LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
factory gap can be all over the place, from what i understand.

it's better to just gap the rings now and save yourself a busted ringland.
This right here. I'm a nitrous fan and some ls engines cam hadle a 200 shot consistently, others fry about your 10th shot, and then others don't make it off the dyno. Being that the engine is really not set up for boost, take the time and do it right. The plethora of posts, through out all LS groups, of people frying their engines either from boost or nitrous on a stock ring gap set up is painful.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Boost District sells the LSA kit, it is actually where I bought my crate motor.
Roshan had the last one I could find in the US.
They didnt sell a kit. They sold 6 parts or so and took months to get. And one sheet of generic instructions. Missing lot of stuff he said was coming in the kit. Not a company I would trust again after this mess.

·
Registered
2005 red, Mast blk label heads and cam, magnacharger mp112, e85 conversion, FLT stage 6
198 Posts
forgot about that. i havent heard of anyone say the gen2 of their kit doesnt fit under the stock hood but im not sure anyone has installed it either. i know the kong lid does clear the stock hood
I thought I read that the kong 2650 would not fit under the stock hood, even with lower mounts?

·
Registered
2006 GTO Salsa Red Metallic 6M
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Good Information guys.
There are a lot of really informed people on here.

Plusses, loads of good feedback on what to do and what not to do.

minusses, added concern over my thoughts moving forward.

I do think I will be planning a low boost, my tuner recommended 8-9 psi.
He also said we should do a flex fuel mod and program accordingly.

All that said I am not fond of the idea of pulling the motor all over again to do ring gap on new motor.
if I was going that far I would do forged internals and make it bullet proof.
But dont want to create an issue by not doing it either.

If that is a necessity it will push my plans of supercharging years down the road and just do a cam short term.

Reactions: bo06gto

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Good Information guys.

All that said I am not fond of the idea of pulling the motor all over again to do ring gap on new motor.

If that is a necessity it will push my plans of supercharging years down the road and just do a cam short term.
I think youd be fine.
FWIW a procharger will still make more torque than you can hold on the street. I did 500tq @ 3000rpm's and climbed to 700 by 5000 lol.
Have a hpt log file? Id be curious to see how the procharger builds boost compared to rpm/throttle and compared to my tvs. Granted im sure youre pullied to make more than my current 6psi

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think youd be fine.

Have a hpt log file? Id be curious to see how the procharger builds boost compared to rpm/throttle and compared to my tvs. Granted im sure youre pullied to make more than my current 6psi
All I have but here is boost being plotted at the bottom of a pull. PSI rises with RPM hitting a max of 13.4 psi at the end of the pull.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
814 Posts
Good Information guys.

E85 changes the game. Less heat in the combustion chamber means ring gaps don't close as much. Plenty of people running lots of boost on stock ring gaps on E85 with no issues. We are talking 1000+ hp. E85 with a good tuner goes a long way. I ran my sbe ls1 up to 14 psi without ever opening it and had no issues. Everything looked perfect when I pulled the motor and sold the short block.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts