·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
CDecker said:
Anyone out there purchase / install this kit on their GTO? I'm thinking about it, however it would be really helpful to hear some reviews, and see some pictures before purchasing... Its made by speedbuilt, but they claim its designed and manufactured by Borla, so if thats true it cant be that bad of a system at all..

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GT5003&Product_Count=0&Category_Code=GTEXH

Anyone?
I've never seen anything written about that system on this board before. I am also curious about it - and I wonder if there are more pictures of the system than just the one from the rear of the vehicle? I'm curious also what the pipe diameters are.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phobos512 said:
I've never seen anything written about that system on this board before. I am also curious about it - and I wonder if there are more pictures of the system than just the one from the rear of the vehicle? I'm curious also what the pipe diameters are.

Same here.. There isnt much information provided by speedbuilt, pfyc OR borla. IMO they need to do a little bit better job in their marketing dpaertment if they expect anyone to pay $700 for it.. Even specs would be nice.. :rolleyes:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I just sent off an email to PFYC advising them of this thread so if we are lucky they'll come over and answer our questions. I'd really really like to know more about this system.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It's probably fairly new and isn't even completed for sale yet. they just put it out there to gauge interest. Once things get completed and the system is readied for sale, more info will be provided.

Otherwise, to me it looks like they give you a template and you take the saw to your bumper. :wow:

I'll wait for a replacement bumper cover thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
CMNTMXR57 said:
It's probably fairly new and isn't even completed for sale yet. they just put it out there to gauge interest. Once things get completed and the system is readied for sale, more info will be provided.

Otherwise, to me it looks like they give you a template and you take the saw to your bumper. :wow:

I'm not afraid of cutting the bumper for this kit, I'd have a local body shop do it anyways, however I would really hate to cut it just to find that I dont like the sound, performance, etc.. of it and want to go back to an SLP, but cant due to the bumper...

I'd be interested in how low it hangs to the ground too..

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:

That exhaust has been in the upper right corner of their site since I got my membership on this forum in June. So they must have been trying to gauge LOTS of interest.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I’ll be happy to answer your questions.

Speedbuilt is the brand name for our house products. Many we have manufactured ourselves and some we have done on a private label agreement with other companies. In the case of the Speedbuilt Banshee Dual Exit Cat-back Exhaust System, we told Borla what we wanted and they designed and now manufacture the system for us completely (they did this design work using our GTO at the same time they designed their own system). They are shipped to our warehouse already boxed and go to the customer exactly the same way they leave Borla. You can not purchase this system from Borla, that is why there is not info about it on their site. They are in stock now at our Kansas warehouse.

The system is 2.5” from the cat-back and has been routed in such a fashion to eliminate the need for the flat spot or crimps the stock exhaust has. Borla claimed a 10hp gain when they built the first system. The car had under 1000 miles on it. When Magnuson was using the car for their blower kit development, they showed a 15hp gain over the stock exhaust with the blower kit installed.

It is totally bolt-on, it includes a hangar that bolts to the underside of the passenger side of the car using an exiting nut and bolt. There is no welding required. Under the car you’ll notice two black plastic covers. The one on the passenger side of the car needs removed to make way for the exhaust. It pops out very easily.

My big mistake wasn’t getting good pics from under the car while the first production unit was being installed. My rep from Borla and I were too busy checking out another cool project they had in their R&D area and when I came back to our car, it was done. I just posted the best shot of the underside I have on the product page in the Additional Photos section.

Yes you must cut your bumper cover but we are working on a solution that includes a rear fascia piece to give it an OEM appearance. I will say that I was surprised at how cleanly the cut came out without any type of other body work. It is not noticeable from over 10 feet behind the car. Some will want to wait for the new rear fascia piece, some will want to keep the single side exhaust and some will opt for this solution, it is all about choice. To my surprise, a high percentage of these exhausts are being purchased by dealers.

As for sound, that was my biggest concern. The stock exhaust sounds so good, I knew it would be tough to even make it sound as good. Borla did a great job, as much as I like the stock exhaust, this system sounds even better. It has just a slightly deeper tone at idle, sounds about the same as stock on the highway but really wakes up when you punch it.

I’d take better pics but the car is at the paint shop in SoCal disassembled and laying all over the floor right now. When it comes out of paint, I’ll swing down to the Fuddruckers meet in Orange County and let some of you there hear and see it.

Until then if you have any questions, I’ll keep my eye on this thread the next few days or you’re welcome to email or PM me.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
phobos512 said:
Thanks for the information Mike, I know I appreciate it :)

Same Here! Now the question is wether to go with it or wait...
I'm pretty confident the body shop could make a nice cut and mold the outlet to match the Drivers side... I'll have to ask them...

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
Mike,

when are you going to visit Fudds in OC? i'd like to be there...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GTO4Ever said:
Mike,

Could someone take a camera and get some good pics / sound clips? I want to hear it at idle and with some hard revs, like 6k...

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
CDecker said:
Could someone take a camera and get some good pics / sound clips? I want to hear it at idle and with some hard revs, like 6k...
i'll have a digicam there.... i'll get some stills and a short video...

·
Registered
540 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
Thanks for the information Mike, I know I appreciate it
You're very welcome. Thanks for emailing me the link to the thread.
GTOdriver7 said:
what color is it gonna be?
I assume you mean the fascia piece. It will be a black plastic urethane piece that needs to be painted. We are trying to style it in such a way that we could sell them already painted black and they would look good on any color of car if someone didn't want to have to paint it.
GTOdriver7 said:
My best guess at this time would be either the week of October 11th or 18th since the car won't even go into the paint booth until the middle of next week. I'll post a thread as soon as I know more.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Since this is an in-house product maybe you can record some sound clips of the Banshee Exhaust compared to the Stock OEM. I know when i was looking at muffler mods for my Mustang, the companies that provided sound clips of their products got the most looks. It would help you guys sell it and us get a better idea if we really would want it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Razinhell said:
Since this is an in-house product maybe you can record some sound clips of the Banshee Exhaust compared to the Stock OEM. I know when i was looking at muffler mods for my Mustang, the companies that provided sound clips of their products got the most looks. It would help you guys sell it and us get a better idea if we really would want it.
You know, we've always steered away from posting audio clips of exhaust systems because of the difference in sound systems different computers have. I have a pretty decent sound system on my own computer and I've never heard an exhaust recording that sounded like the actual exhaust and we didn't want to hear complaints from people that might email and say the exhaust sounds different on their car than it does in the clip we posted. However, I like your idea of posting a clip of the stock exhaust to compare it to and we'll discuss possibly doing that in the near future. In the case of this exhaust we're talking about, we can probably do it at Fuddruckers in October when our car is put back together. We'll have to compare it to someone else's stock exhaust because our stock system is still over at Magnuson (and I have no desire to put it back on :) ).

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Registered
492 Posts
PFYC said:
You know, we've always steered away from posting audio clips of exhaust systems because of the difference in sound systems different computers have. I have a pretty decent sound system on my own computer and I've never heard an exhaust recording that sounded like the actual exhaust and we didn't want to hear complaints from people that might email and say the exhaust sounds different on their car than it does in the clip we posted. However, I like your idea of posting a clip of the stock exhaust to compare it to and we'll discuss possibly doing that in the near future. In the case of this exhaust we're talking about, we can probably do it at Fuddruckers in October when our car is put back together. We'll have to compare it to someone else's stock exhaust because our stock system is still over at Magnuson (and I have no desire to put it back on :) ).

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC
Mike, Call me the next time you are headed to SoCal and I will come down with the digital camcorder!

-Craig

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
PFYC said:

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC
I agree entirely on the sound clip thing. It would be a phenominal task for even a high-end audio system to reproduce an automobile exhaust accurately. What passes a "good" computer sound is stone age compared to even a mediocre audio system. The low frequency components (rumble) of an exhaust is often its distinguishing flavor, and to even attempt to recreate it with some little bandpass woofer in a plastic box is ludicrous. We haven't even addressed recording techniques and microphone choice or placement. You've got to hear (and feel) it in the flesh to really appreciate it.

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
mistermike said:
I agree entirely on the sound clip thing. It would be a phenominal task for even a high-end audio system to reproduce an automobile exhaust accurately. What passes a "good" computer sound is stone age compared to even a mediocre audio system. The low frequency components (rumble) of an exhaust is often its distinguishing flavor, and to even attempt to recreate it with some little bandpass woofer in a plastic box is ludicrous. We haven't even addressed recording techniques and microphone choice or placement. You've got to hear (and feel) it in the flesh to really appreciate it.
I understand that it might not reflect the exact sound that the car makes and in some cases people's cars will sound different, but you still get an idea of what the exhaust will sound like. When i was looking at a G35, i was looking at possible aftermarket supplies and what would be available to me. I found a web site that had about 30 or so different exhaust clips for 350Z and G35. From those clips i was able to tell what direction the exhaust would take from the stock setup. Some would make the exhaust real low in tone, some stayed closer to stock but were louder. Some just changed it completely to a more motorbike sound. All in all i was able to see and easily compare all exhausts. I guess a disclaimer would help since no car is exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts