LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My volume down button is having an identity crisis... it's turning the volume up a lot lately. None of the others are acting up. How strange... guess another thing to mention when I make a trip to the dealer soon.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
bengood24 said:
My volume down button is having an identity crisis... it's turning the volume up a lot lately. None of the others are acting up. How strange... guess another thing to mention when I make a trip to the dealer soon.
Gremlins. (not the car)
It happens to me too. Also the mute button. Good Luck getting that fixed but if you hear anything from the dealer let us know.

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I don't expect to get it fixed.

·
I used ta could
514 Posts
intermittent problem

when the steering wheel stereo controls problem arise:

mute = mute

volume up = mute

volume down = volume up

I guess it's an all or nothing kinda car, so far it goes away after turning the car off, but I suspect it will one day become fully mittent. In which case I shall have to pester the service manager.

:(

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
deadbug said:
...fully mittent...
I have nothing useful to contribute (which, naturally, has never stopped me before!) but this one deserved a KBA! My free Dunkin' Donuts iced caramel latte almost ended up all over my desk... :eek:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
I have nothing useful to contribute (which, naturally, has never stopped me before!) but this one deserved a KBA! My free Dunkin' Donuts iced caramel latte almost ended up all over my desk... :eek:
Fully mittent! ROFLMAO!
We can add steering wheel "control" to the list of oxymorons

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
LMAO!!! we need to be very very careful here.... this topic is doomed to having NOTHING to do with the original post if we focus on "Fully mittent!"

And God knows I want to! :D

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
I thought that was the original post!

OK, in fairness - I was personally surprised when I noticed that "Volume Down" while "Mute" was on resulted in lowering the volume (in the background, so to speak) but didn't disengage "Mute". I think that was pretty smart!

There! I kept this thread on-topic (well...)

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well for what it's worth my volume down got over its identity crisis and hasn't acted up in a few days (which probably means it will happen tomorrow morning lol).

·
Registered
202 Posts
okay because there is only 2 wires for GM to make all the functions work each control function has a diferent voltage, under the buttons is a circuit board which has a number of resistors capacitors and a transistor or 2 if you controls are playing up it can be cause by one of 2 things one of the cct boards is faulty (dry joint is my guess) or the assy between the wheel and the column is faulty, it doesnt use wipe contacts but uses a ribbon cable wrapped loosley around the center that undose and dose up as you spin the tiller. it takes less than 10 minutes to chang the buttons.

·
It's Here & It's Great
26 Posts
My Barbados Blue arrived July 20 and the radio controls on the steering wheel were not working. Dealership got them working somehow. Four days later they went wacky again...up was down, mute was up and then eventually they quit working altogether. Took car back to dealer for 600 mile oil change and had them look at the radio again. Turns out the problem is the connectors on the back of the radio that plug into the jack in the radio bracket. If the connectors are not "meshed" straight on when the radio is installed and the radio is pushed too hard the bracket gets bent which makes the connectors out of line causing weird behavior. They relaligned the connectors as best as they could and ordered a new radio bracket. Right now everything is working just fine since then. If they continue to work I may just keep the new bracket until I have another problem...installing the bracket entails removing some dash trim and I don't want to have to do that unless it's really necessary.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
My only problem with the steering wheel controls is that they seem far too sensitive - a slight bump and off to the next CD it goes.

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car must have known this thread got reawakened cause the volume down was turning it up again all day yesterday.... not doing it today though

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
phobos512 said:
My only problem with the steering wheel controls is that they seem far too sensitive - a slight bump and off to the next CD it goes.
hmmm mine does not move so easily...I just tap the volume or down....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine has to be something with the wire wrap in the wheel... the same time mine started, I noticed a sound from the wheel while turning left... a slight squeek like two pieces of rubber rubbing against eachother.

·
I used ta could
514 Posts
Lumina ss said:
okay because there is only 2 wires for GM to make all the functions work each control function has a diferent voltage, under the buttons is a circuit board which has a number of resistors capacitors and a transistor or 2 if you controls are playing up it can be cause by one of 2 things one of the cct boards is faulty (dry joint is my guess) or the assy between the wheel and the column is faulty, it doesnt use wipe contacts but uses a ribbon cable wrapped loosley around the center that undose and dose up as you spin the tiller. it takes less than 10 minutes to chang the buttons.
With that being said, and Fred's experience, are any of the three suspected causes more likely to start out with the controls performing correctly then developing an intermittent problem and finally just become full blown mittent?

Because mine has gotten to that point an it just means I have 4 different ways of turning up the volume. I ask because I haven't heard of any "official" reports on the cause or any TSBs, so , I would like to be able to send my service manager off in the right direction so as to minimize the amount of time it's in the shop and the associated stress levels. (my apologies for the runon sentence)

·
VR4NOMORE....GTO4ME
80 Posts
Crap, I mean you spend 30K for a car...damn me for expecting it to work. I'm having the same problem and have brought it to the dealers attention....they basically couldn't duplicate it so you guessed it....im stuck with it. I WILL get it on vidotape. I noticed it went away if I turned the steering wheel over a few times. The tech said that there are no wires in the steering wheel...it is a contact with dielectric silicone grease and that "since the car is new..the grease may be working itself in and it should go away" Translation....maybe they can get me to forget about it until my 3/36 expires. Not happening. This is rediculous. I had a VR4 for 10 years with wheel controls and never a problem. MAKE THEM FIX IT. I am.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts