LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a whopping 600 miles on the GTO and my clutch is squeaking like it's needs a good dose of WD-40... what's up? Anyone else have that problem? I've driven manuals for the past 20 years - most recently a Mustang GT (traded with 35,000 miles) and Camaro Z28 (traded with 52,000 miles) and have never had a clutch that sounds worse than this one does after 3 weeks. Arghhh!

Thanks. Lori

·
23 psi
510 Posts
I noticed something like this today as well. I've had mine for 4 weeks now. In my case anyway, I don't think it's the clutch...I think it's my leg pressing down on the seat and the seat rubbing on the plastic on the bottom of the seat. I believe that I read someplace here before that if you cut part of the plastic out it'd get rid of the squeek when you pressed in the clutch.

Anybody else with this problem?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jbls1gto said:
I noticed something like this today as well. I've had mine for 4 weeks now. In my case anyway, I don't think it's the clutch...I think it's my leg pressing down on the seat and the seat rubbing on the plastic on the bottom of the seat. I believe that I read someplace here before that if you cut part of the plastic out it'd get rid of the squeek when you pressed in the clutch.

Anybody else with this problem?
That sounds different than what I have. Mine is the clutch pedal. I actually got out of the car and pressed down with my hand and heard the same noise - weird...

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
LoriRae, be careful with that clutch. A few guys up here were hearing noises and the next thing you know the clutch broke. You might PM dmonty. This happened to him
and he was stranded. I don't mean to alarm you, but just to inform you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My clutch sqeaked alot until I hit about 1500 miles, no noise at all now. I haven't owned a manual in over 15 years, so I intentionally would take the long way and find traffic to drive through ( hard to do in San Antonio sometimes ). I finally feel like I am competitant and drive a stick again and I really had thought about the sqeak until I read your post.

Drive it, have fun with it, don't worry your self too much. But . . . good post.

Jag

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It is the bearing portion of the throw out bearing. It pushes against the pressure plate and has a spinning bearing on the end.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
LoriRae, be careful with that clutch. A few guys up here were hearing noises and the next thing you know the clutch broke. You might PM dmonty. This happened to him
and he was stranded. I don't mean to alarm you, but just to inform you.
I think the problem a couple other people had was where the pedal connects to the 'linkage' for the clutch (since it's hydraulic, it actually just pushes a rod) Anyhow, the pedal pivots on a plastic bushing and that was the component that was failing.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The linkage problem lies where the top of the clutch lever mates with the slave cylinder plunger. The plunger has a metal actuator that surrounds with a circlular catch, similar to any eye bolt. The problem is that there are 2 little plastic tabs that the stud of the clutch lever should 'pop' into to make the linkage complete. Two little tabs!!!
If there is only a squeaking condition present then I would just have it looked at. If you notice ANY clicking or popping then bring it in ASAP! I brought mine in for the popping so I could get it fixed and ended up stranded AFTER the fix and had to sport a Nissan ALtima for a wekend!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts