LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello GTOers,

Are there really any differences between these headlight brands? They look the same. I'm switching from my cloudy OEM headlights. I have the Spyder Smoke/Chrome headlights that I have yet to install, I've just decided against the chrome look and want to go black instead.

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure of the differences, but if you're interested in selling me those cloudy OEM headlights, let me know.
I already have an extra set of OEM headlights that I can use for parts.
I'll keep you in mind for when they are off of the car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sent a message to the eBay seller VIPmotoZ. They responded saying that VIPmotoZ and Spyder Auto headlights are manufactured by the same manufacturer, Venom Inc. at least that's the case for the GTO headlights. I sent a message to OEMassive as well, waiting to hear back.

·
Living the dream!
4,801 Posts
From both of those websites, they look to be the Halo Headlights that some people buy on ebay.
Some here like or just accept 'em. Some, not so much. Compared to what the actual OEM headlights cost, I'd buy Halo's just to save the extra $800+ and use it for something else...like beer and BBQ. The cost of replacement headlights (and most other OEM parts) for these cars is outrageous. I know why, but still!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From both of those websites, they look to be the Halo Headlights that some people buy on ebay.
Some here like or just accept 'em. Some, not so much. Compared to what the actual OEM headlights cost, I'd buy Halo's just to save the extra $800+ and use it for something else...like beer and BBQ. The cost of replacement headlights (and most other OEM parts) for these cars is outrageous. I know why, but still!
Exactly. They will do the job for my aesthetic plan with this car which is black fender stripes, black rims, black emblems and badges, black tail lights, and black headlights. OEM headlights are outrageously expensive indeed and I don't feel like refinishing my OEMs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OEMassive is their own manufacturer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my opinion, then they should try to manufacture/sell those GTO headlights without the Halo's built into them. They'd probably make a much better profit.
Yeah it seems like everyone likes the OEM style. I like it too, just can't justify the price.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Exactly. They will do the job for my aesthetic plan with this car which is black fender stripes, black rims, black emblems and badges, black tail lights, and black headlights. OEM headlights are outrageously expensive indeed and I don't feel like refinishing my OEMs.

If your oem headlights are just cloudy, for a small fee i can sand them down, polish and clear with automotive clear. I can also repair soft spots and holes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your oem headlights are just cloudy, for a small fee i can sand them down, polish and clear with automotive clear. I can also repair soft spots and holes.
Yeah I could do that but the matte black housing will fall in line with DEPO black/clear taillights.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It don’t matter to me. I was just giving you an option and throwing it out there.
Some of the cloudiness seems to be coming from the inside of the housing, too. Will have to see if that sands out or not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To anyone else reading this thread, I'm seeing a few more brands: AKKON, ACANII, XTUNE, ZMAUTOPARTS. They all look like they are from the same manufacturer, they even use the same pictures in their listings.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Some of the cloudiness seems to be coming from the inside of the housing, too. Will have to see if that sands out or not.
That’s why I went with aftermarket headlights. My buddies gto on the other hand, was only cloudy on the outside and I refinished his for him. They look new.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s why I went with aftermarket headlights. My buddies gto on the other hand, was only cloudy on the outside and I refinished his for him. They look new.
From what I've read, the bulbs could actually be burning the inside of the housing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To anyone else reading this thread, I'm seeing a few more brands: AKKON, ACANII, XTUNE, ZMAUTOPARTS. They all look like they are from the same manufacturer, they even use the same pictures in their listings.
My shipment from VIPMOTOZ came in the other day, the headlights were package in a Sptder Auto headlight box, they weren't lying when they said they were made by the same manufacturer. They look exactly like the ones advertised on the Spyder Auto website and match the pictures from the brands listed above. I seem to be about $100 cheaper than the ones branded / sold by Spyder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts