LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Beer Geek
3,738 Posts
Does it leak all the time? Or is it sporadic leaking? And if it does leak all the time, is there a noticeable spot on the pavement overnight?

ROK
I think I can field this one, I am, at 75k miles, about to get my rack replaced, again.

Starts as a real slow weep, just a dark spot. Progressive increase. By the time you have spots on the driveway you need to be watching your fluid resevoir daily. As long as you have plenty of fluid in the resevoir up top you are just making a mess in the driveway.

S

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
I think I can field this one, I am, at 75k miles, about to get my rack replaced, again.

Starts as a real slow weep, just a dark spot. Progressive increase. By the time you have spots on the driveway you need to be watching your fluid resevoir daily. As long as you have plenty of fluid in the resevoir up top you are just making a mess in the driveway.

S
Ahhhhhhh, just what I thought by looking at the leak area. It didn't look like it was a really serious leak, but a leak just the same.

Thanks "S"...

ROK

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Best thing to do is remove your outer boots to see if any fluid is in them. I changed out my stock rack for a Pedders fast ratio rack, and noticed what you see in the pics below. I wasn't happy. Only 25k miles, and that was what I found. No reason for it. Kinda glad I changed it out.

·
GTOless
7,011 Posts
that sucks, mine is doing the exact same thing. I feel if I go with a replacement rack it may just leak again and once I have the turbos on it will be a pain to change out. I could go with the pedders quick ratio rack but then I have to find a place to mount the cooler with the APS intercooler.... damn. I should just sell the car and buy a Z06. :wall:

·
Registered
883 Posts
I better check mine - think I saw something. Gota find the reservoir also.

Hey what's that big brass nut for - is there some adjustment to this rack ? There used to be an adjuster that looked just like that on old MGB racks.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
They all do this to some degree. The harder you drive, the more heat you develop, the wetter the rack will be. Some seepage around the 'plug' is no big deal. When they start dripping ala SWMN, that is a problem. Black Devil's fluid in the boots is a bigger problem. GM seems to be getting replacement racks from KYB which is an excellent company -- but not as good as PEDDERS :D

·
2006 GTO Owner
44 Posts
When I bought my torrid red 06 a few months ago the first thing I do the next day at work is put it on the lift and check it over. I was particularly looking for clearance between the struts/tires and any leaks.
What I found was a drop of fluid at the bottom of that nut where all the leaks occur on the rack. A single drop with a little dampness around it.
Keep in mind this i a brand new car with 50 miles on it granted it has sat on the lot awhile. Anyway I decide to let it ride and see what happens (what the hell I have a warranty).
After a month it leaks no more. I have no doubt it will return as it seems to be an ongoing problem with these cars. Hopefully it will still be under warranty when it does.
On a side note I gotta get it in to have the steering wheel spoke covers replaced, mine were messed up when I took delivery but I decided I would take it in later and let me salesman know that and I already knew there was a service bulletin on it.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
They all do this to some degree. The harder you drive, the more heat you develop, the wetter the rack will be. Some seepage around the 'plug' is no big deal. When they start dripping ala SWMN, that is a problem. Black Devil's fluid in the boots is a bigger problem. GM seems to be getting replacement racks from KYB which is an excellent company -- but not as good as PEDDERS :D
That is why mine is from Pedders. :eek:ldfogey:

·
Registered
181 Posts
06 GTO here, rack was leaking at 15k miles. They replaced it under warranty.

I had a full Pedders street 2 + extra goodies on it with a slightly aggressive alignment on the front end. Apparently the dealer had to do an alignment when they replaced the rack... Now the car drives like a damn boat... I guess that is what I get for not giving them a list of alignment parameters to set everything back to.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
06 GTO here, rack was leaking at 15k miles. They replaced it under warranty.

I had a full Pedders street 2 + extra goodies on it with a slightly aggressive alignment on the front end. Apparently the dealer had to do an alignment when they replaced the rack... Now the car drives like a damn boat... I guess that is what I get for not giving them a list of alignment parameters to set everything back to.
Get those agressive specs back so you can get back to enjoying your Goat! Can you post what your specs were vefore and after?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know this doesn't help, but I always had a PS rack drop that I noticed when changing my engine oil on the 2004 GTO.
Now I have a 2006 GTO with the same drop of PS oil in the same place on the rack. Both cars were stock and both leaks from day one.
Never a spot on the floor but more like a seep?
It sounds like a common theme here :confused:

·
got man pedal?
1,292 Posts
mine was leaking,just a little bit,from that big nut -showed in the first pic.i drained out the fluid about halfway or so in the res. and filled up with lucas power steering fluid from autozone.its thicker and has some stuff in it to help stop leaks.also quiets the steering pump.problem solved.its good stuff -i used it in my work van too,it was leaking all over-problem solved there aswell!

·
Registered
3 Posts
  1. Ive taken over my sons 06 GTO and making repairs that are typical, struts, shocks, brakes, et al. Now I find a small amount of power steering fluid on the rack and pinion but no spot on the concrete after sitting for a few years not being driven. Now with this car being 13 years old, what if anything are you doing about the rack and pinion?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts