LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody do it? I've got an Anova Precision coming today, and a couple of vacuum sealed porterhouses to try it out on.

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
I've never done it, but I'm interested to see the results!

We're going to need a very Peeps-esque (gold standard for activating the salivary glands ;)) picture intensive write-up of some sous vide cooks.

·
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll post some up later tonight. These steaks are a little thinner than what I would want for Sous Vide (I planned to grill them only), but should still be a good test. I'll have to get some nice thick ones and give that a whirl.

293 Posts
Thinking about it, but awaiting some more real-world experience before I spring for one. A friend backed one on Kickstarter about a year ago and is still waiting on it!

Doing steaks sous vide for some reason doesn't appeal to the purist in me (hot cast iron pan or grill preferred), but that's more ideology than an actual reason.

These looks really, really, REALLY good though and would be some of the first recipes I'd try:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/06/the-best-classic-chicken-salad-recipe.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-deep-fried-sous-vide-36-hour-all-belly-porchetta.html

Duck confit and carnitas would be two other things that should work well sous vide.

Do you have a vacuum sealer too, or are you using ziplocs?

·
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have a vacuum sealer. I'm tempted because I look a good Medium steak. But, it's hard to do medium 'right'. A nice rare steak, easy. A well done steak, easy. I find Medium tough to do on the grill without the outside being overdone,or the middle being a little 'too' pink.

That porchetta thing looks fucking awesome.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,830 Posts
I already have a vacuum sealer. I'm tempted because I look a good Medium steak. But, it's hard to do medium 'right'. A nice rare steak, easy. A well done steak, easy. I find Medium tough to do on the grill without the outside being overdone,or the middle being a little 'too' pink.

That porchetta thing looks smurfing awesome.
I've thought about doing it (with just pot and water and thermometer) for fish and marinated chicken/pork - with veg

so I'm curious how your's comes out. The fish recipes look awesome.

·
Pepper's Pilot
8,703 Posts
I have thought about getting one for me but playing with water, vacuum bags, a heating element, and a temperature controller is way less exciting than playing with fire and steel, IMO.

I have thought about getting one for the wife to cook with instead of the crock pot.

We're going to need a very Peeps-esque (gold standard for activating the salivary glands ;)) picture intensive write-up of some sous vide cooks.
I have been slacking these days...I'll get a nice, good cook posted up sometime ;)

·
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have thought about getting one for me but playing with water, vacuum bags, a heating element, and a temperature controller is way less exciting than playing with fire and steel, IMO.

I have thought about getting one for the wife to cook with instead of the crock pot.

I have been slacking these days...I'll get a nice, good cook posted up sometime ;)
I still plan to grill plenty, but like you said, i think that this is just different version of a crock pot. I work from home, so sometimes crockpot meals get old before I even eat them (smelling it all day, eventually gets gross).

This way I can prep some meat, and go back to my office, or go out for a run, etc, then come back and crack open a beer and finish on the grill while the wife cooks up a side dish. Easy prep, easy finish, good meal (hopefully).

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts

That porchetta thing looks smurfing awesome.
Get yourself a good meat thermometer. ThermoWorks has their Thermopop on open box sale right now. I use one and so does Peeps, I believe. For $19 + shipping, it can hardly be beat. It provides little more than a progress report for most meat during long cooks in the smoker, but for things like steak, where the window to perfection is so small, I love it. After playing with different temperatures and methods (sear vs. reverse-sear), I don't think I'd have a problem nailing any level of doneness (?) with a good crust.

·
Pepper's Pilot
8,703 Posts
Get yourself a good meat thermometer. ThermoWorks has their Thermopop on open box sale right now. I use one and so does Peeps, I believe. For $19 + shipping, it can hardly be beat. It provides little more than a progress report for most meat during long cooks in the smoker, but for things like steak, where the window to perfection is so small, I love it. After playing with different temperatures and methods (sear vs. reverse-sear), I don't think I'd have a problem nailing any level of doneness (?) with a good crust.
I have 2 Thermopops! An orange one for me and a purple one for my wife...highly recommended over other slightly cheaper brands. Unless you want to spend $100 on a Thermapen!

·
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
been wanting to try this.

maybe use a blowtorch to sear. bcos science!
If I end up liking this process, this is more highly recommended than a blowtorch.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless/dp/B00L2P0KNO[/ame]

More expensive, too, but doesn't leave any 'fuel' flavor on the meat that a blowtorch might. Looks like a handy device for a bunch of things, really.

·
Beer Geek
3,738 Posts
Looked as sous vide back in the day, 2006 or so, couldn't justify it personally.

There is a lot lot lot of prep work in setting up the little bag before it gets vacuum sealed. I can see ti working in a commercial setting. You get an order for tripe foie gras or whatever you pull a bag out of the deep freeze, toss it in the sous vide and get started on whatever appetizer they ordered.

Now that I have a meat thermometer and a big enough grill to reverse sear (thanks peeps and bvbull) I can't imagine doing steak any other way. The hardest part was figuring otu at what temp to stop the reverse sear and chunk the meat straight ontot he coals for the finish sear.

NB: If you get a chance to reverse sear some ribeyes with white oak - DO IT. wow. I like hickory and pecan just fine, white oak was right in the middle or therabouts on intensity but the flavor was real real nice.

Enjoy your new thingy. If you got the scratch to be bringing home wee sealed bags packed up by pro chefs on the other side of the freezer it is probably way ahead of microwave boxed foods.

·
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPS man finally showed up.

Seems like a pretty nice piece of hardware. The App that comes with it works great, though I think I would have rather seen a WiFi integration rather than Bluetooth.

Took just about 26 minutes to come up to temperature with water right from the faucet. Could have used hot water to speed that up, but was just testing. App sends you a notification when its preheated.

Will post updates later :)

·
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Came out really, really nice. I didn't get the sear that I wanted on it (gas grill), and I was afraid to leave it on too long for fear of starting to overcook. A chimney starter to sear it would have been perfect (or maybe that device I posted earlier).

Cooked consistently all the way through. I've never seen my wife eat a steak that fast (well, one of these kinds :)).

Out of the bags:

Off the grill:

On my plate:

Sorry, no pictures of the full presentation, I ate the shit out of it. Steaks, baked tater, fresh baked rolls.

Good proof of concept for me. Excited to try more stuff.

·
Beer Geek
3,738 Posts
The vegetables might be really good. Keeping the net water movement to zero and trapping all the vitamins in the wee bag with the vegetables is an excellent idea.

I didn't mean to make it sound like a useless tool above, just oen I don't have room for in my kitchen.

Look forward to seeing more results.

293 Posts
If I end up liking this process, this is more highly recommended than a blowtorch.

http://www.amazon.com/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless/dp/B00L2P0KNO

More expensive, too, but doesn't leave any 'fuel' flavor on the meat that a blowtorch might. Looks like a handy device for a bunch of things, really.
I think for meat you really do have to have something like that if you intend to use a torch (rather than a grill or a hot pan).

I have one of these:

No need to worry about fuel taste, it has absolutely zero flavor/odor in my experience, but it's pretty much useless for meat. Too focused of a flame leads to odd burned spots, and only a "surface" char rather than the deeper, crunchy/crispy crust. Tried it on steaks, chicken, and fish, none of them played nicely with the torch.

It does a great job on creme brulee, which I make approximately once every seven years (despite it being the wife's favorite). I end up using the torch more for little projects around the house than I do cooking.

·
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I was watching a few videos of the Searzall last night, and I'm pretty much sold on it. Plus I get to buy a regular torch first, which is always good :)

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
I don't love the look of the outside of the steak, but it sounds like you recognize this and plan to improve that part of the cook anyways. Besides, it is just a first run.

Tough to argue with the inside of that cut piece, though. Especially on a thinner steak, like that. Very easy to overcook those.

Chimney starters are awesome for searing. I'll even fully grill a steak on mine if the wife is away and I'm doing the bachelor thing.

That torch device does look nice, though, from a convenience standpoint.

·
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, the searing didn't quite do it for me, a thicker cut and I'd have been okay with leaving it on the grill longer. With this thin one, I'd have had better luck on a very hot pan with some butter - still tasted awesome.

Going to try some chicken breast on it tonight.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts