LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is really unfortunate...

I'm parked on a very slight incline this morning, and open my door - only to have it come back on my leg while I'm getting out.

My knee catches the brunt of it, though it trapped my shin as well. Nice bruises from that. However - I heal, the car does not.

The door panel flexed, then I heard a "pop" sound. I looked down, and sure enough, the speaker grille had shattered. I was already late for work at this point, so I didn't bother grousing over it. I'm really not sure how the hell that popped out (it's cracked outwardly) simply because of a flex in the door material... Makes me wonder about structural integrity... :eek2:

Anybody know the replacement part number for this? I'm literally going to soil myself if the door assembly is one unit (suede, leather, trim, etc.). Has this happened to anyone else? I assume this wouldn't be covered by the warranty...

By the way - the grilles are plastic and VERY cheaply made, from the look of it. Thankfully they don't have any stupid emblem on the, (Bose) that would cost me an extra $50 for royalties (found that out in the Escalade).

·
Is that FWD?
1,111 Posts
My speaker grill was cracked upon delivery, they couldn't figure out how to replace just the grill, so the replaced the whole door panel from a car on the showroom floor.

That will suck if you have to order the whole door panel.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gto57 said:
My speaker grill was cracked upon delivery, they couldn't figure out how to replace just the grill, so the replaced the whole door panel from a car on the showroom floor.

That will suck if you have to order the whole door panel.
:barf: :banghead:

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at the instructions for takedown of the door (to install speakers), and just noticed that "remove speaker grille" was one of the steps.

That just gave me a little more hope... :hail:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Did you ever get the part number for the grille? I broke mine last week . Anyone have the part number for the drivers side door speaker grille?

·
ZL1.....Ready Now!!
352 Posts
My passenger speaker was cracked with a piece about 2" missing from the bottom. Dealership ordered the part and then replaced it under warranty.....

·
Mid-Atlantic Moderator
2,048 Posts
Has anybody got a number on this yet? I wanna do a custom install with mine (more on that later) but I want to be sure I can replace it if I ever decide to sell the car (not likely).

·
HGH Exile
480 Posts
When I replaced the door speakers, I noticed clips on the other side of the speaker grill. They are only one way clips, so they will have to be replaced. it looks like once off, the new speaker grill will just push into position with the new clips. If you disassemble the bottom of the door panel, you can look up in there and see what I mean. Hope this make sense, and it helps. Good luck.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Read my writeup on how to replace the door speakers. Their are pictures of the rear side of the door pannel showing the detail of the back side of the grill itself. The real 'problem' is the fact the material has little support from the rear and is somewhat thin. But I dont see how it would crack since the door pannel doesnt flex much at all when i've opened it.

·
Former 2004 owner
498 Posts
I've got the same problem. Given the pathetic quality of this piece, if I replace it, it won't be long before I need another one, so I'll have to buy a dozen:banghead:. It seems like a good opportunity for a beefier aftermarket replacement.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did anybody ever get a part# for this? My wife used her foot to open the door and managed to crack the pi** out of the speaker grille.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can change it yourself it's very easy

I cracked my drivers side.
I just replaced it last weekend. It's not a big deal. The door panels
come off pretty easily. Its all screws, no clips. The only clip you have to pop off is on the door lock. you need a little pick to pop it off. I think you can change it without totaly removing the panel, but for me it was easier just to take it off. The dealership wanted $85 to do the install. It took me about 10 minutes.

·
My GTO became a Challenger !!
373 Posts
Does anyone have these part numbers ?? Just broke my drivers side speaker grill today, guess it will be a good time to do speaker upgrades !!!!

Edit: Just found the part number for the drivers side, it's 92094890, ordered it from Fred Beans, one of the sponsors on the left for $28.00, had excellent customer service with them on the Helms order.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts