LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I get that, homie. Same how bearings and cylinder walls wear, but it's not a problem until it happens faster than it should.

People put x00,000,'s of miles on ls stock valvetrains. Whatever happens at the valvetip is the least concern. It's not an "advantage" if your trying to eliminate a problem that is so negligible as to be considered, for all practical purposes, nonexistant.

OK yes I agree. I was being too technical pointing it out as an advantage

·
Worthless reject member
39,143 Posts
Rich get a 224r .590 ish cam and never look back. At that duration and lift even I don't think you need new lifters LOL
I could sell him that NIB FTI SS-TQ cam i have sitting around.

220/224, 112 lsa, like 4 degs overlap. I forget lift, upper 500's, i don't remember.

EDIT nah, 220/224, 111 lsa, 0 deg overlap .597/.592... would be perfect for him.

Ehhh... but i wanna keep it for myself. Dang.

·
GR-RRR!
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, just to keep the discussion going if only academically, if a concern would be with aluminum rockers being less reliable or heavier, how about something like Comp Cams' steel roller rockers?

·
Worthless reject member
39,143 Posts
Not sure how the ultra pro magnums compare to scorpion, harland, or YT.

One thing i was wondering, actually, is who sells jesel sportsman stainless rockers for the ls1/ls2/ls6. They have it on their website but the vendors i've checked only list their aluminum bodied rockers.

·
Unaware of loss, Nor of gain
8,097 Posts
So, just to keep the discussion going if only academically, if a concern would be with aluminum rockers being less reliable or heavier, how about something like Comp Cams' steel roller rockers?

They are only 1.8, right?

·
Worthless reject member
39,143 Posts
Ah, you are correct. I thought they finally came out with the 1.7 ratio.

I think the TSP steel rollers are 1.72, now that i think of it. They offer 1.82 rockers for ls7 and gen v lt engines.

·
GR-RRR!
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nope. The comp steels only come in 1.8. You'll also need valve covers spacers or taller covers.
I already have Holley valve covers but I don't think they'd qualify as tall covers. They are slightly taller than stock, but not by much.

·
GR-RRR!
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I could really piss some of you off by mentioning I have an LS7 cam sitting around I could use. I mean, the price is right. Sold the heads pretty quick, that's where I got the funding for the Kooks.

·
Worthless reject member
39,143 Posts
Actually doing some snooping on ls1tech, some claim they do fit under the stock valve covers.

Now, perhaps that might be the bolt-in version. The version with the poly locks look to stick up a lot taller.

·
Worthless reject member
39,143 Posts

From a few years ago. I actually remember reading some of it now that i go over it again.

Looks like the older 1.75 comp rockers with polylocks/studs/guideplates fit the stock valve covers with a little modding.

·
Worthless reject member
39,143 Posts
I could really piss some of you off by mentioning I have an LS7 cam sitting around I could use. I mean, the price is right. Sold the heads pretty quick, that's where I got the funding for the Kooks.
LS7 is a decent sized cam, actually. It's got a big split, and about -21 degrees or so overlap, but there was a hotrod article where it gained a nice amount of hp/tq on a 5.3l. Should be nice on a 6.0.

LS7 with 1.8 rollers and some nice valvesprings. LS7 springs have 31x+ lbs of open pressure... gotta find out what the rollers will want. Might idle like stock, might chop almost imperceptibly. HMMMN.

You might be a genius.

·
GR-RRR!
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I actually read a number of posts and articles about jamming a used LS7 cam in an LS2. Some liked it, some thought it was a waste of time. Pretty much the same answer on anything you ask about nowadays!

Though, like the heads, I'll probably just try to sell it. I'm not desperately interested in going to all the trouble of a cam install.

So, 40 posts in and I still haven't seen an actual answer to my original question. Just sayin'.

But then somewhere someone mentioned a Boost District LSA kit. A LOT less expensive than a Maggie. Hmmm.

21 - 40 of 160 Posts