LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my intake manifold gasket and was looking for a step by step guide ,now ive done a few in the past on a 87 camaro and and 80 camaro and seeing this is my first time changing one on a new engine i dont want to learn the hardway like i did on the First 80 camaro when i pulled the distributor not keeping track of the firing order or poistion it was in and i ended up spending an entire day trying to fix it .. i mean it seems like this should be a simple job but id rather have instructions

·
Registered
921 Posts
For starters, ive never done but am about to. I’d imagine I would:

disconnect the fuel line
Any wires - MAP sensor, TPS, etc
Remove the intake
Cover intake ports while you replace the gaskets on intake
Do any cleaning you feel is necessary
Replace everything and go

*timing will what it is before and after
*prime the fuel system before startup
*maybe 30 mins comfortably

·
Registered
557 Posts
why do you want to change them? are the leaking?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
woah, why?
the inside of the manifold is coated with greese so i wanted to clean it and i also wanted to inspect the whole manifold for cracks becuase i am wondering if my issues can also be related to a crack in the mani or a vac leak possibly coming from the manifold gasket and also figured it wouldnt hurt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the inside of the manifold is coated with greese so i wanted to clean it and i also wanted to inspect the whole manifold for cracks becuase i am wondering if my issues can also be related to a crack in the mani or a vac leak possibly coming from the manifold gasket and also figured it wouldnt hurt
grease not greese excuse my :poop: spelling lol

·
Worthless reject member
40,771 Posts

Well, the only rocket science about it is torquing the intake manifold bolts. The pattern is in the service manual, and the 1st pass is something like 44 INCH pounds, the second is 89 INCH pounds. Not foot, but INCH lbs. They don't take much torque to seal. Overtorque it and you risk busting the manifold.

The gaskets themselves are just orings that fit inside grooves on the intake manifold. There should be a small circle by each groove that you can stick a pick or something skinny to catch the old oring and pull it out. The new one just fits in the groove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts