LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just stopped in at circuit city and asked if there was a sound system that would allow me to keep the use of the contol buttons on the wheel. I was told no, but they could sell me one with a remote. Is this :bs: or what?

I have a 2006 and I live about half way between Philly and NYC. I've had other cars where I can receive stations from both cities clearly. The head unit in the GTO has trouble getting most stations and the one it can get keep fading in and out, is this normal? Does the stock stereo suck or is mine broke?

·
Blown By Maggie
2,443 Posts
frostking said:
So I just stopped in at circuit city and asked if there was a sound system that would allow me to keep the use of the contol buttons on the wheel. I was told no, but they could sell me one with a remote. Is this :bs: or what?

I have a 2006 and I live about half way between Philly and NYC. I've had other cars where I can receive stations from both cities clearly. The head unit in the GTO has trouble getting most stations and the one it can get keep fading in and out, is this normal? Does the stock stereo suck or is mine broke?
That's not true. PAC make a switch that works for alot of aftermarket stereo's. I have it on my kenwood and 95% of the functions on the remote for the stereo work on the steering wheel. Vol Up, Vol Down, Mute, Source, Seek Up, Track Up, Track Down, Disc Up/FM, Disc Down/AM.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Steering%20Wheel%20Interface

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
Do you have tint on the rear window? The radio antenna is embedded in the rear glass and tint can affect the reception. Metallic tint should be avoided for this reason, ceramic tint is preferable.

·
Premium Member
11,135 Posts
The stock antenna kinda sucks, due to it being in the rear glass, although it does have a signal amplifier. With pretty much any aftermarket deck, the steering wheel controls can be used, via an interface module. The module you need is based on the deck. If you get a deck with a port for an optional wired remote, like some sony's or pioneer's ( possibly others, i dont know), its a little easier. Other wise, there are universal IR transmitters you can use. the hard part is hiding the IR transmitter where it can be functional, but stealthy. Or you can just tape it to the deck face if stealth doesnt matter.

Heres a link to a brand ive used before, but not in the goat http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/steering.asp

there are other brands available as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
frostking said:

I have a 2006 and I live about half way between Philly and NYC. I've had other cars where I can receive stations from both cities clearly. The head unit in the GTO has trouble getting most stations and the one it can get keep fading in and out, is this normal? Does the stock stereo suck or is mine broke?[/QUOTE=holmz28]
i also have a 06 and i live in jersey mine also fades in and out on some stationseven on 93.3 wmmr it depends where im at i had a 04 montecarlo with a stock200 watt sound syst. which was pretty darn good some songs it almost sounded like i had subs in the car now now this stereo sounds flat if you find one that matches let me know:gears: :gears:

·
Registered
11 Posts
guys check out ls1.com.au yes this subject has been covered,you can get replacement head units to work with your steering controls,the problem you guys have its domestic car here, we have sorted all these problems out poineer alpine jvc sanyo ,even kits to remove double din to single

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
Flashpoint said:
Most people that do stereo installs at those places and never actually did anything in a GTO give incorrect information. They see pontiac = GM = same as any other GM stereo system. Which it is not. This one is totally different from those.

except you can retain steering controls on like every other GM vehicle too.

and yes, they are totally different...thank god.

·
Back In The Saddle Again
175 Posts
frostking said:

MDMike is right. Pac does have a unit called SWIX (I believ it stands for Steering Wheel Interface Exchange or something to that effect). He is also right that generally 95% of the functions are unseable. You can even remap the buttons to do any function you wish. I believe your headunit must have a remote for the SWIX to work.
Also if you goto a half way decent stereo shop & pick up a VW wire harness (VW because out headunits are European) it will plug right into the factory harness, which allows funtions like the lighting & the function where the stereo stays on until the key is removed even when not on ACC to work correctly.
For example I used the VW harness & when my lights come on my Kenwood KVT 717 screen automatically dims for night mode. Also the lights on my Audio Control Three.1 come on when my headlights are on. For example if I leave the head lights switch on Auto, when they come on at dusk the EA lights light up as well

·
Silver Blur
1,054 Posts
i just installed the pac"swi-x universal steering wheel control interface" in my 06 friday no problems all the funchions on the steering whel work no problems i have the alpine-9855.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1badgto said:
i just installed the pac"swi-x universal steering wheel control interface" in my 06 friday no problems all the funchions on the steering whel work no problems i have the alpine-9855.

What is the interface betwwen the PAC unit and the head unit. Does it use the IR remote receiver in the HU or is there a wired connection to the HU?

·
Silver Blur
1,054 Posts
frostking said:
What is the interface betwwen the PAC unit and the head unit. Does it use the IR remote receiver in the HU or is there a wired connection to the HU?
it uses a transponder to send the signal to the radio to switch the stations,"radio stations" volume

it needs to be in sight on the alpine,or whatever radio you have

1 - 12 of 12 Posts