LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can put a “sticky” on this to keep it to the top.

I like reading kill stories. I like some of the infinite detail and the creative story telling that generally accompany such stories. It adds “life” to them. And we all know that GTO’s win and lose. The same can be said for F-Bodies, Vette’s, Mustang’s, etc.

But one thing that annoys me in descriptions of kills is the exaggeration used. I’m not picking on any person’s thread in particular, but some clarification needs to be made. I know most people when they win a race are extremely happy, feel good, alive and proud. But when you beat a car by a car length, maybe 2 or 3, that DOES NOT constitute an “A$$ KICKING”, “HAD ‘fill in car here for’ DINNER”, “WHOOPED”, “SMOKED” or any other form of boasting associated with the story. A car length or two can come down to driver error or any minor thing that could make a difference. I.E., launch, shifting, inadvertently bouncing off the rev-limiter, etc.

NOW, if you pull up against a “victim”, race them, and put a mile on them in the process, such a boasting is worthy and acceptable. If you pull on them like a locomotive pulling a fully loaded freight train and they act like they threw the anchor out, again, such boasting works. If you’re down a couple car lengths, then win by a few, YES! However, in close, single/two car length differences, that can’t be said.

Who else here agrees with me?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
as long as "kills" section stays friendly and nice, i dont really care. i think its one of those of those areas that is pretty touchy b/c it is based mainly on the experiences of ONE person telling the story.
so as long as it stays nice and fun, i dont really care.
but i do see your point CMNT

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
I agree with you, #7 - for the most part, the "Kills" section on DY's forum is the friendliest I've seen (other that some real ugly stuff a couple of months ago that has long since blown over.) I think CMNT's suggestion would help to keep it that way. Cutting back on hyperbole should help reduce the likelihood of people raising the :bs:, which in turn cuts down on the vicious cycle that ends with comments about people's mamas and such... Just my $0.02.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
I agree with you, #7 - for the most part, the "Kills" section on DY's forum is the friendliest I've seen (other that some real ugly stuff a couple of months ago that has long since blown over.) I think CMNT's suggestion would help to keep it that way. Cutting back on hyperbole should help reduce the likelihood of people raising the :bs:, which in turn cuts down on the vicious cycle that ends with comments about people's mamas and such... Just my $0.02.
what you say about my mama???

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
What they said.

Every kill story HAS to begin with the BBD disclaimer.....

"I was just mindin my own bizzznezz when......." then fill in the rest of the blanks with sordid little details

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think that some times A$$ whooping can mean that the other guy was a A$$ and you whooped him. Just a different perspective.
:drink::drink:

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I tend to agree - as I think the kill section here does stay civil and I prefer it that way - but I will say if a stock GTO were to race a modded f-body or even a 'vette for instance, even if the GTO were to win by 1/2 a carlength - given the typical performance advantage the other car should have I think you could call that an a$$ whoopin'. For example, our local mystichrome cobra owner has a tendency to miss 3rd gear in races (think our shifter is bad - check one of them out one of these days). It's so damn fast it'll almost catch up if he gets it there quick enough - but beating him should count as a smoke - at the very least.
I think that everybody needs to remember that anything can and will happen on the street - and driver's and situations play into the races much more so than on a track.
Dan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Do they put a different shift lever in the Cobra? If I understand it right, the Cobra also uses the Tremec T56 transmission.

As far as the kills go, there are a few that get a little carried away in the stories.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
CMNTMXR57
That gets my vote!+

No :bs: stories please.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
flyinlow said:
Do they put a different shift lever in the Cobra? If I understand it right, the Cobra also uses the Tremec T56 transmission.
Yes - and it's in an aweful position to boot (pun intended ;)). The lever is like right by the radio. In addition it seems to have a shorter throw w/ a longer lever. I've never sat in a car - including a couple of RHD's - that it was less intuitive to find each gear.
Dan

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a former 03 Cobra owner I can attest to the poor shifter location. During several runs down the strip, going hard into third gear I hit the on/off volume knob. Since I usually play music at an exuberant volume level, had my helmet on and was intent on racing, the sudden onset of additional sensory input made me think I had blown something out of the car. Naturally I would let off the throttle to determine what the heck happened and Duh! I turned the stereo on. My friends would ask me why I suddenly slowed up, when I explained they would laugh themselves to tears.
What are friends for?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a very civil board compared to a few others. Anything can happen on the street. If you win, it's ok to post, if you lose, it's still ok to post. But lets keep them realistic if you follow me. That was the whole point of this thread.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
"What are you smiling about?"
"Dude, I almost had you."
"You! almost had ME? You never had me. You never had your car. Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning!"

From the Fast and the Furious, the book of Vin, vs 23-30.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
phobos512 said:
"What are you smiling about?"
"Dude, I almost had you."
"You! almost had ME? You never had me. You never had your car. Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning!"

From the Fast and the Furious, the book of Vin, vs 23-30.
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Back on topic, I agree with CMNT 100%. But then you'll run into the arguments of someone being like "I put my Goat on the Honda Civic diet, nothin like a little fried rice to liven up the goat feed" or something along those lines. Sure, they'll have actually beaten the little Civic by a few nautical miles, but then someone might interject that they should've been able to beat the Civic that easily, so why brag about beating an economy car?

I dunno, this is ya'lls board, so you GTO boys can sort it out. I'll be at ClubWRX :cool: ;)

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Hmmm. Flowery, descriptive, but not overdone. BBD give lessons? :hail:
I propose BBD for Official (but unpaid...Sorry BBD) Site Scribe!

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Big Blue Daddy said:
:hail: OldGoat, you honor me, Sir! Thank you. .... BBD :cool:
Honestly BBD... you honor us by owning the same car as us and sharing your stories in a style that will be the legend of this board.

Drive on! ;)

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Did I start this?
LOL
The only reason I put " Had goat for dinner" is because I have read several other posts where people have put "Had @#$% for dinner" or the Goat ate some "blank" tonight. I would also say it was a justified whooping considering the cars are almost in the rival category.
This is a civil forum and that is why I post here...
My .02

1 - 20 of 27 Posts