LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
6.6 Litres of Doom
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting about this in the Texas section, and seeing how many people in there expressed interest in doing this mod, I figured I'd go ahead and post this information here so more people had easy access to it.

End product:

Parts list:
2 x EAR-991955ERL (M16x1.50 o-ring to -6AN Male) - one for pump output, other for rack input (top fitting on rack)
1 x EAR-991956ERL (M18x1.50 o-ring to -6AN Male) - lower fitting on rack
3 x RUS-620421 (90 degree -6 hose ends) - Both rack ports, pressure side of pump hose ends. While these will work, and are what I used, if you can find high pressure 45* fittings it would work out better to use them for the rack fittings instead of 90* (so 2x 45* and 1 90* for pump output)
1 x RUS-620401 (Straight -6 hose end) - End of braided line before it goes into rubber line leading to the p/s cooler
RUS-670300 (Straight -6 to hose barb) - Braided line to rubber hose, to connect to factory p/s cooler line
RUS-632620 (10ft pre-cut power steering line) As this was my first time making braided line, I got a bit extra, plus I wanted to have some slack so I wouldn't have to undo the fittings on the rack to drop it. You should be able to get away with using a 6' length (RUS-632610) if you're confident with your line making abilities.

Subtotal on Jeg's shows $141.91 with 10ft of hose, $124.91 with 6ft of hose.

I would also recommend picking up RUS-671570, it's a combo package of AN hose assembly lubricant and thread sealer. You'll have plenty left over, but both items are handy to have if you work on cars much. It's $11.99.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's pretty awesome. Wonder why no one has done it before or why a company doesn't make a kit for this. I wouldn't mind doing this after a few other mods.

·
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!!
949 Posts
Nice! Appreciate the write up with part numbers. I'm going to do this mod very soon!

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
That's pretty awesome. Wonder why no one has done it before or why a company doesn't make a kit for this. I wouldn't mind doing this after a few other mods.
other folks have done this. I know there is a another thread where we discuss the adapters, and Im pretty sure there is at least one thread on the plumbing.

As far as why nobody sells a kit, there is little margin to be had honestly by re-selling lines and adapters. Its just not that hard to pick out and assemble lines and fittings for something like this.

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
nice write up! also, thanks for posting the part numbers.

i wonder if there is any benefit to also doing the other lines coming out the rack as well. mine seem close to the headers.

·
6.6 Litres of Doom
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After driving the car for a few days now (motor was obviously out in the picture, got it running again about 5am Saturday morning) I've noticed a *slight* increase in responsiveness and steering feedback. May be my mind playing tricks on me after not driving the car for a month, but the steering feels better than I remember.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After driving the car for a few days now (motor was obviously out in the picture, got it running again about 5am Saturday morning) I've noticed a *slight* increase in responsiveness and steering feedback. May be my mind playing tricks on me after not driving the car for a month, but the steering feels better than I remember.
Only makes sense, theres some serious pressure in that system. Any way, good looking work..

I wonder about plumbing a cooler in while building up the lines.. hmm..

·
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!!
949 Posts
No it's not hard. And it's cheap. I did a short write up a few weeks ago. Only cost $30-40.

·
408 DD
150 Posts
Thank tou much for posting this. This mod is on my list from the first time I saw you do this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also noticed my lines are getting corroded. I replaced all my coolant lines with McMaster Carr off the shelf hose. This is another area where its easy to do a long term replacement and pretty soon nobody will be able to find the stock lines. Who want to replace rusting lines with lines that will rust again in a few years?

I'll be printing this one out for future use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very good idea , Thank you

·
6.6 Litres of Doom
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question...

Would the 2005-06 part numbers for these lines be the same.
Sorry for not getting back to you on this, this forum has ceased to email me about thread responses.

Yes, the part numbers are the same for '04-06. The factory lines are bent different in the LS2 cars, but all of the fittings are the same. I actually used one of my factory lines to replace one that broke on my younger brother's '06 (after a little custom bending).

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

·
AWWWWW YEAH....
2,533 Posts
Very nice.. Thanks for the write up and #'s!!

·
Turbo IS300
437 Posts
I dumped all my tranie and power steering hard lines out of my life, just won't put up with the misery, i love a car easy to work on, ever try to get the starter out of the car with the power steering lines looping under the starter, going to the passenger side only to migrate back to the drivers side around the engine, I too noticed better steering response and feel, another delight full trick i play was to dump the motor mounts, they are so big i thought the part number was a zip code, and replaced them with Rocksand blue with about half the OD half the weight stronger and no vibration transfer.

·
GTP Turned GTO
1,905 Posts
old thread bump here but If my eyes aren't deceiving me, this would make all of the PS lines braided and flexible? if so...holy shit do want.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts