LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about deleting speakers for weight reduction but I remember reading somewhere about Some kind of a problem with just disconnecting speaker wires.
Can鈥檛 find that post now 馃槓
Anyone knows about this issue and the way around it?
Any idea on weight savings for deleting all speakers?

Seriously?
I don't know of any issues that would arise if you disconnected the speakers. All of mine are not hooked up at the moment because I am getting ready to redo my system soon.

For weight reduction, for the effort required to remove all of the interior pieces necessary to get to the speakers, there are other things you can do that would be more beneficial. I guess it all comes down to what you are willing to sacrifice in comfort and safety to get to lower vehicle weight.

Administrator
Unless you're using the car for serious competition where every ounce matters I wouldn't bother, this would be a couple of pounds on a 3700 lb. car- maybe a couple more if you also delete the head unit which would be useless anyway without speakers.
But as to the original question, other than possible damage to the head unit from running it with no speakers connected I don't see any other issues.
Edit- I think everyone will be telling you basically the same thing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect! I don鈥檛 know where I was reading that. Maybe it was something else, not speakers 馃

Worthless reject member
The rear speakers and brackets that are riveted into the are a total of 8 lbs, iirc. The whole system is 25 lbs, maybe? And that's every last thing, including tweeters, amp, all the speakers, goofy plastic mounting brackets, etc. Depends on what you think is worth it.

The best route if you are trying to include this in a weight reduction plan that still retains a modicum of amenities is deleting the rear speakers, though, if you are not an audiophile. If you drill through the rivets carefully, it can totally be a reversible mod.

the amp for the rear deck subwoofers is fed signal through the rear speaker channels, though. i am not sure if disconnecting them would affect rear sub woofer functionality. iirc, they do not, since i seem to remember they are in parellel, but my memory often fails me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
25 lbs is a chunk. I鈥檒l get rear seat belts out at the same time, so 30 lbs total. Stuff I don鈥檛 use, so no loss at all. And it鈥檚 free.
I lost positions this year by 2-3 hundreds of a second several times. This is how competitive it was in top four in overall standings.
0.5 seconds gain per lap would get me about even with overall wining pace. So every little thing counts.
Based on my experience so far, 50 lbs weight reduction is worth about 1 tenth of a second on autocross course. Weight up high may be worth more.

Administrator
I suppose a good diet to get rid of the "Covid 15" or whatever would accomplish the same thing and you'd still have tunes.
But at least in this case the motivation is legit, the car is actually used in competition where it matters. So often you see people doing this for the street and IMO that's nuts especially where it will compromise function, comfort or safety (i.e. lightweight battery with a big V8, spare tire delete etc).

Worthless reject member
I suppose a good diet to get rid of the "Covid 15" or whatever would accomplish the same thing and you'd still have tunes.
But at least in this case the motivation is legit, the car is actually used in competition where it matters. So often you see people doing this for the street and IMO that's nuts especially where it will compromise function, comfort or safety (i.e. lightweight battery with a big V8, spare tire delete etc).
i actually have come to agree in recent years, although i don't really carry the spare tire kit in most of my vehicles. heck, many new vehicles don't even come with one anymore.

Registered
be quiet and go add some more boost.
I see what you did there. You want me to add even more boost, break something and then I get to do another build thread! lol.

btw, apologies for being a troll....i just thought this thread was funny.......

you want to get rid of speakers, unplug them. remove. You wont hurt anything. You can remove the radio without hurting anything.

My advice if you still want a little music, buy a $60 china double din that is basically a screen, weighs nothing and put two honda civic 6.5" speakers in the front. they weigh mere oz's because they have a tiny neo magnet....and they are super cheap. $17.17 list price each and the part number is 39120-TA0-A01. you may add back 1 maybe 2 lbs....if that.

Registered
i actually have come to agree in recent years, although i don't really carry the spare tire kit in most of my vehicles. heck, many new vehicles don't even come with one anymore.
I have an acura air pump with tire sealant mounted where my spare was.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts