1,504 Posts
Wow, that's different. I wonder how you set the gap on THAT thing. :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FLORIT said:
Wow, that's different. I wonder how you set the gap on THAT thing. :D
Don't know if conventianal spark plug rules apply here... Looks good coz you get 100% spark exposure over a long distance, no need to index:)

Here's their official writeup:

Spark plugs PREMIUM "LGS"

The round spark gap with extremely long surface spark discharge uses the possibility of spark-over along the whole perimeter of 360o. The spark always flashes in the place with the highest fuel concentration; the spark gap in the Brisk Premium "LGS" spark-plugs protrudes deep into the combustion chamber. The significantly higher combustion velocity in the initial spread of the flame in the combustion chamber allows excellent utilization of fuel energy, which provides higher engine power."

PREMIUM ZC/ZS spark plugs:

"Multispark-plugs increase engine power.
Two auxiliary electrodes attached to the top of the isolator use special patented technology allowing simultaneous spark-over on two surfaces and one airborne spark for each ignition system pulse. Each spark can flash along the whole perimeter of the auxiliary electrode (360o). The spark gap is deep inside the combustion chamber and improves the initial spread of flame front. The number of sparks and sufficient distance between them decreases the likelihood of an imperfect mixture ignition in the combustion chamber and increases combustion velocity and engine power."

PREMIUM TXS spark plugs

"Multispark-plugs increase engine power.
An auxiliary electrode attached to the top of the isolator use special patented technology and three short electrodes on the casing allow simultaneous spark-over of one surface and one airborne spark for each ignition system pulse. The surface spark can flash along the whole perimeter of the auxiliary electrode (360o), The airborne spark can flash to one of the three external electrodes. The spark gap is deep inside the combustion chamber and improves the initial spread of flame front. The doubling of sparks decreases the likelihood of an imperfect mixture ignition and increases engine power."

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Bump. C'mon, somebody who hasn't already switched plugs is dying to try these things out, right?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
phobos512 said:
I dunno, $10/plug+ seems kinda pricey to me...
aww its only money

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
No they're not cheap, but it's not everyone who can brag that their plugs are crafted in the Czech Republic. Actually, a lot of your contemporary "plutonium wonder plugs" made by elves in the forest are $10-14 a pop. What I find intriguing about these is that they're "auto indexing" which might explain why the blown Ford guys like them. Indexing starts to become an issue as cylinder pressures climb.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
mistermike said:
No they're not cheap, but it's not everyone who can brag that their plugs are crafted in the Czech Republic. Actually, a lot of your contemporary "plutonium wonder plugs" made by elves in the forest are $10-14 a pop. What I find intriguing about these is that they're "auto indexing" which might explain why the blown Ford guys like them. Indexing starts to become an issue as cylinder pressures climb.
Plutonium wonder plugs made by elves in the forest... :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

That's awesome :)

Is auto indexing the ability of these things to spark where the highest A/F mix is like they talk about on the website?

I'm used to buying ye olde Bosch +4s that cost half or less what these things do (though I haven't bought those as I hear we want iridium or better plugs in the goat?).

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Yes, that's the take on auto-indexing. The guys running extreme drag engines will spend a lot of time pointing the gap of a conventional plug where it does the most good. I've done it on a few cars with mixed results, and it's a pain in the butt. Dr. Christopher Jacobs, a bona fide ignition guru, states "It may not always help, but it never hurts." I've tried the Boschs a couple of times. On one engine, it was a big plus, and on a different engine, it degraded performance noticeably. I suspect that the proclivity of the spark in the Brisk plug to favor an area of higher fuel concentration would be highly dependent on the electrodes being absolutely concentric. Their other claim that a spark drawn across a surface is easier to instigate than a spark across a pure gap is interesting. Our GTOs are supplied with Delco iridium plugs made by NGK. Plain old copper NGK TR55's idle smoother for me. Might be a different situation with forced induction. The big iridium fans seem to like the Denso's better.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
mistermike said:
Yes, that's the take on auto-indexing. The guys running extreme drag engines will spend a lot of time pointing the gap of a conventional plug where it does the most good. I've done it on a few cars with mixed results, and it's a pain in the butt. Dr. Christopher Jacobs, a bona fide ignition guru, states "It may not always help, but it never hurts." I've tried the Boschs a couple of times. On one engine, it was a big plus, and on a different engine, it degraded performance noticeably. I suspect that the proclivity of the spark in the Brisk plug to favor an area of higher fuel concentration would be highly dependent on the electrodes being absolutely concentric. Their other claim that a spark drawn across a surface is easier to instigate than a spark across a pure gap is interesting. Our GTOs are supplied with Delco iridium plugs made by NGK. Plain old copper NGK TR55's idle smoother for me. Might be a different situation with forced induction. The big iridium fans seem to like the Denso's better.
Not only would the plugs need to be absolutely concentric, the material concentration would need to be absolutely uniform - all that chaos theory crap.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
phobos512 said:
Not only would the plugs need to be absolutely concentric, the material concentration would need to be absolutely uniform - all that chaos theory crap.
Makes sense to me. Even Doc Jacobs, who is a PhD EE, and a lifelong drag racer states that there are several competing theories on why a spark even causes the fuel to ignite in the first place. Even an explaination of how an electrical discharge "knows" the path of least resistance conjures up some scary theories. Tachyons anyone? :eek2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts