LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only mods I have is exhaust. Everrything else is stock. So her si a look into my three runs with there times: I have never done this in any car period.

RUN 1
I have seen alot of advice on the boards here for first timers to leave the T/C on on the first run to get a feel of the launch so I left it on. I have also seen not to burn out on the stock rubber as it does no good so I didnt. I pull up to the tree for stageing and the guy that lines you up looks at me and tells me "If your not going to burnout, dont drive threw the water(oops).
So I am waiting for the light and Boom I drop the clutch (around 2500) and the T/C relizes my tires are wet and pulls fuel. I went down most of the track with the loose traction light on. (I was nervous and looked at the speedo more than the tach. so here are the results.
R/T: .483
60': 3.131
1/8: 10.589
1000: 13.36
1/4: 15.7
MPH: 96.61

Run 2:
Take the traction control off, go around the water slick and lauch around 2500. I bogged a little and heard hop in second.
R/T:.303
60': 2.667
1/8: 9.825
1000:12.5
1/4 14.75
MPH:100.43

LAST RUN:
Same approuch except my buddies told me to launch at 3000. so I did since I bogged at 2500. (Big Mistake) I spun to redline and let off the gas while switching to 2nd gear hence putting me at about 2700 in second.(shakes head)
R/T:.102
60':2.803
1/8: 11.074
1000:13.819
1/4: 16.108
MPH: 98.31

and I got beat buy a skittle on that last run.

So any tips andsuggestions for my next mod. I should have removed the amps and subs and maybe the back seats. I am debating on the following for the next mod. Please give Ideas and justify.
A) Drag Bags
B) set of DR's
C)CAI

thanx gents
Chuch

·
Registered
406 Posts
You Want A Little Wheel Spin On Launch Not A Lot So You Got To Ease Into The Gas Not Mash It.once You Get That Down The Rest Will Be Easy.

·
♫♪♪♫♪
437 Posts
Driver mod should be the first one. Get those 60' times lower.
Most do a little dry burnout to clean off the tires. And even the stock tires need to be warm for best traction.

Since you are new to this, be sure to not let off the throttle until you are sure you're past the finish line. It is a common mistake for newbies to let off too soon.
And of course, don't hold it at WOT too long either.

Be safe, and enjoy!

·
Registered
182 Posts
The best thing for you to do is to get more time at the track. Keep going, learn to launch your car and get those 60ft times down. Your car makes good power stock so with the addition of the cat-back you should be able to put some nice times up. Watch out for heat soak, give you car some time to cool down. My first time out I ran 14.3 @ 99 as a best and my second time which was last night I hit a 13.8 @ 101mph thats with a K&N only. They aren't super fast times, but respectable for a stock car. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, and good advice on the letting of the pedal before the finish because I did that in my first race since I was paired with a SVT Contuor and I beat him, so I floated the finish.
Chuch

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
G.T.O said:
Driver mod should be the first one. Get those 60' times lower.
Most do a little dry burnout to clean off the tires. And even the stock tires need to be warm for best traction.

Since you are new to this, be sure to not let off the throttle until you are sure you're past the finish line. It is a common mistake for newbies to let off too soon.

Be safe, and enjoy!
+1 And don't pay to much attention to the person staging next to you. Run your race and try to get everything out of you and your car if you win thats gravy.

60's are killing you but you probably already know that. These cars are 12 sec capable out of the box providing you've got good air and driver. Enjoy!

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
Lorider680 said:
Thanks guys, and good advice on the letting of the pedal before the finish because I did that in my first race since I was paired with a SVT Contuor and I beat him, so I floated the finish.
Chuch
You can get a few of those mods if you want, I would add a dynotune to the mix also. But like everyone has said, driver mod first to get the 60fts down to the 2.0-1.9 area. You will need to do a burnout to accomplish those times. I would do the burnout just in front of the water box before the staging lights. If you have slicks or drag radials, then a waterbox burnout is fine. And whats up with this floating to the finish stuff? Right now you should just concentrate on yourself. Don't worry if your going up against a Yugo or a 4sec dragster. Hell, I wouldn't even worry about the tree and reaction times. Your ET will not start till you cross the beams.

·
Went over to the darkside.
970 Posts
Ironmancan said:
And don't pay to much attention to the person staging next to you. Run your race and try to get everything out of you and your car if you win thats gravy.
Come on dude, we are just human. If some vette or stang lines up next to us, it is human nature to say to heck with the times and get a kill.

I agree with you, but damn, that's hard to do. :gears: :gears: :gears:

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
Old_Goat said:
Come on dude, we are just human. If some vette or stang lines up next to us, it is human nature to say to heck with the times and get a kill.

I agree with you, but damn, that's hard to do. :gears: :gears: :gears:
I understand what your are saying, but that vette is the least of his worries with a 3 sec 60ft and 15-16 sec ET. And I'm not tring to be mean, my first time track runs netted me 15sec ETs too, but I fixed that before I started to even think about the guy in the other lane.
The best thing to happen to this thread starter is that he gets mad at what he ran, gets mad at me calling him slow, and figures out how to get these times down. He will be back at the track in no time fixing this issue.

This is what happened to me on my first run at the track:
http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45528

This what I did to fix that sh$t:
http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47545

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, on my 14.7 time I shifted perfect just a little early. I think I shoulod let it go to 6500 instead of 6000 to shift and your right, everyone has told me how horrible my 60' times are. I am aiming for 14.0-14.5 on my next best time on friday. I think that can happen.
Chuch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts