LS1GTO Forums banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
So I am checking my email a lot hoping Tick Performance says my TVS has shipped, just passed week 8, your build is well thought out and well done, anyways I just bought a new GM harmonic balancer to replace my SFI, my original was garaged for 10 years but looks like it was left outside. While I am down in there I think I should do water pump, oil pump and timing chain, I don’t have or really want to figure out a degree wheel, any suggestions oem? I have had a TS MS3 cam in it for 30k with 65k on it total and all oem
Mine just took a week under 3 months to get

·
Administrator
8,916 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I chose an OEM Cobalt SS badge:

View attachment 510155
Nice. But I don't think the font really matches the font Pontiac was using at the time. I guess mine don't either but they seem closer. But it is nice to see that our heads are in the same place.

The ones I got are actually knockoffs of badges used on Range Rovers. I suppose if I put one of them on my car it will start leaking oil and have to be repaired every other day.

·
Administrator
8,916 Posts
IMO, all the other badges out there looked out of place or too big. This one is subtle and was on a Eaton supercharged GM vehicle when GTO’s were still in the showrooms. I figure it was about as close as I could get to being a fitting badge.

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
I looked at badges again and the font is actually pretty close, just slants. There were some similar badges on earlier Pontiacs but they are all huge.

Thus far, I'm leaning toward red. Wonder if I could repaint the lettering in Brazen Orange?

·
Wol Gemut
3,518 Posts
diggin that Cobalt badge. it actually is similar to GTO font but italicized which sets it off. and then the sizing is perfect.

·
Administrator
8,916 Posts
You need a set of these now Rich:

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
You need a set of these now Rich:
View attachment 510156
Yeah, good luck on finding a set of those!

Personally, I'd be more sold on the Cobalt badge if it was satin instead of chrome.

The ones I got are satin, but the shade of silver seems different than the OEM badges on the GTO. They are cast metal though. Maybe some matte finish clear would make them match up a little better.

·
Administrator
8,916 Posts
Personally, I'd be more sold on the Cobalt badge if it was satin instead of chrome.
Interestingly enough, that 5.7 badge is now polished to match. The pic was taken a year ago.

·
Administrator
8,916 Posts
The "Supercharged by Magnuson" license plate frame that comes with the kit was a bit too flashy for me…
Yeah, I hung that on my wall over an old plate I used to have on one of my previous GTO’s.

Reactions: JTRR

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I just pulled my kit out today and didnt see one. Ill have to look again
FYI check the box contents against the BOM supplied. mine didnt have the plate and it wasnt checked off on the BOM.

the BOM isnt really that great anyways as i couldnt figure out what certain things were. like the vacuum and belt description but there isnt any label corresponding to that on anything. all i can do is assume that everything is there that didnt have the specific matching label

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,916 Posts
Yeah the BOM is pathetic. The part numbers don’t all match with what was in the box.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine included an extra valve for a 2004 kit that had no place on the 05. Which took a while to figure out.

·
GR-RRR!
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
It's been two weeks so I checked in with my vendor to see if they have any news on an ETA for my kit. They responded that they said they are hoping to have it by the end of the month. I laughed pretty loud at that one.

Over the past few days I've received a new Elite Engineering mounting bracket for when I need to move the catch can to a new location on the driver's side and an extension harness for the IAT. I'd rather use an extension harness than cut into my car's wiring harness. There are some aspects of the Magnuson kit which seem a little more difficult than need be such as the location of the IAT and not just building it with a plug and attached longer wires along with a ready-made IAT breakout harness and a fuel pump booster instead of just a bigger fuel pump. In the case of the fuel pump booster, I'm pretty sure a new fuel pump would actually cost less than the booster and is a cleaner install and leaves more room for upping the boost later on. And since Magnuson no longer provides a base tune for the kit, why do they care where the IAT is actually located? The car will have to be tuned anyway and the tune can account for the IAT location characteristics. Personally, I already have an IAT breakout harness and with the IAT extension I'll likely just put the IAT sensor, I already have an Omega fast acting sensor, in the hole the wires come through and call it good.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts