LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I stomp on the gas and the car shifts gears (its an A4) 1-2 it sounds like the belts are squealing. Its only when Its a hard acceleration and when it shifts gears.


Anyone else have this problem?

Could the Predator be causing this problem?
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Sure it's not your tires giving a little? With TM removed, you're under full power during shifts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like its coming from the front of the car. You can tell when the tire chirp. This is different.

When the engine is cold and I start to hit the gas, when the trans shifts gears the tires chirp and the car goes sideways a little.

When the engine is warm, like after a drive, and I hit the gas, thats when you hear the squealing noise.

It sounds like an old V-belt squealing for a brief second.
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
That would be a possible bad idler pulley. These serpentine belts don't rely on pressure to the sides of the belt in order to have tension. Instead a spring loaded idler pulley takes the slack out and keeps the tension.
 

·
HOTROD HANDYMAN
Joined
·
434 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
When I stomp on the gas and the car shifts gears (its an A4) 1-2 it sounds like the belts are squealing. Its only when Its a hard acceleration and when it shifts gears.


Anyone else have this problem?

Could the Predator be causing this problem?
I noticed the same thing on my A4 when I first got it but it is gone now. I looked at all the pulleys and belt and the only thing I found was a dark grey color residue on the front of the right head behind the idler pulley. I washed it off along with the entire front of the engine and all the pulleys while it was running. I have not heard it since. It was definately coming from the engine compartment and not the rear of the car. Also I'm not running the Predator, YET! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
My car too makes the squealing sound, A4 on the 1-2 shift. It does sound like belts, but I was thinking it must have been coming from the tires. I couldn't track it to the front of the car. I have about 2K on it now and it has done it since new. I guess I'll try washing the front of the motor off and clean the pulleys to see if it goes away.
 

·
Go Tigers!
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
It's your tranny

speed_demon_freak said:
When I stomp on the gas and the car shifts gears (its an A4) 1-2 it sounds like the belts are squealing. Its only when Its a hard acceleration and when it shifts gears.


Anyone else have this problem?

Could the Predator be causing this problem?
Had this on my 97Z. Same tranny as the goat. When I put a BM shift
electronic kit on, it firmed up my shifts and I heard that on hard shifts.
If it only happens on hard shifts, it is your tranny. I never had any problems
ever with the tranny. If this happens any other time other than hard shifts,
then I am not sure what it is, but your desrciption is exactly how my 97Z
responded to a firmer shift program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
I never really could tell exactly where it was coming from but it does seem to be coming more from the center of the car. Mine is still all stock and it only makes the noise on full throttle 1-2 shifts. My Predator is still on back order. Is that going to make it worse?
 

·
Go Tigers!
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
You will notice it more, but

T.Vick said:
I never really could tell exactly where it was coming from but it does seem to be coming more from the center of the car. Mine is still all stock and it only makes the noise on full throttle 1-2 shifts. My Predator is still on back order. Is that going to make it worse?
It doesn't mean somethings wrong. In fact, I heard it on my 02 Eldorado
when I had it before the goat. This again was at wide open throttle only.
I believe it has something to do with the tranny fluid pressure. Back when
I had my 97Z on the fbody forum this was a subject of some length, and
I don't ever remember anyone having serious problems because of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
My A4 with started doing this after the Predator Tune as well, on hard shifts.
First I thought it was the tires (which do screech hard going into 2nd now), then realized a squeal was coming from the middle of the car.... probably tranny belts. How much I should worry?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,016 Posts
After experiencing the same problem, I used our dealerships multi-positioning-listening-device (Steelmans ChassisEar) and went for a drive. Basically, the tool is a set of microphones that are all wired into a single box, a position switch to select which mic to listen to, and headphones. It's the belt. I think that on firm shifts, the engine changes rpm so quickly that the inertia of the belt's rotation makes it squeal for just a second before it matches engine speed. At least it doesn't toss 'em like my old '64 use to when it shifted hard!!!!
 

·
Retired LEO meow
Joined
·
14,535 Posts
I have not had this problem before and after the Predator install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
After Predator install it now squeals much worse going from 1 to 2, even at part throttle now and is also doing it going into 3. It's pretty annoying. I think I'll try to clean the belts as mentioned earlier. It couldn't hurt.
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Nor mine

TprGTO said:
I have not had this problem before and after the Predator install.
Me neither, course I am pressure washing the engine compartment too at least once a month (low pressure) It still looks as good in there as on the outside. :)
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
The only sound my car makes on stomping the throttle is the tires...How do I know? The sound changes based on the road surface, and because it takes it a little while to catch up to my head...Speed of sound baby!! :eek2:
 

·
...and former GTO owner.
Joined
·
841 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
T.Vick said:
After Predator install it now squeals much worse going from 1 to 2, even at part throttle now and is also doing it going into 3. It's pretty annoying. I think I'll try to clean the belts as mentioned earlier. It couldn't hurt.
I agree. I re-installed the factory programming today before I took my GTO into the dealer to have the exhaust noise fixed and have them fix the belt noise. Unfortunately, the belt didn't slip under the factory programming. As soon as I got the car home I reinstalled the Performance Tune and the Belt is now slipping again. Can someone be more specific on how the stopped the problem? How did you spray all the pulleys without getting water into the Alternator? Also, did you use soap on the engine also or just rinse. I hate to spray that much water into the engine bay under pressure. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
shafman1 said:
I agree. I re-installed the factory programming today before I took my GTO into the dealer to have the exhaust noise fixed and have them fix the belt noise. Unfortunately, the belt didn't slip under the factory programming. As soon as I got the car home I reinstalled the Performance Tune and the Belt is now slipping again. Can someone be more specific on how the stopped the problem? How did you spray all the pulleys without getting water into the Alternator? Also, did you use soap on the engine also or just rinse. I hate to spray that much water into the engine bay under pressure. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :confused:
Since I haven't heard from anyone else, I'm going to try to back off the shift pressure on the predator performance tune a little until the belt doesn't slip on hard shifts.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top