LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Suffers From Small Tires
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with set of the Spohn Rear toe links I purchased for my 06.

The original bolt that connects the toe link to the cradle is 12mm. The Spohn toe links have a 1/2" hole size for the same connection point.

It doesn't make sense to use the OEM 12mm bolt here since there will be an excessive amount of play between the securing fastener and the joint. Ideally Id like to drill out the mounts on the cradle to except a 1/2" bolt. Except there is not a whole lot of room to get a drill ( I don't think a 90 degree drill will do it either.) in there without dropping the diff.

Guys who have installed Spohn toe links what did you do to solve this problem? Make a new reducer/spacer to take up the gap between oem bolt and the joint? Drop the diff and drill larger holes into the mounting ears? Or?

Thanks

BTW. I am in planning to contact Spohn during the week to see what they have say as well.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I used the Gforce ones and it was also 1/2". I drilled it out to 1/2" and put in grade 8 hardware. Took up the tolerance perfectly. I had my diff out though so it was easy to drill. I think a cordless angle drill might work if you have a friend with one. You could cut a bit for the first hole and then use a full size for the second. You could probably get the first one opened with a step bit, but it won't be very precise.

·
Suffers From Small Tires
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up dropping the diff to drill the needed 1/2" mounting bolts. Was unable to get any sort of drill between the diff and the "ear" for the front mounting point.

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
159 Posts
I have the rear Spohn bars and used the factory bolts. They fit fine and have been on over 2 years.

I was able to pull the factory ones out and install these without any fitment issues. It did take some time to get the bar lined up so I could get the bolts through.

Attachments

·
donde esta la biblioteca
296 Posts
not meaning to resurrect and old thread, but did you have to install new bushings with the Spohn rods?? im looking to get these as well and just want to get everything done at once

·
Performance Addict
159 Posts
not meaning to resurrect and old thread, but did you have to install new bushings with the Spohn rods?? im looking to get these as well and just want to get everything done at once
I did not do any bushings when I did the Spohn rods. I used the hardware that came from Spohn without any issues. It helps to use a big screwdriver or round tip of a pry bar to help line up the inner bolt holes. You definitely want to get the toe reset when you are done, it will be off some.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
296 Posts
Yea I was gonna have them install them and the camber eccentrics when I go to get an alignment. Do you recommend doing both or one or the other?? I have read 2 schools of though

·
Performance Addict
159 Posts
Yea I was gonna have them install them and the camber eccentrics when I go to get an alignment. Do you recommend doing both or one or the other?? I have read 2 schools of though
I know there can be different schools of thought, this is mine.

I am a corner carver, not a drag racer. Anything that gives me more adjust-ability over the alignment is a plus in my book. With that said I do not have camber eccentrics on my car. I have -1.5 camber in the rear which is where I am happy with it. The front is another story. I have it at -1.0 and I would love to be able to crank it to -1.5 or even -2.0 for 'aggressive' driving. I know there are kits for the front that allow you to dial in camber but I was not aware of any for the rear.

These are my current alignment settings:
Front:
Camber -1.0
Caster +10.2
Toe out 1/8”

Rear
Camber -1.5
Toe .00

What camber eccentrics are you looking at?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts