LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping for some tips on this...
My wife went shopping on Friday and had help bringing in the groceries... except someone didn't bring in 1 gallon of milk.
There it sat, in a closed car (her truck, not my GTO) in 90 degree heat for 2 days.
It exploded all over the carpet and under the back seats and on the back seats.

If you have ever experienced this you know the smell we are talking about here- akin to rotting flesh- and it doesn't like to go away.

So far I have been working on the carpet and seats with an extraction cleaner but some of the stink has really sunk into the fabric.

Other than continuing what I am doing (or trading the stinky f-cker in of course) any suggestions as to removing the smell?

I was thinking Lysol, Febreeze, dryer sheets and maybe some of that stuff for pets that removes the pee smell. TIA for any suggestions, my wife is in hell. I would let her borrow the Bimmer but she is not comfortable driving with a clutch.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,954 Posts
Liquid clothes detergent applied directly to the area. Scrub in lightly with a brush.

Rinse with cold water, dry quickly (don't want to compound the problem with mildew too). This usually works for vomit. Don't know about milk. Lysol won't touch it.

However it may take the dye out of the material, so try a spot first.

Good Luck, and please post on what does finally work.

·
Riding Goats since 2004
162 Posts
Suggest you remove all of the seats, disassemble the console, then remove the carpet and padding and clean everthing. If the seats are fabric, consider going to a junk yard and purchasing replacement seats as the foam will absorb the milk and forever hold the smell.

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts
You'll need to get rid of all the milk first or the smell will just come back later. Since it sat there for a few days I don't think it's going away anytime soon. Lysol may work at killing all the bacteria from the milk. On my first car that smelled all moldy I sprinkled baking soda all over the interior and let it sit there for a few days and then vaccumed it up. Worked pretty good.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
thats just horrible. i took my dads car out during a hurricane when i was 19 and couldn't rent a car yet and had my car in the dealer. well i was going on a dirt road and there was a big ditch. lol car went right in. the thing smelled for freaking ever. what i did for starters was get carpet cleaner. take out everything i could and put cold water on it then wet vac it all up. and do it again a few times. But in this case you might just have to spend the money and replace things. sorry to say it

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oleg said:
:worthless:
There's really not too much to see- only to smell!

I'm building my shopping list now. Perhaps now is a good time to give the truck back to GMC for some warranty work, LOL!

·
60% of the time, everytime.
1,167 Posts
first off... i had to laugh - at your expense ;)

however, I would suggest removing the area entirely from the car. seats, console everything. Its going to be a lot of work, but if you leave the smallest amount unclean the smell will linger forever.

Baking soda likes to get rid of smell, but how well does it clean? I'd suggest using oxyclean or something of that sort that is safe on material

·
Power in paradise
373 Posts
+1 on removing all seats, fabric etc. and washing. Only REAL way to do it.

Short of that.... you might want to try an Ozone generator. Run it overnight and it will kill all bacteria, and for that matter, all living stuff. Great for smells. IF you've already done a pretty good job on lifting up the remaining milk (or at least evaporating the majority of it), then it might work!

I've done this on cars with years of "kid food spillage" in family car - and worked like a charm.

Good luck!! And yeah... I'm sorry too, I had a great laugh at your expense!

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
I bought a car at auction that literally did have rotting flesh in it from a dead rat plus the previous owner smoked liked the proverbial chimney..
I took out the entire interior, doused it with heavy duty laundry detergent,scrubbed it hard, then pressure washed it with a 5hp/3500psi machine with hot water then let it bake out in the sun for an entire weekend. Before putting it in I then febreezed the hellout of it..Looked/smelled perfect..
If you dont know what you are doing with a high power pressure washer I dont reccomendit though,,you can easily put a hole thru it,thru your foot,your driveway,etc..

·
12,533 Posts
+2 on seat removal. Take it apart and clean the hell out of everything.

BTW, I didn't laugh like those other guys. Spilled milk is not a laughing matter. :sneaky:

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hehe thanks for the encouragement. My wife has said "no way" to taking out the interior so I am going to continue with the extraction til I can't see any more, douche the whole affair with baking soda for a couple days, run the ozone thingy and see how it goes from there.

If that doesn't do it I'll work on the remove the interior plan later. It's not a "mod" that I will appreciate doing myself.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
An Ozone generator should clear things up, once the bulk of the residue is cleaned up. They are used by fire restoration companies and mortuaries to neutralize otherwise uncontrollable odors. Many years ago, I worked for a drapery cleaning company, and we had one feeding a small sealed room to remove smoke odor.

·
99% Stock
4,968 Posts
Coffee grinds work pretty well.

Also this stuff called Nok Out helped me when my wife spilled a gallon of milk in her Pacifica.

Be careful, the site seems to be infected with a virus.
http://www.nokout.com/

·
Registered
264 Posts
Time will remove the smell since the milk protiens will eventually break down. You can help speed the process up, though, by letting the car air dry at every chance (I mean leave the car doors open night and day (take out the seats if you can)).

·
NC Rogue Squadron
4,002 Posts
Lighter Fluid and a Match. Boom!!

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
like i've been saying. you might just have to end up replacing some of the things to make it easier and there is no way your going to be able to do a good job with out removing some of the interior.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
gagoat said:
+1 on the baking soda
+2 or +3, I stopped reading once I saw it had been suggested. And use a shop vac a couple days later, reapeat as needed, probably 2 or 3 times.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts