LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we finally got started today and only did a few things. Started by pulling out all the interior... well not all of it, but most of it. After we removed the interior we decided to start cutting away.

Keep in mind that today was only the first day and technically not specific to the SRA install. We are actually in the process of doing the mini-tubs for the rear. We plan on adding about 3" of wheel well to the car! We were making great progress and then the tip on the plasma cutter started getting real bad and it was taking more and more juice to cut and it was getting jagged. So we opted to call it a day with only a few things cut. No sense in making something harder than it needs to be if you can wait for the next day to straighten out the problem.

First to come off is the shock tower mounts.

Some cutting on the wheel well. This well shouldn't take but another 10-15 minutes to cut out. And yes we are cutting the rear bars off of the roll cage so we can do this. They will be reinstalled when we are all done.

The plasma cutter that makes everything happen in the hands of braap (chris).

This is just something that is being done in my garage at my house. We are not a shop and do not plan on doing this again. braap and ibgoatin have already done one and this will most certainly be the last of the SRA conversions they do. It is a very time consuming project that takes more than alot of patience.

Setup:
Moser 9" 3.55 Gears (probably swapping them out for something like a 3.08 or down there.
BMR Trak Pak
BMR Subframe Connectors
BMR Control Arms
HAL QA1 Dbl. Adj. Shocks/Coilovers

I will be updating this thread as I get more and more pictures and information. So check back daily.

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
sweet!! look forward to future updates.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Any idea on how much the minitubs will buy you in terms of tire size? What's the goal at this point?

Keep it up!

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phobos512 said:
Any idea on how much the minitubs will buy you in terms of tire size? What's the goal at this point?

Keep it up!
I think a 28x10.5 will fit with ease... probably wider to be honest. Which goal are you asking about? completion date? tire size? ET? HP? LOL... not real sure what your asking about.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
i'm sure hes asking if you can fit persay 28x12.5? Do have to do mini tubs with solid axle? my 10.5 tires fit well.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Looking foward to more pics.

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GMH GTO said:
i'm sure hes asking if you can fit persay 28x12.5? Do have to do mini tubs with solid axle? my 10.5 tires fit well.
No it isn't something you have to do. Just something you can chose to do. Are you running a 28x10.5" tire? Honestly I don't even think a 12" tire would be difficult to fit on this setup as long as the wheel has the right backspacing.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
TrakDay said:
No it isn't something you have to do. Just something you can chose to do. Are you running a 28x10.5" tire? Honestly I don't even think a 12" tire would be difficult to fit on this setup as long as the wheel has the right backspacing.
Yes my "goal" question was related to what you were shooting for wrt wheel/tire size.

And so now a new question - what sort of screwy offsets will you need for the huge wheels to work?

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
phobos512 said:
Yes my "goal" question was related to what you were shooting for wrt wheel/tire size.

And so now a new question - what sort of screwy offsets will you need for the huge wheels to work?
Not sure yet... but my C6 Z06 wheels will be a perfect fit on the car now!

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
TrakDay said:
I'm running 26x10.5, 28 x 10.5 would provide more traction.

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE 10/9

We did a little bit of cutting, but before we cut anymore I need to grind off the undercoating and anything else that could possibly catch fire. It just slows the process down when a little flame starts and you have to put it out. Anyways. One of the wheel wells is about 90% out and the other is about 60% out. Hopefully we can get the wheel wells out tomorrow. If we do then I can move ahead with grinding and prepping for the welding of the 3" addition we will be doing. Once the wheel wells are buttoned up we will continue to cut out parts that are no longer needed and only = weight.

The weight goal for the car is drastically dropping. I am hoping to get the car under 3500lbs. It would be much lighter if it didn't have a 10pt cage iron block and twin turbo setup going in it. So my race weight goal is basically just under 3700lbs. Last weight reduction mod is my membership to the gym that I just bought. I intend to shave about 20-25lbs off of myself... get back to around 175-180.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
you running racing seats? Corbeau seats are under 20lbs.

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GMH GTO said:
you running racing seats? Corbeau seats are under 20lbs.
Depending on what I have left in my bank after all of this I may or may not get them. I would really like to keep the stock seats, but they are just too heavy. I may keep them for the summer time when I go to the track less and just want to enjoy and drive the car.

And for those interested I will probably be putting something together about this entire install which may end up as a sticky. We shall see.

·
HARDCORE since 1982
3,345 Posts
TrakDay said:
UPDATE 10/9

The weight goal for the car is drastically dropping. I am hoping to get the car under 3500lbs.
I weighed my car on Sunday and it came in a 3520lbs, so I don't think you'll have any problems with your goal.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
TrakDay said:
And for those interested I will probably be putting something together about this entire install which may end up as a sticky. We shall see.
Tenatively, looks all Mick, Braap and Ibgoatin's pics and comments could be turned into a knowledge base page and linked to this thread. Good luck!

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hardcore said:
I weighed my car on Sunday and it came in a 3520lbs, so I don't think you'll have any problems with your goal.
Tony... what have you removed from your car? I am going to strat weighing some stuff pretty soon to see where I could end up at!

And where are you getting your car weighed at!?

For anyone interested the front seats do infact weigh 63.5lbs each!

·
9 Second Club
2,423 Posts
TrakDay said:
PLEASE!! It is my dream to get a solid rear end conversion. You don't know how badddd I want to drop the hammer off the line at 6000+RPMS! Crazy low 60ft's and possibly bring those front wheels off the ground!

John

·
Quest for 10's Continues!
3,561 Posts
Subscribing to this thread now. Can't wait to see the project completed! Good luck and thanks for this thread Mick!! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 167 Posts