LS1GTO.com Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nobody mentions filter(s) on low pressure return line, why?>>>

Filters are debatable, change fluid at least annually they are just something else to go wrong. If you collect a lot of garbage in that rotation there is something else going on that a filter may prolong but a case like that needs to be investigated, not covered up.

<<<Saw at least one mention cooler other than radiator, why not more thoughts, Heat Exchangers, chillers, etc ?>>

Factory GTOs use a separate, stand alone "cooler" on the return side in front of the radiator. It is in essence some fins welded to the return line and just this side of absolutely worthless. The only practical purpose it serves is to fill the gap left in the line if you cut it off and threw it away. Using the radiator (assuming you are referring to the a/t side) would be the definition of over kill. Any piece of equipment that transfers temperature from a source to a receiver is a heat exchanger. If there is one thing that might beat out the radiator for over kill it would have to be a chiller.

<<<I am tired of keeping engine clean and sparkling and then seeing or knowing diarrhea in reservoir, am I alone on this?>>>

See above

<<<No mention of reducing heat soak, move battery to trunk and get OTRCAI intake. There is oem outside air intake in oem original air box! Mod the battery area (open up a air intake there).>>>

DUDE- THE TOPIC IS OVER HERE......

<<< What is temp on P/S fluid?. I've seen alternators with fan working from pulley, how about P/S pump with fan,>>>

A pump that may benefit from a fan would explode before you got to the street or so large you'd need a second GTO to carry the pump and third to carry the fan around for you. System pressure peaks reach well into the thousands, clean fluid is not compressible therefore the pump must be strong enough to take that hammering. You would be surprised at how little is inside a PS pump, 80% of one is the casting itself. Oh and adding a fan would also add more parasitic loss to the accessory drive system, it takes power to turn one.

<<< A/C uses clutch logic - can this logic be applied to P/S pump - activated when we turn steering wheel.>>>

That would work if you could get the system to anticipate every move and start before you do. The fact is the system (provided the car is not sitting still, the engine not running, there is no fluid or the belt is off) is constantly loaded just keeping the car straight even though you don't feel it. Attach a digital gauge and log it, it never flat lines. If you drive a vehicle without power assist you will appreciate what an assisted system does other than make it easier to park.

<<<Anybody ever try doing any of this? If so, pls share, I never re-invent the wheel unless I am sure nobody has tried to before me.>>>

There have been attempts at electronic steering, there have been attempts at 4 wheel steering, there were also better than 125 attempts on Hitler's life. Some things just don't work out. I'm pretty sure the wheel as we know it is safe for now.

<<<Reason I ask is my builder will be pulling my engine and trans out shortly for mods, bolt ons and whatever other crazy stuff I want done>>>

If that is the extent of your plan for the engine you should leave steering alone.

<<<or he wants to try.>>>

If you let your builder experiment with you engine you should go back to steering.

<<< He used to own title of Fastest GTO in SC. Well someone beat his time (I showed him link).>>>

And because you can't put anything on the internet that is not true......

<<< Well supposedly he spun a bearing and flattened a lope on his cam,>>>

At the same time? Does that mean his idle smoothed out? And you let him turn wrenches on your ride? Why don't you ask him the steering questions?

<<<That's the story he gave me, IMO he is doing whatever it takes to regain his title again. I am proud to be his buddy and hopefully soon his friend also.>>>

You can't really be one without a whole bunch of the other.
If you go to a professional for any kind of service work (not just automotive) try to keep it at a professional level. If you go to a buddy don't be surprised if he is full send it John Caridin when an experiment goes south.

·
Registered
218 Posts
KM06,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, regarding my post.
I really liked your format of presentation response (might wanna consider Bold or Italic to stand out a little more)
The thoughts / opinions expressed by you are appreciated (Both negative and Positive) are yours, and you can clearly see the difference between us (we are both entitled to them).
However you did seem to get some exercise (jumping / leaping) to conclusions IMO regarding my builder, buddy and hopefully a friend.
<<<Reason I ask is my builder will be pulling my engine and trans out shortly for mods, bolt ons and whatever other crazy stuff I want done>>>

If that is the extent of your plan for the engine you should leave steering alone.
:) MY BUILDERS REASONS FOR ENGINE / TRANS PULL OUT..IS RATHER SIMPLE (HE HAS HOIST AND LIFT) AND WITH THE CURRENT MODS BEING DONE...that is easiest way to do all of them.

<<<or he wants to try.>>>

If you let your builder experiment with you engine you should go back to steering.[/QUOTE]

:) WE ALREADY HAVE AGREED UPON LABOR COST. I LIKE HAVING BUILDER SUGGEST (WANT TO'S). THAT GIVES HIM SOME OWNERSHIP IN JOB. GET BETTER RESULTS

<<< He used to own title of Fastest GTO in SC. Well someone beat his time (I showed him link).>>>

And because you can't put anything on the internet that is not true......

:) TRUE, HOWEVER NOT PRODUCTIVE, GOOD EXAMPLE OF EXERCISE

<<< Well supposedly he spun a bearing and flattened a lope on his cam,>>>

At the same time? Does that mean his idle smoothed out? And you let him turn wrenches on your ride? Why don't you ask him the steering questions?

:) NOT NICE! NON-CONSTRUCTIVE - REALLY WORKING UP A SWEAT ON EXERCISE

<<<That's the story he gave me, IMO he is doing whatever it takes to regain his title again. I am proud to be his buddy and hopefully soon his friend also.>>>

You can't really be one without a whole bunch of the other.
If you go to a professional for any kind of service work (not just automotive) try to keep it at a professional level. If you go to a buddy don't be surprised if he is full send it John Caridin when an experiment goes south.[/QUOTE]

:) AGREED ON FIRST SENTENCE, YOUR OPINION ON SECOND SENTENCE - BUT I DO NOT DISAGREE. NOW THIRD SENTENCE....JOHN CARIDIN REFERENCE (I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH HIM OR HIS QUOTES). HAVE I GIVEN YOU REASON TO USE IT? IS IT CORRECT IN THIS MATTER WE ARE DISCUSSING? PERHAPS YOU ARE REFERRING TO: "Richmond Reed Carradine, BORN February 5, 1906 ALIAS Peter Richmond ,,WHO USED stage name "John Carradine" in 1935, and legally took the name as his own two years later. HIS SON DAVID (KUNG FOO TV SHOW) QUOTED HIS FATHER A LOT" (INFO OBTAINED FROM Wikipedia ). IS THAT WHO YOU ARE QUOTING?....MY BEST GUESS...?

:mad::devilish::) WELL IF MY GUESS IS CORRECT...PLS: PM ME, INCLUDE NAME, ADDRESS, CITY, STATE AND ZIP CODE...WHY?? - I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU THE "PECK
(John's stepfather) METHOD" of child raising. HOPEFULLY YOU ARE SLOW LEARNER...AND SINCE WE MUTUALLY AGREE ON THE FIRST SENTENCE WE WILL HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON AND I AM WILLING TO PROVE THE WHOLE BUNCH THEORY.

IF MY GUESS IS WRONG, WELL: THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS AND PERHAPS WE CAN MEET UP SOMETIME AT A FUTURE GTO GATHERING TO EXPLORE THIS FURTHER, IF YOU SO DESIRE.

·
Registered
218 Posts
:) Clever response, my compliments

:mad::devilish::) WELL IF MY GUESS IS CORRECT...PLS: PM ME, INCLUDE NAME, ADDRESS, CITY, STATE AND ZIP CODE...WHY?? - I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU THE "PECK (John's stepfather) METHOD" of child raising. HOPEFULLY YOU ARE SLOW LEARNER...AND SINCE WE MUTUALLY AGREE ON THE FIRST SENTENCE WE WILL HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON AND I AM WILLING TO PROVE THE WHOLE BUNCH THEORY.

IF MY GUESS IS WRONG, WELL: THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS AND PERHAPS WE CAN MEET UP SOMETIME AT A FUTURE GTO GATHERING TO EXPLORE THIS FURTHER, IF YOU SO DESIRE.
After school works for me. As I said previously PM me with requested info. Until I receive PM, pls do not expect any more replies from me on this post regarding your thoughts.

·
Registered
217 Posts
:) Clever response, my compliments

After school works for me. As I said previously PM me with requested info. Until I receive PM, pls do not expect any more replies from me on this post regarding your thoughts.
You burned the closer way to soon dude, you were supposed to say something about my mama first. The high road only makes you tall as well as stupid.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
380 Posts
Instead of using the RUS-620401 (Straight -6 hose end) and RUS-670300 (Straight -6 to hose barb), can I use the RUS-624013 hose barb to -6AN hose end fitting? Also, can't find the combo package RUS-671570, but Summit has AN hose assembly lube and thread sealer in a few brands.

I also found the Russell brand equivalents to the Earl's fittings. They are RUS-648060 for the M16x1.50 o-ring to -6AN Male fitting and RUS-648080 for the M18x1.50 o-ring to -6AN Male fitting. They have a zinc finish instead of blue anodized.

Thanks,

Greg
To answer my own question, I used a SUM-250690B -6 straight PTFE fitting black and SUM-220186B hose barb to -6AN hose end fitting since the RUS-624013 is for Russell's Twist-Lok hose and their other fittings mentioned above weren't available for a few weeks.

I put everything together a couple weeks ago, removing the driver's side header (that I had just installed) to give me easy access to the steering rack fittings and everything else. I routed the pressure hose from the pump between the engine mount and the oil pan, wrapping it in 5/8" heater hose to protect it from chafing. The return line runs along the frame rail and in front of the engine, following the same path as the stock hard line. I was able to remove the stock pressure line from the car.

I ended up with a slight leak on the hose end near the pump. I think it was the first connection I assembled, and discovered the PTFE hose wasn't pushed inside the olive/ferrule enough. I disassembled the fitting, pushed in a new olive, and screwed it back together, no leaks since then.

Greg

·
Registered
625 Posts
Seems like I messed up my first line end too. Leaking on the high pressure side of the rack. Sucks its so hard to get too. Another thing, seems like the stock reservoir bleeds off pressure but I cant say. Got an aluminum tank and doesn't have a baffle either. Maybe the fluids just getting too hot.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts