LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did It this week,I installed my MTI camshaft 224/581 220/581 LSA116.Install didn't take much time exept for the major problem with the crank pulley bolt.Taking the bolt out should have been easy if the threads didn't come out with it.$250 worth of drill bits,heli coils,taps and bolts later the threads in the crank are now fixed and stronger than new.Without that problem the install of cam and valvesprings would have taken about 4hrs start to finish.I'll see how it runs tomorrow after I cycle the valvesprings a few times.Feels very strong up to 4000rpm where the power just begins to get real strong.I only raised the Idle to 900rpm and got rid of false missfire codes.Tomorrow It should see 6600-6800 pulls to see how it really does.Then it's time for a real tune now that my mods are complete for at least a year.
Anthony

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Can't wait to see/hear it tomorrow. Congrats on finishing it. You are going to put me in the doghouse with this car... :eek2: :drink: :drink:

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someones got to do it.Thats ok, remember I'm the guinnea pig here

·
4,658 Posts
True. But for the most part, that's a proven cam. Just you are first to run it a GTO. So how does it idle? Can you even tell?

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh,you can tell from the shake but not the note.Car rocks like a baby.I think its all in tuning though.Got to spend some time.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Let us know

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Did you post on LS1tech about the Crank pulley bolt? someone with an GTO did, these pulley bolts are becoming a problem more often now it seams.

Now did the threads gall on you when you were removing the bolt or when you were installing the balancer?

MTI Stealth II cams are awsome! Can't wait to hear results. Some people like the lope like I did with my first car putting in a 230* .510" 112* LSA stock 350 :) It was cool then but now I like the sleeper set up.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GMH GTO said:
Did you post on LS1tech about the Crank pulley bolt? someone with an GTO did, these pulley bolts are becoming a problem more often now it seams.

Now did the threads gall on you when you were removing the bolt or when you were installing the balancer?

MTI Stealth II cams are awsome! Can't wait to hear results. Some people like the lope like I did with my first car putting in a 230* .510" 112* LSA stock 350 :) It was cool then but now I like the sleeper set up.
I was in on that thread but not the original post.I don't know exacty how the threads god f***** up but the bolt never went in and torqued as good as with the insert in place

It lopes a little but I want to tune it out.I'm like you,I want a sleeper

I beat the car pretty good today but short shifting at 6200 and it is extremly strong.Can't wait to shift 6600-6800.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I raised my limiter to 6800 and pulls hard right to the shift and I can imagine right past.The power band is a little higher than I expected but it still has all the power down low just didn't gain any down low.At about 4500 it feels and sounds like you hit a nitrous button so I think It's gonna be hard to make people believe it's a stocker.Still have a lot of tuning ahead and little time but it runs good enough for now.Overall this is the cam for people who want as close to stock sound,huge power for cam only and no tuning if that's the route you choose.Heads will be next year,I spent enough this go around.My son is starting to comlpain he's hungry and needs shoes.

Anthony

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
So you didn't have to do any drilling to remove the crank bolt? It just didn't want to be installed?

Any dyno numbers yet?

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GMH GTO said:
So you didn't have to do any drilling to remove the crank bolt? It just didn't want to be installed?

Any dyno numbers yet?

No,at first it just wouldn't come out,I put my 1/2" ingersol titanium gun on there and just kept it spinning until it moved a little free,then I fabricated a little pry bar to get under the head of the bolt and pried as I spun it out with the gun.There would be no way of drilling it on center in the car for one, and the other was the way it was stuck, I don't thing an easy out or anything else would have helped.I work with idiots everyday that put me in these situations all the time so I just went at it and heli coiled it and thats done.Those damn helicoils though,I was looking forward to a stroker kit.Maybee next year.

No dyno yet.It seems like most of you guys on this board have a dyno up your butt,I don't have one that readily availabe.Besides,I am only doing mods tried and true on F-bodies so then when I'm done I will do a good dyno tune,Not to waste any more of my money.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey moderators,I just realized what an idiot I am.Can you move this thread to engine tech and remove this mesage please?

·
4,658 Posts
That cam works/sounds very nice. Can't really tell its in there. There is a hint of it at the engine but you really have to be paying attention to it. On the road, you can't tell. At least with me following the car.

As far as performance. We did a quick roll on in 1st and 2nd. He easily had a car on me when we shut it down but was really starting to move though. I'd say he'd easily would have pulled 3-4 more cars if we would have stayed into it, maybe more.

Very impressed, especially with no tuning :thumbs:

·
Registered
23 Posts
bone, do you work on cars for a living? i am in Northern VA, and I don't have time/tools to do these types of mods and I'm looking for a local shop that can install and tune... any ideas?

(nice work on the cams, sux about the crank bolt, what the hell!)

Bone said:
Hey moderators,I just realized what an idiot I am.Can you move this thread to engine tech and remove this mesage please?

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes,I work on cars and medium duty trucks for a living.I do these things at my home and wouldn't do it for anyone who wasn't willing to help or take part at least.I just don't want the liability.Now if you just wanted to come up and make a day of it we could work things out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bone said:
Well I did It this week,I installed my MTI camshaft 224/581 220/581 LSA116.Install didn't take much time exept for the major problem with the crank pulley bolt.Taking the bolt out should have been easy if the threads didn't come out with it.$250 worth of drill bits,heli coils,taps and bolts later the threads in the crank are now fixed and stronger than new.Without that problem the install of cam and valvesprings would have taken about 4hrs start to finish.I'll see how it runs tomorrow after I cycle the valvesprings a few times.Feels very strong up to 4000rpm where the power just begins to get real strong.I only raised the Idle to 900rpm and got rid of false missfire codes.Tomorrow It should see 6600-6800 pulls to see how it really does.Then it's time for a real tune now that my mods are complete for at least a year.
Anthony
Don't you have to remove the heads for a cam install? I'm not a tech but 4 hours start to finish sounds like you have done many.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No heads removed,Just need the right tools.When I say start to finish that means IF I didn't take a beer break or have to entertain my son etc.. 4hrs is a half a days work,thats a long time.It's really an easy job overall,Believe it or not I found that seperating the radiator from the condenser was the hardest part of the job.If I were to do it again I would discharge the a/c and remove them together and just recharge the system when done.I do miss the old small blocks though,I could do them blindfolded,these LS1s are kind of a pita.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bone said:
No heads removed,Just need the right tools.When I say start to finish that means IF I didn't take a beer break or have to entertain my son etc.. 4hrs is a half a days work,thats a long time.It's really an easy job overall,Believe it or not I found that seperating the radiator from the condenser was the hardest part of the job.If I were to do it again I would discharge the a/c and remove them together and just recharge the system when done.I do miss the old small blocks though,I could do them blindfolded,these LS1s are kind of a pita.
for me the older small blocks a pita. my buddy pulled the condensor with the radiator with his and was much easier, so are you going to self tune your cam? im interested in one of the sstealth cams. i like the stealth idea :secret:

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think as we get older there is less need for lope and more need for stealth.For the little gain seen with larger cams over this cam its just not worth it in my opinion.I am self tuning to a large degree,the only thing is PE fueling,need a dyno.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts