LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my goat almost 3 years ago (with aftermarket wheels on the car) i noticed some slight wheel shake. After research i learned just how hard this is to cure. So i lived with it. Flash forward 6 months and i replaced the whole front end suspension with pedders and poly bushings. (Including radius rod) Car drove good, but got more a little more wheel shake. I figured this was because i made the suspension much more stiff. I had the tires re balanced and an alignment after. Now flashing forward to this summer. I was going to put 4 new tires on, so i made sure i measured and ordered new hub centric rings to bridge the gap between my aftermarket wheels and the stock hub. I found a perfect match. I bout 245/40/18 bridgestone potenza tires, they work great. I had them mounted and balanced by the best shop i could find, with roadforce balancing. (60 a tire) the wheel shake was much better after that! But they informed me i had 2 bent wheels and that is what is causing the shaking. No other shop ever informed me my wheels were bent. Either i needed a smarter tech to make that diagnosis, or the road force balancing was allowing them to see then bends. He fixed the bends for 90 a wheel and my goat drives incredible now, it feels like a new car again and im really happy with it.

long story short: if you have aluminum aftermarket wheels, they’re probably bent. The weight in conjunction with how we drive these cars will destroy aluminum wheels. Always start with the wheels when looking to solve wheel shake, have them road forced balanced, checked for bends, then start moving inwards. This problem is solvable!!!! It just may take years... 3

·
Worthless reject member
46,561 Posts
I think 9 times out of 10 wheel shake on GTO's is an issue with the tires, wheels, worn suspension parts, or alignment, in that order. It's why I always ask for my tires/wheels to be roadforce balanced. That should also show up any issues with the wheels not being true or a seperated belt in the tire.

Techs probably just did a basic balance and sent it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think 9 times out of 10 wheel shake on GTO's is an issue with the tires, wheels, worn suspension parts, or alignment, in that order. It's why I always ask for my tires/wheels to be roadforce balanced. That should also show up any issues with the wheels not being true or a seperated belt in the tire.

Techs probably just did a basic balance and sent it
Yeah its not as hard to find as some may think. If you know your balance and wheels and alignment are good. It can only be a couple of front end suspension components.

·
Is that FWD?
1,202 Posts
I have had 4 sets of RIMS on GTO, each time wheel shake was eliminated with metal hub rings.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm glad you found the problem. But, your problem was bent wheel specific, and road force balancing can ID those problems.
Fortunately, you haven't experienced the 65 MPH shake yet. Thats almost incurable and an on going problem with few answers. Thats where I thought this post was headed when I first started it. Anyway, I'm happy for you.

·
Is that FWD?
1,202 Posts
I had the 65mph shake on 2 sets of rims. Metal hub rings fixed it both times. I ordered a new set of metal hub rims each time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts