LS1GTO Forums banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
Today I got a spare lower air duct (the duct behind the front bumper's lower grill) so I can keep my original uncut. Fuel pump and fuel filter go in tomorrow, have a friend coming over to help lift the gas tank out. I'll be replacing the filler neck too while I'm in there.

Do the gas line fittings flow fuel when the quick connects are disconnected? I still have about a 1/4 tank of gas and want to be prepared when I disconnect the fittings at the bottom.

I put about 40-50 miles on the GTO today in mid-90s temps with high humidity. Combo of highway and downtown stop-and-go. Temps never got above 205 and normally were right around 198-200. Even when it did bump up a bit, it didn't go very high (used to get up to 230-240 at times) and it always came back down quickly. All the cooling system mods seem to have been a positive upgrade.

One more question/thought. I've got this thing that allows me to plug my tablet into the OBDII port and read all kinds of stats on the car. One is boost. If I am retaining the stock MAP sensor per the Magnuson instructions, will the system be able to read boost?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do the gas line fittings flow fuel when the quick connects are disconnected?
If you are disconnecting lines with the pump not powered, some fuel will come out that was in the lines but nothing will drain or siphon from the main volume of the tank itself. Probably less than 1/4 cup.
If you are trying to disconnect the lines and power the pump to empty the tank into a bucket, it will do that to some extent, but it will sputter quite a bit when it gets low cause the pump outruns the Venturi easily when there is no resistance to flow.

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
No it wont read boost
I didn't think so. But I'm not going to install and tune around a 2-bar MAP just to see boost. My tuner said the GTO ECU doesn't always work well with a 2-bar MAP anyway.

If you are disconnecting lines with the pump not powered, some fuel will come out that was in the lines but nothing will drain or siphon from the main volume of the tank itself. Probably less than 1/4 cup.
If you are trying to disconnect the lines and power the pump to empty the tank into a bucket, it will do that to some extent, but it will sputter quite a bit when it gets low cause the pump outruns the Venturi easily when there is no resistance to flow.
Good to know, that's what I was hoping. I've got the tank pretty empty so I don't plan to drain it further, was just curious about what happens when the lines are disconnected.

·
wHaT a LoVeLy DaY!
943 Posts
Vendor said the wait time is expected to be 8-10 weeks so I may get started on the fuel pump right away since that will be a PITA I suppose. The radiator will wait for the blower install since it will be nice to have the radiator out of the way in order to pin the crank. I bought a right-angle close quarter power drill for that particular job.
I have been saving for years to do this, and I am about to pull the trigger. What Vendor did you go with? I need to hustle to get that order in this week.

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
New fuel pump is in and everything is working fine. The only trouble I had was getting the vapor line loose from the bottom of the tank and getting the locking ring to fully seat upon reinstall. Anyway, everything is all buttoned up and it runs just fine. Now the hard part, waiting for the blower kit to arrive!

The bucket assembly all reassembled with the new pump and new fuel filter. I almost forgot to install the spacer on the fuel pump fitting that holds the o ring in place. Since I had a new fuel filter I just assembled the pump to the filter and proceeded to swap the rest over to the new filter housing. Then it dawned on my I'd better check the original pump and how it fits into the housing and found the spacer. Then I had to pull the new pump out of the new fuel filter and insert the spacer below the o ring. They REALLY don't want you removing the fuel pumps from the fuel filter housings, those clips are tedious to get loose.

Proof I've finally been into the one section of my car I've never been into before. I swapped in the new filler neck too.

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
Interesting tidbit about balancers and their weights:

OEM - 10.5 lbs
SLP 25% underdrive - 11.05 pounds
ATI - 9.75 lbs
Innovators West - 9.0 lbs

FWTW

Personally, I was surprised that the SLP was heavier even than stock. But was built like a rock and all steel, unlike many of the other aftermarket ones which often have aluminum outer rings.

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Since with the blower I'll be losing my BMR strut tower brace and I'm not aware of another good one that would fit with a Maggie, I painted up my stock STB. The trick will be finding a place to store it where it won't get all dinged up between now and when it will go back on the car.

·
LOVE'N LIFE
8 Posts
So I am checking my email a lot hoping Tick Performance says my TVS has shipped, just passed week 8, your build is well thought out and well done, anyways I just bought a new GM harmonic balancer to replace my SFI, my original was garaged for 10 years but looks like it was left outside. While I am down in there I think I should do water pump, oil pump and timing chain, I don’t have or really want to figure out a degree wheel, any suggestions oem? I have had a TS MS3 cam in it for 30k with 65k on it total and all oem

81 - 100 of 135 Posts