LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the power steering rack and tie rod ends on my 2005 GTO. When I finished the install, the car's steering wheel felt good while suspended in the air. However, once I put the car down and tried steering while the car was not moving, and while moving, the steering wheel would shudder and shake whilst steering. It also locks up when trying to return to center.
I currently have long tubes on the car, and my thought is that the steering column may be hitting the long tubes, and that this could cause the binding in the steering.
My thought regarding the shudder is that because I haven't taken to get it properly aligned, it could be almost the tires stuttering on the ground?

Please let me know what your thoughts are, thanks.

·
Worthless reject member
54,282 Posts
you can get the alignment close with a tape measure. At least, close enough to rule out alignment as the source of the shudder. the rack might also just need fluid or the system needs the air cycled out. The steering shaft binding is also a possibility. you can adjust the rack position slightly, or perhaps you need new motor mounts.

also possible you have a bad rack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I continually filled the rack with fluid as it gulped it down, and the level is where it should be. I also turn the wheel all the way left and all the way right multiple times whilst in the air to try to push out air. Maybe I should do it more? I really am hoping the rack isn't bad, considering it felt fine in while suspended.

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,602 Posts
"
you can get the alignment close with a tape measure. At least, close enough to rule out alignment as the source of the shudder. the rack might also just need fluid or the system needs the air cycled out. The steering shaft binding is also a possibility. you can adjust the rack position slightly, or perhaps you need new motor mounts.

also possible you have a bad rack.
Without weight on the wheels testing in the air is pointless. A manual steering rack or steering gear will go lock to lock in the air with ease. Put that car on the ground and see what happens.

Make sure you have all the air out of the system.

Binding :IF you have Kooks Headers that may very well be the problem. If the motor mounts where OK prior to the rack swap, I doubt its the issue but its possible.

Rebuilt steering racks are always a crap shoot. I hate the [email protected]#$ing things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I have gotten rid of a majority of the shuddering and shaking that was coming from the steering wheel. However, I have a currently very nasty bind that happens. It occurs any time I make a sharp turn, or provide throttle or torque to the car. My steering wheel will just freeze and won't stop until I come off the gas. I'm not sure what could be causing this, I have a brand new power steering rack as well as outer tie rods and got the car aligned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I have gotten rid of a majority of the shuddering and shaking that was coming from the steering wheel. However, I have a currently very nasty bind that happens. It occurs any time I make a sharp turn, or provide throttle or torque to the car. My steering wheel will just freeze and won't stop until I come off the gas. I'm not sure what could be causing this, I have a brand new power steering rack as well as outer tie rods and got the car aligned.
Also, with the binding, I feel a noticeable locking or clunking sound BEHIND the steering wheel when it locks. It doesn't feel like there are any sounds coming from underneath the car around the steering rack, tie rods, or control arms.

·
Worthless reject member
54,282 Posts
that's exactly typical of the steering shaft binding on the headers. if they clear fine with the engine idling, your engine mounts are letting the engine move and the shaft is binding up on the header primaries.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For anyone curious or experiencing the same issue. It was just the steering shaft rubbing the headers. I eventually took out the headers and just bent them with a little bit of love.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts