LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here goes...
05'GTO 12500 miles.
i read about the strut rub here on the forum. Hmm, i say. I wonder if i have that problem. Yup tires are friggin bald on the insides. The strut is rubbed on.
Great.
I take it down to the dealers... the dealers here in Rapid City dont know how to fix it.... so they call GM.
GM says, sorry that is not a warranty item and we can fix it. We have a bulletin here about it but cant release it to dealers because its not official. Tell the driver (me) just "not to drive so fast"

HOLY CRAP ARE YOU SERIOUS.

so i called GM. Went up three rungs on the ladder. They are going to call me back in the morning. If they cant "help" me. Im going straight to the reigonal manager.

ARG!

·
2006 IMPULSE BLUE M6 GTO
1,153 Posts
man that bites. let us know what happens. what size wheels do you have 17 or 18in? just wondering.

·
ROad Goat
220 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
yeah i got under my car last weekend, and i looked at my tires, and i was probly a few miles from a blowout....the srut rubbed through the rubber, and metal. im suprised they didnt come apart. the strut was completely cut/polished up from the contact

·
ROad Goat
220 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Update: on the phone with GM all day. The area and corporate speacilist supervisor (who has never heard of this) is calling me back tommorow. I had a heated conversation with him today.

Well see what happens... apperntly by a new girls suprise, i have quite a few notes on my file now.

·
That ain't no cake
2,671 Posts
MrSinister said:
Update: on the phone with GM all day. The area and corporate speacilist supervisor (who has never heard of this) is calling me back tommorow. I had a heated conversation with him today.

Well see what happens... apperntly by a new girls suprise, i have quite a few notes on my file now.
Any word on what is going on with your strut rub problem. Took mine in today and they said there was no problem, it's common with the GTO, nothing dangerous, this was the service advisor. I told him I wasn't satisfied and he said he will check with his boss in the morning. So we'll see.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup..

I hope so. After a week and a half of assaults between me and General Motors corporate, they finally are going to comp me 4 new tired and the alingment to fix it.

put about oh.. 200-300 minutes on my phone bill though.
They will be calling me today hopefully to set up the appt.

the sad part... they still have not admitted there is a problem.

·
9 Second Club
14,800 Posts
78gto said:
I also have that issue with mine as well. My question is should we be charge to fix the strut problem?
Here is a thought if you are in the DFW area. I went to 5 of 8 dealerships to have the problem corrected. Paid $70 each visit only to be told the struts were within factory specs. I finally took it to an independent guy that does SCCA work for lots of racers around town. He saw the problem and fixed it right away for $59. The problem is the alignment. The original specs called for a negative limit of -1.12 I think, or some figure way out there anyhow. The struts are going to rub if your camber is beyond -0.4. Problem is to adjust the camber, an innovative front end guy, not some former discount tire wheelwasher, has to remove the one time use adjustment bolts and clean out the holes they are in so they can get the adjustment down. At first mine wouldn't go closer than -0.4 but my guy did get mine down to -0.10. I haven't had a problem for the last 35,000 miles, hard miles.

If I were anywhere within 500 miles I'd drive over to DMS and have him do it. Since I had my problem Pedders has come out with some pretty darn good front end components, especially the camber adjustments. Also, I have discovered that James Wood in DFW, one of three dealers I didn't go seems to have a pretty good grip on the whole range of alignment issues, including cradle alignment. Do a search under strut rub, there were a lot of good threads and discussions about a year ago. Miscreant, why2kmax, and DMS were among the leading posters.

Many service department guys are idiots and arguing with them is like wrestling with pigs, you get dirty and the pigs like it. If you piss them off enough they get on the computer and blacklist you for all warranty claims. Finding a real alignment guy that knows what he is doing gets the problem solved in a few minutes and it stays solved. Finding those that argue or cannot or won't fix it has merit though, if you continue doing business with them it means you are an idiot. JMHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts