LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks, tell me your experiences with a converter on your daily driver (or your once in a while driver). I'm trying to decide how high to go and want to get real world experiences from people who have installed them. I'm wanting to go fast and am willing to put up with some driveability deterioration, but there is a limit. The car must remain useable and somewhat civilized.

Thanks in advance,

LR

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
you have a maggie right?

I wouldnt go any higher than a 3200.

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
3,934 Posts
Yup, 3200 is a great compromise of driveability and power for a Maggie car.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Took me a couple of months to warm up to a mild 2800 converter, but now I'm used to it. Feels different, but perfectly streetable. Vigalante converters are reputed to underrated, so it's more like others 3200. Remember Maggies
have it down low - you might not even need the torque multiplication of an aftermarket converter

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
3,934 Posts
stevedelegard said:
Remember Maggies
have it down low - you might not even need the torque multiplication of an aftermarket converter
I dropped 3 tenths off of my ET's with my 3200.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I'm running a Vig 2800 too. It's great for street use and I drive 40 minutes back and forth to work every day. It's not the best setup for the drag strip but you will still get some decent launches with it. And I agree, the Vig is under rated. It runs upwards of 3000 when I load it at the tree.

·
Ecc 10:2
725 Posts
Magnified said:
Okay folks, tell me your experiences with a converter on your daily driver (or your once in a while driver). I'm trying to decide how high to go and want to get real world experiences from people who have installed them. I'm wanting to go fast and am willing to put up with some driveability deterioration, but there is a limit. The car must remain useable and somewhat civilized.

Thanks in advance,

LR
<>= Mileage dropped about 1 MPG around town. No change on highway.
I don't particularly "like" the less torquey feel and increased exhaust noise putting around town. Still.... pretty civilized.

++= My 60ft times dropped 0.25 - 0.30.
WOT response from a roll also improved dramatically.
RPM drop on upshifts was reduced, keeping the engine in it's power band.

My experience overall is very positive. It's a terrific mod for the drags.

ps; 3200 Fuddle.

·
woohoo got my license back
186 Posts
What converter should one get on a totally stock car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts