LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a couple of weeks ago, I was out putting some miles on the ol' goat (sits in garage all week), and I saw a SRT-4 (still had temp tags in back glass) in the right lane of a 5 lane road (2 per direction, plus turn lane) slowing for traffic to turn down side street. I went past at speed and blipped the throttle as I was by his window. Once his lane cleared he came up and past me and lifted so I could hear the BOV (very sweet). He makes a right down another 5 lane road, so I follow.

I keep it in 2nd gear to keep the revvs up, and I roll next to him at about 25mph, and we look at each other and have a decent amount of road ahead of us before traffic, so I jump on it and he nails it. He started to pull ahead (his rear was at my door) until I hit third and I just started pulling on him and going right on by. However, I now had the traffic on my lane and as my rear was at about his front fender, I lifted and he kept it planted and off he went, never to be seen again.

I can't say that was a kill, but I was definitely beginning to pull on him. Would have been nice to have open lanes to see what would have come of it. I totally dig those cars, they have to be the best 'bang for the buck' in the performance division.

Thats all for now, thanks for reading.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Nice! I raced a stock one and pulled him no problem. I raced a Stage 1 or 2 (can't remember now) at the 1/8 mile track and beat him by 2 tenths. He pulled me off the line but at 350-400 feet the LS1 pulled hard and he fell back! Do not underestimate a SRT-4. They are cheap to mod and their owners are doing just that!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
nice run. A stock gto vs a stock srt-4. The gto should have no problem beating a srt-4 stock. I raced a blue gto last weekend off of hwy 370 out in Saint Charles. We raced from around 30 to 110 and I put 2 cars on him. I'm not stock though. I only have a stage 2 wastegate that lets me hold 16 lbs of boost until redline. Stock I was only holding 10-11 at redline. The best 2 mods I believe you can do for a srt-4 is update the wastegate b/c the stock spring is weak and add a bc.
Hey no coness if you are ever out in St. Chuck pm me and I will race you and I will try to videotape it. I will post if I win or lose. I would have to say blue is the best looking color for the gto. The srt-4 is better to run from a roll b/c from a stop all they do is spin. For instance my buddy has a blue 04 srt-4 and he runs 13.3 @110 mph. Most cars that trap @110 run mid to high 12's. The srt-4 loves to spin the tires. I can spin my tires through the first 3 gears. I only race from a roll b/c of that reason. My best 60 ft time is a 2.249. I'm sure the gto probably does 1.9 or 2.0 60 ft times. FWD sucks
Again nice kill
A lot of srt-4 owners think their car is unbeatable b/c they can beat gts and z28s. So keep them in check.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in St. Peters, so I'm always around, but not always in the goat. Maybe we should hook up sometime, I like to cruise and shoot the bull about cars. I work with a guy whose g/f has a red SRT-4 (she's in the SRT club) and I helped them put the stage one upgrades on hers. It sounds very cool w/ the upgraded wastegate/BOV.

Maybe I'll see you around the area (I sometimes go out to Cave Springs on Sat nite to see who is running who).

·
Registered
66 Posts
You talking about Janet. She autocrosses her srt-4. I don't drive my srt-4 either that much. I have a daily driver. My srt-4 is getting ready to get stored for winter. Put about 7,500 miles a year on it. Was at the sonic of of 370 and elm tonight. Bunch of V8's up there. Is your gto stock? I'm in the srt club also.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup Janet. I autocross my Impala SS all the time, so I see here there with that. My GTO is stock right now (prolly will be for a while, too). I'm sure I'll see you around, I'll PM you if we end up cruising one of these coming weekends.

BTW, I'm taking my GTO to Gateway this coming Tues for some Test 'n Tune action (first time out w/ the goat), I'm hoping to get some extra goats out there, we'll see how many show up.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
You gotta watch those SRT4s, there's a modded 11-second one near me that was undefeated until he ran my C5 :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I have no doubt that those little suckers are easy to make fast, and most of them are already hitting the Stage 1 and 2 kits at minimum. However, it's not too often that you find a late-teen / early 20's male w/ temp tags in the back glass that has already done that kind of work. I very rarely pick on a car, and when I do, it is only after I have surveyed the car for a while.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
04srt4 said:
you talking about psi-fi motorsports srt-4?
It's a local street racer, not sure of his tuner. It's rumored he's running a shot on the car as well, he gave me a really good race. He slaughtered a few f-bodies locally(mostly stock) and when he heard my car was running a stock motor he started talking s--t. He didn't realize I have one of the quickest stock motored C5s in the country though :p There's no doubt in my mind that he'd eat a stock Z06 for lunch as he gave me more of a run than the stock Zs do. I take nothing for granted anymore, street racing has given me one helluva education about sleepers. That's why I want an '04 GTO, nobody will see it coming when I mod it, with all the online trash talking about the car. I won't be happy until I hit 11s.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanatos said:
Hey No coness. Any cruising planned for this weekend?
Dunno, maybe we could get Merdin and get 04srt4 and go cruise around.

Also, are you going to Gateway tomorrow nite? I get out of work at 5pm and I'll head right there.

Lemme know!!!

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
no coness said:
Dunno, maybe we could get Merdin and get 04srt4 and go cruise around.

Also, are you going to Gateway tomorrow nite? I get out of work at 5pm and I'll head right there.

Lemme know!!!
I'm thinking about heading out there. Would you want to meet somewhere and go together?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts