boost are at 11.6 through the whole run. The cost for last night's dyno run and open headers/new intake experimentation and tune adjustment? $0 He said I could buy him lunch sometime. Point being, he was as curious about why this car wasn't putting out the power expected as I was.

Tuner guy wants me to get a wideband gauge so I can keep an eye on it. Speedhut has a nice gauge that has a warning light which if connected appropriately only gives an AFR warning when the throttle is wide open. From their instruction sheet:
*Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Note: Your wide band gauge can be hooked up to the TPS sensor via the green gauge wire. This feature is used if you would like to ONLY have the warning light come on when in full throttle condition. In all other partial throttle conditions, if this wire is attached to the TPS sensor, the warning light will NOT turn on.

Pretty sure that's the gauge I want and would be a good thing to monitor. The only question is, where to put it. I'm not too eager to go through that gauge pod build business all over again.....

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 ·
AFR guage is pretty important. I feel like it should be right up in your face.
It helps that the gauge I'm looking at has a really bright warning light. The one on my boost gauge is really hard to miss. Push comes to shove, I could pull out the boost gauge and put in the AFR gauge. I mean, the boost gauge is fun to watch and all, but it isn't mission critical to driving the car. The AFR gauge could be though.

·
1 of 40,757
6,791 Posts
Boost gauge is good to have when you get a boost leak or belt slip.
If it was me, my oil pressure gauge would be on the gauge surround with boost and a/f ratio in a gauge pod on the dash.

·
Registered
945 Posts
No filters on my setup, California approved

·
Wol Gemut
3,610 Posts
that's awesome. I hope you dyno that!

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #532 ·
that's awesome. I hope you dyno that!
Don't see the point. I really doubt it would make a noticeable difference from the S&B filter I have now. I wanted it mainly for the improved filtering ability (and yet it still flows as well or better than K&N/S&B filters of equal size).

·
Wol Gemut
3,610 Posts
i still would find it interesting to know. you bought it for improved filtering but Green claims it flows better, so you are in a unique position to prove or disprove.

·
Registered
945 Posts
A filter is a filter. Just replace as required and you should be good.

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·
i still would find it interesting to know. you bought it for improved filtering but Green claims it flows better, so you are in a unique position to prove or disprove.
Not going to drop hundreds of dollars to dyno it again at this point. If I have another reason to go back to the dyno, perhaps, but if that's the case something else will have changed and the testing to see if the Green flows better will have been lost. I mean, it's not like I own a dyno and nor am I made of money.

·
GR-RRR!
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 ·
I see you didn't take the bait in my reply to your FB ad. :) Can't blame you, I don't troll much. FWIW, I like the green filter that came with my X-air. (y)
I almost did but my personal opinion on K&N isn't conducive to selling one. ;) But, if someone else likes K&N I can save them a few bucks. I did run a K&N in the DuSpeed for years but I really never had any choice as K&N made the only filter that would fit that intake. I tried to convince Green to make one but they never responded. I was always monitoring that K&N filter, it was so floppy it could sag out of the housing letting air get by around the edges. I packed it with grease all the way around and found ways to get it to stay in place. Loved the DuSpeed, hated the K&N.

521 - 540 of 561 Posts