LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Seeking additional traction..
726 Posts
I just finished up doing this with the OP's list. Ordered everything on his list and went to it. I added a 36" length of DEI sleeving to the pressure side as it is closer to the headers. I left enough slack in the lines to drop the rack without disconnecting anything. No leaks to be found but keeping a cautious eye on it before I say its all good. I watched the video from Summit racing on doing the teflon lines and it was pretty straightforward. No issues making the lines. I have a set of cable cutters for the fat 1/0 gauge for the cuts.

Issues I ran in to-
1. The lower (19mm) low pressure return fitting did not thread in very far. I think I got 2 full turns until it bottomed out, about 8 threads showing, whereas the top (16mm) only has two threads still showing. The pump fitting went in as far as the 16mm rack fitting. It was just the fat one that gives me the uneasy feeling.
2. I made my lines too long. I had a little more than a foot left. I pulled the low pressure line slack around the front and to the pass side of the oil pan. The pressure side I just pulled into the engine mount area making sure not to put to much bend in it. If you do this with 6' of line it will be closer. I'll end cutting mine back eventually.
3. I attached the new lines to the rack while it was down so I wasn't thinking of alignment once mounted. I should have angled the fitting more horizontal to keep the lines as far away from the header primaries (Kooks 1-7/8). I have 3/4" but it could another inch with fitting adjustment. I was done with it today and will fix it down the line at some point.

It's raining so I didn't drive it around to see if it felt any different. With wheels in the air it would "stutter" when doing left to right lock turns. Put the car down and the stutter was gone. Figure the air will work it's way out. I did motor off turns till bubble ceased and then did it with the motor running. Took 1/2 qt to fill the system. The untrained eye would never spot them but the trained eye would.

I also left the stock lines in place but will remove them once I know there aren't any leaks.

·
Eve the LS1der
888 Posts
as previously mentioned, I would be another guy that would offer a premium price for a pre- assembled lines and fittings. I would trust someone that is much more experienced at fitting SS lines so they are leak free than my own novice hands.

PM me and we can talk price!

·
Eve the LS1der
888 Posts
Going to do this mod this weekend. I just got under the car and actually measured out the high pressure from the pump to the 16 mm top side of the rack and the weird routing has me totaling about 75 inches of SS line to follow the " factory" hard line to rubber expansion loop thingy back to hard line along the oil pan and then to the pump. Any issues with just taking a straight shot and shortening up the hose length. Does that additional length actually help with cooling? Why the heck is it's routed that way in the first place?

·
Eve the LS1der
888 Posts
Ok, so I did the two lines a to the Rack his weekend and for the most part it's pretty straight forward. I would REALLY encourage you all to drop the rack to make the new fittings go on easier! It can be done without taking it down. I also had a heck of a time getting the two cross over pipes that connect to the pump and the cooler fittings to come out once I disconnected them. I ended hacking most of it up and pulled it out in pieces.....sooooo the an fittings I made better not leak :). Now onto some length estimates

The lower fitting to the ps cooler was 40" long and about perfect length
The pump to the rack upper fitting I made 36 inches and it could be made shorter, by about a foot, but I just liked having a little extra just in case I did needed to drop the rack some day.

I also found out that I had enough extra to make a line to the ps cooler and back to the ps reservoir which means I had to order more fittings

2 x RUS-620401 (Straight -6 hose end) - End of braided line before it goes into rubber line leading to the p/s cooler and the reservoir rubber line
2x RUS-670300 (Straight -6 to hose barb) - Braided line to rubber hose

What did you all do to get all of the air out of the lines?

·
right foot maniac
1,696 Posts
1 put the car up on stands,2 fill ps tank up,3 start car and slowly turn steering wheel left & right to lock while adding fluid to tank into you can't add anymore in no more bubbles come up

·
Red'uns are Faster
190 Posts
Those look really good! I also really like the motor mounts, where did you get them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been thinking about doing this for quite a while. As some people near me that have failed at installing headers ruining the lines, then i get a phone call for help lol. If its cost effective I might have some made at the parker store because its right by the house.

Great writeup man

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got almost everything as far as info neede to do this project. Only question I have is do you "have" to lift the engine out to do this? Great write up btw

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got almost everything as far as info neede to do this project. Only question I have is do you "have" to lift the engine out to do this? Great write up btw
No, my buddy did his incar. He said it was a PITA, but I wasn't around for the actual install. I'll pick his brain, and tell him to PM you.

·
Registered
981 Posts

I copied everything in the OPs post when I did mine. No need to lift engine. Look for my write up - lots o pics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone know the part numbers for the 45 degree angle as the op suggested using instead of the (3) 90 degree pieces.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Wow, I am so glad I found this thread. I just ordered the fittings and line as stated in OP's first post. I'm going to assemble and install this to hopefully cure my leak at the return line connection to the rack.

This should be pinned to the top!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts