LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried/seen a smaller wheel with a larger sidewall tire? I like low profile wheels and all, but there is something about those old meaty looking muscle car wheels/tires that I like. Curious what something thicker might look like on our new GTO.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Why not a 17" or 18" wheel with a bigger tire? The problem then is the ECU freaks out since the front and rears have a different profile and rotations per mile would be significantly different throwing off the ABS and Traction Control among other things. Though I do believe you can have the ECU reprogrammed to work with this sort of setup.

This is what i'm talking about:

Note: This is 18's on the front and 19's on the rear. I dont know the tire profiles. I just found it on a wheel makers website and saved it for just such a use.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Some of the drag racers are seeking smaller rims to get taller sidewalls with more "cushion" There are a couple of threads. I don't believe off-the-shelf stuff smaller than 17" has been jumping out at anybody. There's always expensive customs. Apparently the BMW's use the same bolt pattern, but you've got to watch offset and backspacing. I'm not sure how small you could go without brake clearance becoming an issue.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I agree, I wouldnt really go any smaller than 17" anyhow. If you want them for drag racing, it would be easier to use a higher profile tire instead which would increase gearing slightly and improve traction off the line.

Though I must admit, the "big" wheels with a higher profile tire on the rear does look pretty cool, but I bet that rubs very bad and rides even worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts