LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In all my searches on this board, i haven't seen anyone else complain about this issue, there's so little clearance on my car that the little balancing weight is hitting the nut even after i cut and sanded it down. I reckon tomorrow i'll see about moving it over a few inches and then keep my fingers crossed that my BFH job on the heatshields bought me enough clearance elsewhere...

Edit: Just talked to a friend with a GTO, i'm going to replace the subframe bushings too, that might get me a little more clearance.

·
Is that FWD?
1,077 Posts
In all my searches on this board, i haven't seen anyone else complain about this issue, there's so little clearance on my car that the little balancing weight is hitting the nut even after i cut and sanded it down. I reckon tomorrow i'll see about moving it over a few inches and then keep my fingers crossed that my BFH job on the heatshields bought me enough clearance elsewhere...

Edit: Just talked to a friend with a GTO, i'm going to replace the subframe bushings too, that might get me a little more clearance.

View attachment 502245
My carbon fiber one is no where near that close. I put some washers on the bolts under the rear seats. Maybe check re-springs for sagging, etc. Bushings might help. I replaced those on mine too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My carbon fiber one is no where near that close. I put some washers on the bolts under the rear seats. Maybe check re-springs for sagging, etc. Bushings might help. I replaced those on mine too.
x2. something is off. possibly subframe bushings but i dont think springs would have any effect since they raise the subframe and body both.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Prolly all the bushings are bad but some new subframe bushings wouldn't hurt. Or go solid. Also was there a lot of room to slide the driveshaft into the trans and over the diff flange, or was its real tight?

·
Is that FWD?
1,077 Posts
Here is how much clearance I have before and after install. I removed heat shields and installed washers on the bolts from under the seats.

Not sure what is going on with yours, but something is way off.

·
1 of 40,757
6,399 Posts
Here is how much clearance I have before and after install. I removed heat shields and installed washers on the bolts from under the seats.

Not sure what is going on with yours, but something is way off.

Did you end up getting longer bolts? DSS has said there was a hardware mixup with some kits.

·
Is that FWD?
1,077 Posts
Did you end up getting longer bolts? DSS has said there was a hardware mixup with some kits.
No. Just used blue lock tight and torqued them properly. I check bolts every once is a while. They havent move even after 50 or so passes at track

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prolly all the bushings are bad but some new subframe bushings wouldn't hurt. Or go solid. Also was there a lot of room to slide the driveshaft into the trans and over the diff flange, or was its real tight?
I wouldn't say it was tight, but it was close. within 1/2" if not a little closer.

I didn't end up drilling new holes. After sleeping on it, it occurred to me that i hadn't even tried to hammer it up. A few good wacks with a hammer and there was no more interference but it was still close. Then i just put a big socket on my jack saddle and bent the floorboard up really nice. Ended up with plenty of room. Did the same for the heatshield bolt too. You can see how much room i made in the misalignment of the seatbelts now.

As for the diff angle, it eyeballs up pretty well. I think it's probably just totally shot subframe bushings on a 167k mile daily driver

After i got this in, then i got to have fun with the new exhaust, the mufflers were literally touching the driveshaft with the stock hangers stretched. The longest size at the parts store (2.25" center to center vs. 1.5" stock) didn't buy me much room so i had to wait for some amazon 4 hole hangers that were about 3" center to center. No after pictures, once i got rolling to get this together i just buttoned it up and took it for a ride.

All's well that ends well i guess. I may do the subframe bushings eventually. I'm just keeping this old girl on the road now, i'm not looking for excuses to spend money. The draiveshaft was necessary, the carrier bearing was more than gone. Needed the exhaust too, one of the stock mufflers had finally rusted a hole in it

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It really wasn't that troublesome once i used the jack to clearance the floorboard and now i never need to touch it again. I've never seen anything that say the 2004 driveshaft is rebuildable, just the 05-06. I've been through this before, this is the second driveshaft i trashed, i almost went this route last time until i was talking to a friend about his 1 piece DS and he offered to give me his old one for free. No free driveshaft was available this time and the only other option is a dorman stock type replacement which is actually like $30 more than i paid for this.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Its the same shaft, regardless of bolt spacing. Same part number, same exact platform. Rebuilt mine and bought several aftermarket shafts. Had to get rid of the 1pc though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts