LS1GTO.com Forums banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
yeah, the valve will open a tiny bit. should be preload x rocker ratio or something like that. give it a minute and the lifter will bleed back down.
That's good to know.

·
Worthless reject member
39,227 Posts
With the stock rockers, if the lifter is is resting on the base circle, after a few minutes you can wiggle the rocker side to side at the trunnion. You might be able to do that with a roller rocker, not sure.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Had a little time today and tested the rocker wipe pattern. Right in the friggin' middle! I've decided to buy a set of 7.400 chromoly pushrods just to play it safe.

I guess I can't go to larger diameter pushrods on unmodified stock heads. So, what IS the stock diameter so I don't get the wrong type?

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Got all the old rockers off. The stock pushrods look fantastic. Next up is to replace the springs. That ought to be fun.

Today I also rebuilt the valve covers. To accommodate the spacers you have to install new bolts and spacers. A bit more of a chore that it seems like it should be.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Still on the fence about getting new pushrods. Stockers look great, don't need to upgrade due to length. Insurance?

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
I got the right bank of valve springs installed without any problems. The air hose thing was being a useless PITA so I just went back to the tried and true rope method. Soaking the rockers in oil now, hope to have the springs done in the next few days and then I can get the rockers on too. Haven't made up my mind about new pushrods. The stockers look fantastic.

I went ahead and ordered the Magnum pushrods. My focus this coming week will be to finish the springs. Only one bank to go, shouldn't be hard. It will go in for an alignment and look-see at the tune the week after this coming week. If he has time, maybe I'll get a new dyno reading.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
All the valve springs are now in. No problems encountered thus far. Just waiting for the new pushrods to install the rockers.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Harland Sharp finally got back to me. I didn't have the heart to tell them I went another route quite a while ago. Anyway, they said the springs I was considering would be more than adequate even without shimming. So, if they think those springs can control their rockers, they would have even better results with the Comps since they are even lighter at the tip than the HSs.

So, through this journey there were two groups that could have had some business if their response times had been better. Maybe I'm too impatient? Regardless, I'm still very confident about the combo I chose and am looking forward to firing it up. Probably will be able to do so this coming weekend. Lunati has specific break in procedures which aren't too tough to follow.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Pushrods are to be delivered today. Have to be in training all day and late into the day so I won't get any work done on the GTO today.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Rockers and pushrods are installed and the valve covers are bolted down to cap it all off. I still have to clean things up, install the coils and wires and install the radiator fans and intake and retighten the crank bolt they it should be ready to fire.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Looks like I'm pretty much the only one posting in this thread but I'll keep posting just because. I was going to button it all up tonight but gremlins kept biting my ass. First I realized I had failed to install the new valve cover gasket I had bought on one side. Once I figured out which side it was I forgot to do it was no big deal, but I can say the ICT bolt and spacer system for the valve cover spacers is a real POS. Every time you take the covers off you lose at least one or two of the spacers and their little retaining clips and have to retrieve them from the top of the cylinder head. And maybe it's just me, but finding the bolt holes for the valve cover bolts is an exercise in frustration. Anyway, lost time redoing one valve cover. Then I spent time cleaning up the valve covers, oil drips and all my tools. Then I got the coils reinstalled and plugged in. The new spark plug wires LOOK great but many didn't clip soundly onto the plugs and I had to crush the clips a bit for a snug fit. Also, since they are too long I had to find an orientation that didn't push the wire or the boot onto the headers. The clips that go into the coils are nothing to brag about either. I fought them and got them all solidly attached, but I have to wonder if they will fall off once the engine is running.

I then touched up the paint on the valve covers and the strut tower bar and reinstalled the strut tower bar. By then my allotted 1.5 hours was gone and I had to quit for the day, had to go sign tax papers. At least I got a small refund this year instead of paying in. Well, refund from the feds and have to pay a small amount to the state. I did spend a few extra minutes tightening down the balancer bolt. Geez what a hassle. So, I still have to reinstall the fans and shroud and the intake tomorrow and then I can start it up and see if I did more damage than good. Lunati's spring break in protocol says to keep the engine between 1500 and 2000 until the engine is fully warmed up and then shut it off and let it cool completely. That's going to be hard, I am eager to see how it really drives after the headers and rocker combo. It goes in for an alignment and tune review on Wednesday. Maybe if there is time, he will dyno it again.

·
Worthless reject member
39,227 Posts
Hmmn.

I wonder if just getting a set of taller valve covers and longer wires could have been easier, or clearancing the holley covers would have been possible.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Hmmn.

I wonder if just getting a set of taller valve covers and longer wires could have been easier, or clearancing the holley covers would have been possible.
I never did check to see how much interference there would be without the spacer. But just looking at the new rockers installed, it pretty much looks obvious they need some kind of spacer. Taller valve covers would have been a lot easier but more expensive. I wouldn't have needed longer wires with tall valve covers, the wires I have are already too long to work really well without touching the headers. Concerning the wires, I just hope they stay put.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
It's alive! I got it all buttoned up this morning. I checked all the electrical connections and that everything was cleaned up. Then I spent some time cleaning up my tools and putting them away in their proper places. Then I rechecked all the electrical connections and that everything was installed properly. I found that my 13mm socket was missing but the last time I used it was to reinstall the strut tower bar so I knew it wasn't in the engine or anything like that. I eventually found it under some trash at the edge of the garage floor by the wall. I hate losing tools so I'm glad I found it.

The spark plug wires stayed attached overnight and during the valve spring break in. The car fired right up and per the Lunati instructions I kept it at 1500 RPMs until the engine was fully warmed up. The instructions say to let it sit and return to room temperature before doing anything else so I didn't really get a chance to drive it yet. There were no weird noises, no codes, no lights on the dash, seemed to run real nice. No oil leaks, might have an exhaust leak, will have to check the header bolts once it cools down. Tightening down the new crank bolt was the hardest part of today's efforts along with reinstalling the fans and shroud, that's always a puzzle to get that assembly in and out.

Next step is an alignment and a check in on the tune. That comes up next Wednesday. Don't want to drive it hard until those things have been completed.

·
Registered
2006 GTO
153 Posts
Waiting on those numbers! I am ready to welcome you to the 400whp club.

·
GR-RRR!
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Waiting on those numbers! I am ready to welcome you to the 400whp club.
Check out my new thread about the SOTP results.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts