LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am scheduled to have SW LT's and a dyno tune done at Speed INC in a couple of weeks. I am wondering if I should be concerned if I run without any cats, at least with just the LT headers. I want to run with cats. Can I have Speed INC use my factory cats somehow or buy others they can put on? So, I can't use the stock converters with the SW Headers? They are going to put in some NGK's and new plug wires too. Does this sound like a good basic approach and is there anything else anyone would recommend? Will my mileage stay about the same?
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had the SW's installed, and a tune at Speed Inc. I am running no cats, but you can get hi flow cats to replace the OEM's. IMO I don't think it is very feasible to try and get the OEM cats back in. SW sells random technology cats, and will work well. Your mileage will probably get better after the header and tune.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Don't put stock cats back in... but if you're concerned go with the random techs like OBXGTO said. but with a tune, there is not problem running without cats. They only concern should be is if you can pass emissions in IN without em i.e. does Indiana have visual inspections?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
gotzaGTO said:
They only concern should be is if you can pass emissions in IN without em i.e. does Indiana have visual inspections?
As I understand it emissions testing is ending here in Floyd County, IN as of this year and I won't have to have one again. I have noticed the Pacesetter GTO Headers are much cheaper then the SW's. I have already talked to Speed INC and have the SW's planned, but would I be as well off with a set of coated Pacestter's? I have not planned a CAI, but I wonder if it is worth it? A hotter cam also darts through my mind, but I don't want a mileage hit nor "lopiness" or a loss in drivability. If I got the cheaper headers I could spend a little more than I first planned and get a cam put in, but I have the extended warranty and the cam would probably cause problems there. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OBXGTO said:
I just had the SW's installed, and a tune at Speed Inc. I am running no cats, but you can get hi flow cats to replace the OEM's. IMO I don't think it is very feasible to try and get the OEM cats back in. SW sells random technology cats, and will work well. Your mileage will probably get better after the header and tune.
I guess I can live without cats if the computer can be made to do fine without them, but I will talk to Speed INC some more about this. BTW, how happy are you with the job they did with your tune and headers? Was the improvement worth it?

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Nick63 said:
As I understand it emissions testing is ending here in Floyd County, IN as of this year and I won't have to have one again. I have noticed the Pacesetter GTO Headers are much cheaper then the SW's. I have already talked to Speed INC and have the SW's planned, but would I be as well off with a set of coated Pacestter's? I have not planned a CAI, but I wonder if it is worth it? A hotter cam also darts through my mind, but I don't want a mileage hit nor "lopiness" or a loss in drivability. If I got the cheaper headers I could spend a little more than I first planned and get a cam put in, but I hve the extended warranty and the cam probably cause problems there. Anyone have some thoughts on this?
wow, lots of ?s there...

Pacesetters are cheaper then SW and you could have them coated, but by that time, you've equaled the prices out... and I'd be carefull running pacesetters in the winter even if they're coated... they don't use SS on GTO headers.

a CAI is good for 10~12 RWHP, but would be well worth having them on before the tune.

A cam can get you power and better gas milage without loss of drivability... but its EXPENSIVE to have it installed.

A cam would kill the extended warranty, I'd say you're better off with SW headers and a CAI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
gotzaGTO said:
wow, lots of ?s there...

Pacesetters are cheaper then SW and you could have them coated, but by that time, you've equaled the prices out... and I'd be carefull running pacesetters in the winter even if they're coated... they don't use SS on GTO headers.

a CAI is good for 10~12 RWHP, but would be well worth having them on before the tune.

A cam can get you power and better gas milage without loss of drivability... but its EXPENSIVE to have it installed.

A cam would kill the extended warranty, I'd say you're better off with SW headers and a CAI.
They have Pace Setter 05-06 GTO Headers - COATED $399.99 so they still seem somewhat cheaper. Why the problem running Pacesetters in the winter? I am tempted to just cancel the extended warranty and use the refunded money to do other things like heads. I figure $350 for the cam. What would you expect a cam install to cost? Yes, I have lots of questions and I appreciate your answers.

ps I see Speed INC wants $389 for most cams.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Nick63 said:
They have Pace Setter 05-06 GTO Headers - COATED $399.99 so they still seem somewhat cheaper. Why the problem running Pacesetters in the winter? I am tempted to just cancel the extended warranty and use the refunded money to do other things like heads. I figure $350 for the cam. What would you expect a cam install to cost? Yes, I have lots of questions and I appreciate your answers.

ps I see Speed INC wants $389 for most cams.

pacesetters LTs for the GTO are made out of carbon steel, which will rust. the reaon I worry about them in the winter is if some of that coating comes off and salt hits that metal.... hello rust!

and you're looking at 350 or soo for the cam... another 500~700 for springs, retainters and UP pulley... and then 1000 for install. I got hooked up with deals at the time, and my cam install even though I did it, was still almost 1000 for parts alone. you can't run a higher lift cam w/out better springs and then that means better retainers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nick63 said:
I guess I can live without cats if the computer can be made to do fine without them, but I will talk to Speed INC some more about this. BTW, how happy are you with the job they did with your tune and headers? Was the improvement worth it?
I am very happy with the headers and tune. I love the sound. It is expensive, but you have to pay to play....

EPP put the headers on for me, and I drove to Chi-town for the tune. I didn't get a dyno before so I don't know how much gain I got with the headers and tune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts