LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Oxford White Sheep Squadron
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lol yes that includes buying a jack, stands, oil and filter. Went with Synthetic so we'll see how that goes. After the walmart incident I swore that the only one changing oil from now on was going to be me. No worries though...

Just wondering if anyone else does their own or takes it someplace like I used to....

·
CAR CRAZY
318 Posts
Here's a good tip if you want to change your oil at the dealer for documentation - go to Costco, buy the Mobil 1 (6 qt.) case there. It's about $26 or so (they have the correct specification oil at the best price I've been able to find, Walmart was about $35 I think) and take it to your dealer and have them use it. John Hine goes for that and then it's only $30 for the filter and labor. (or change it yourself as suggested above, it just won't be documented for warranty purposes, but I don't think it's required, I just like that extra coverage and proof of maintenance on record) Dean

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
do all your own oil changes.. the dealers can really screw your car up, beyond just the wrong oil(thats why my bumper doesn't fit right or match color...).. fwiw i would invest in some ramps. they're easier to use and they don't dent up the bottom of your car. they're real handy when you want all 4 corners of the car in the air, ie catback, etc.. mobil1 5w30 ftw! if you don't have a filter wrench, the k&n filters have a 1" nut on the back so you can take them off easily. and be sure to fill the filter before you install it. gm blessed us by mounting the filter vertically. so let's take advantage.
ps i use well over 6qt for my changes, so 1 case won't quite cut it. i buy 8qt, use most of the 7th and toss the unopened 8th in the trunk, just in case.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I absolutly do my own maintenance. It has to get real complicated before it goes to a shop and that hasn't happened yet.
Changed the oil in my G/F's Silverado today. Mobil 1 synthetic. Gives me a chance to crawl around under there and see what the condition is as far as any pending problems. All looked ok.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
Well, I heard on LS1tech that walmart has the full service oil change with synthetic oil for $38.99, sure enough they do and I've been using them for 2 years now. Its documented, and includes the oil/filter. A bunch of people are gonna chime in and say well I dont trust them, blah blah blah. If they screw up they will be liable for anything wrong. You will know if your oil is low, or if the drain plug isnt tight. How hard is it honestly to double check that they did it all correct. It sure beats getting out the jack stands, and busting your ass for $12. Plus it is documented, a major plus.

·
Sugar..in..water..
835 Posts
I go to a local EZ Lube. They charge me $20 (I supply the oil) and I just stand 2 feet in front of my car and watch them as they do it. Takes 15 minutes.

·
Ready Steady GO
105 Posts
whiteboyslo said:
oh jesus. not another 'who does their own oil change' thread.

Mike
lol its better than worring about who will mess up your car without knowing it.

and yes i do my own oil change. and why on earth would you go to walmart...lol next time try to do it yourself or provide the oil and the filter to the mechanic. its much cheaper

·
S1C:+:GTO
950 Posts
dude im changing my oil this weekend and my g/fs. if you want you should come by and change it here and later we can cruise!!

·
Site Sponsor
800 Posts
ha ha, is changing your guys oil a big deal to you guys, i wonder when someone is going to mention dropping in a k&n filter and getting all excited because they di it all by themselves.:)

·
4,065 Posts
Rynez06 said:
ha ha, is changing your guys oil a big deal to you guys, i wonder when someone is going to mention dropping in a k&n filter and getting all excited because they di it all by themselves.:)

Who has time? Its like Coffee and carwash's now. Just pay someone else to do it. I didnt buy the car to get dirty for oil, now if it was something major that would be a different story. After changing the oil on all of my cars, I've grown fond of doing hard labor, let the $7 an hour Walmart boys get some work done.

After 50-60 oil changes I havent had a problem yet, so dont step in with all the bashes. I love the faces on these guys when they pop the hood. Actually since I have stepped up to Royal purple, I have to take it to specific shops. But the Walmart Boys do see my other cars.

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
Rynez06 said:
no, but i am excited about deleting the bumper supports and taking that 20# of soundproof tar off the floor of my 240... its just taking forever.. <2000lbs FTW!!

·
Site Sponsor
800 Posts
Flash99 said:
Who has time? Its like Coffee and carwash's now. Just pay someone else to do it. I didnt buy the car to get dirty for oil, now if it was something major that would be a different story. After changing the oil on all of my cars, I've grown fond of doing hard labor, let the $7 an hour Walmart boys get some work done.

After 50-60 oil changes I havent had a problem yet, so dont step in with all the bashes. I love the faces on these guys when they pop the hood. Actually since I have stepped up to Royal purple, I have to take it to specific shops. But the Walmart Boys do see my other cars.
royal purple is crap, use the german castrol

·
4,065 Posts
Rynez06 said:
royal purple is crap, use the german castrol

Holding up good for me. Gotta get that synchromesh in this week. Hey can you make Perris this Friday?

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
There's only one mechanic allowed to touch my car for that type of maintenance. He's gonna freak when he sees a 383 stroker under the hood. :gears:

·
4,065 Posts
Walmart

Ftw!

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
I only allow convicts to work on my car. lol. Get the whole job done for 2 packs of cigarettes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts