LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what exactly is a stall converter? what does it do? and how much does it cost/install prices? thanks

·
Old and rusty
65 Posts
try to picture two fans facing each other. One is off and the other is being driven by the motor. The one being driven blows air across the 2nd one which causes it to spin. Now, instead of air, they are in a closed case filled with a non-compressible oil. This is the basic conept of a stall converter. It's more complex then this but you get the idea. By varying the angle of the fan blades, you can control the fluid flow characteristics to get the desired results.

When a converter "locks up" the clutch plates on each fan are in contact with each other - now, power is directly connected to the drive train instead of through the fluid medium.

Hope this helps...

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see i think i get it so it helps with drivetrain loss?? is it more effective on a stick or auto?

·
Old and rusty
65 Posts
this is what makes the auto work. the 2nd "fan" drives the transmission, which in turn drives the wheels

sticks have a manual clutch...no stall converter needed

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i see some people talking about driveability issues. is this something to be worried about? like what kind of issues are they? traction? thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts