LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GTO Salsa Red Metallic 6M
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been pondering supercharging my GTO.
I want PDS so no Procharger here. Not even an consideration for me.
I want low end torque with next level HP over the stock car.

I am running a GMPP crate motor which has the LS3 heads on an LQ9 iron block. which yields 10.3:1 compression ratio so blower friendly
But cast pistons and daily driver status, leaves me in the "lets keep it reasonable" mode.

So the easy option would be LSA supercharger, but my tuner feels the TVS2300 would suit the car better.
Plus from reading on here it looks to have better hood clearances from those who have done it.
Dream world right now is TVS2300 with 9lbs'ish boost with a NA stage 2 cam which is what he would do.
He feels it would allow us more latitude since the dynamic compression would be less at lower rpm, and would allow us to push for more
timing up top.

Flip side is the OEM look of a LSA supercharger. And a more friendly price and some of you have made some stout numbers with that combo.

I have been reading all I can find on here and it seams that the old threads showed that the availability of a combination
of a rec port tub and middle offset drive assembly was a challenge to get put together. I have read it was done but not a buy it option.
From what I can see it looks like you buy a GTO kit and buy a separate rec port bottom manifold.

Is that still the case?
and for a mild daily driver that is a weekend toy is it worth it?
For a long time to come I want to leave the bottom end of the motor alone since I just paid for the crate motor.

Let the opinions FLY!

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
Well, you’re not buying a GTO kit anymore unless you can find a used one because they’re discontinued. May be able to adapt a G8/Camaro kit if you have rectangular port heads though. The lower pulley on the head unit is in a different location though, so not sure how that would all work. LSA may be your better bet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a couple places that list them.
Maybe it is an old listing that was never removed.
Tick Performance is one.
But I am thinking the LSA is more likely with my combo.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Tick Performance is one.
But I am thinking the LSA is more likely with my combo.
Tick just places the order with magnuson.

The lsa is the easy route to get.

If the gto didnt have unique spacing there would be a plethora of blowers available

·
Worthless reject member
54,709 Posts
so... what's the reason we can't go with a different accessory drive and harmonic balancer spacing?

i'm not sure the stock hood would close with the alternator in the same spot as the corvette... for one example. you might not be able to run an a/c compressor. but... things could be still be moved around and adjusted.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
so... what's the reason we can't go with a different accessory drive and harmonic balancer spacing?

i'm not sure the stock hood would close with the alternator in the same spot as the corvette... for one example. you might not be able to run an a/c compressor. but... things could be still be moved around and adjusted.
No reason you cant. A/c being the difficult one. Swapping to camaro offset would open options.

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
I work for Eaton and have close ties to Magnuson. You cannot get a new GTO TVS2300 kit. Anyone who lists them as new is giving you false hope as their order will get cancelled by Magnuson.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Wouldnt go lsa unless theres someone that actually sells a kit. Or you dont mind peicing something together. Hunting for a maggie seems like the route if you wont want powerband of a procharger.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Pros:
if you go lsa accessory drive you get to maintain a separate blower belt

blower options. id lean towards a kong 2650 lsa style orrrrrrr if you want to be really cool a magnuson hot rod kit which i think will actually fit better than the gto kit once a cowl hood was installed. the hotrod kit puts the blower farther forward which should keep the rear pulleys from being under the cowl and is typically the powerhouse of 2650 and under blowers, with no shaft going through the intake and having rear pulley options it will make more power than a lsa style.

Cons:
accessory drives are mix & matched. a/c requiring different clutch and something else?

absolutely worth it though. daily driver status here 365 days a year. rain/snow/shine. puts a grin on my face every time i step into it. 17k miles on mine since blower install (sitting at 131k now).

linkys:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wouldnt go lsa unless theres someone that actually sells a kit. Or you dont mind peicing something together. Hunting for a maggie seems like the route if you wont want powerband of a procharger.
Boost District sells the LSA kit, it is actually where I bought my crate motor.
Roshan had the last one I could find in the US.

Pros:
if you go lsa accessory drive you get to maintain a separate blower belt

blower options. id lean towards a kong 2650 lsa style orrrrrrr if you want to be really cool a magnuson hot rod kit which i think will actually fit better than the gto kit once a cowl hood was installed. the hotrod kit puts the blower farther forward which should keep the rear pulleys from being under the cowl and is typically the powerhouse of 2650 and under blowers, with no shaft going through the intake and having rear pulley options it will make more power than a lsa style.

Cons:
accessory drives are mix & matched. a/c requiring different clutch and something else?

absolutely worth it though. daily driver status here 365 days a year. rain/snow/shine. puts a grin on my face every time i step into it. 17k miles on mine since blower install (sitting at 131k now).

linkys:

I thought about the Kong that just adds a huge chunk of cost.
Or if I was doing a cowl, Boost district has a complete tvs2650 kit.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Boost District sells the LSA kit, it is actually where I bought my crate motor.
Roshan had the last one I could find in the US.

I thought about the Kong that just adds a huge chunk of cost.
Or if I was doing a cowl, Boost district has a complete tvs2650 kit.
forgot about that. i havent heard of anyone say the gen2 of their kit doesnt fit under the stock hood but im not sure anyone has installed it either. i know the kong lid does clear the stock hood

·
Super Moderator
19,208 Posts
Did you say cast pistons? what are the ring gaps?

Speaking from experience even an LSA can break those.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont know the ring gap.
This is a GMPP crate motor kniwn as the. LS364/450HP.
it is LQ9 block, LS3 heads, LS2 crank, pistons, rods, and the later model LS6 cam which is just a touch hitter than the LS2 cam.
So it is factory gap.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One of the good parts is the LS3 heads save me an adapter for the blower manifold for LSA or kong blowers. That combined with the Hinson lowering motor mounts should help with hood clearances.

I planned ahead on this.

All of this is planning at this point unless I suddenly come into some big caah.
I like to have a full plan well in adavnce.

·
Super Moderator
19,208 Posts
That is a popular engine for sure. I have no doubt you can throw some boost at it but keep the PSI low. The timing with 10.3:1 likely won't be much either.

Resist the urge to keep turning it up which will be hard to do. It becomes addictive.

Reactions: bo06gto

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you can run e85 you will be fine. I’m at 10.6 to 1 and with only 50 percent E I was running 17 psi at 17 degrees peak timing. Now with 50/50 water meth I’m running 20 psi and 18 degrees peak timing. On pump gas you will probably be limited to 13 or less peak timing on 10.3 to 1 compression and anything over 10 psi better have a spot on tune.

Reactions: bo06gto

·
Worthless reject member
54,709 Posts
I dont know the ring gap.
This is a GMPP crate motor kniwn as the. LS364/450HP.
it is LQ9 block, LS3 heads, LS2 crank, pistons, rods, and the later model LS6 cam which is just a touch hitter than the LS2 cam.
So it is factory gap.
factory gap can be all over the place, from what i understand.

it's better to just gap the rings now and save yourself a busted ringland.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts