LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, back in again for more work. We are putting 3way component Focal's in the front doors and working up a dash mount for my Zune.

When we did the install the first time around, I ran out of money to finish up the doors like I wanted. Well, it's eaten at me long enough and those MB Quart Q series just don't have the ballz I'd hoped they did. So this time, we are going all out on the doors.

Yesterday was day one. Most of the work was tear down, planning, making the door molds, sourcing the suede for the doors and wiring. I only snapped one pic of the door mold since most of the work today was already documented. I'll post a set of pics after tonights visit, I expect the doors to be coming togather by tonight.

Scott, my installer, may save the door molds if theres interest in the area.

New door mold

Origional install:
http://groups.msn.com/RaffertyHouse/stereo.msnw

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks like its gonna be really cool.. Keep the pics coming. I curious to see how its gonna turn out. What kind of setup are you putting in? I take it you're gonna lose the spare? I was thinking about doing the same thing..

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Are the wood boxes going in as subwoofer enclosures in the sides? Looks good, I'd do the same myself...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 2 pics

The enclosures go in the rear side walls and will contain the subs. You can see the side panels as well. the pieces being fit in are for the grill covers. The grills will be see thru and there will be led lights behind them to illuminate the speakers just behind the grills.

·
Looking to buy...
226 Posts
wow that is going to be one hot system. Wish I had the cash to drop for something like that.I looked at all the pics and I'm still having a hard time visualizing how the 10's are going to fit in. It was also interesting to see how heavy the cage around the gas tank appears. Is that thing made out of steel? Once again cool system. :hail:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, The 10's will be behind the trim, IE you can't touch the speaker. You will look down at them through the grill.

The cage around the tank is steel and very solid. it looks like it's for torsion (sp?) as well as to protect the tank in case of rear collision.

USNGTO, I sent you a PM a while back. Feel free to PM me and maybe we can hook up after its done ;)

·
Looking to buy...
226 Posts
josephra said:
thanks, The 10's will be behind the trim, IE you can't touch the speaker. You will look down at them through the grill.

The cage around the tank is steel and very solid. it looks like it's for torsion (sp?) as well as to protect the tank in case of rear collision.

USNGTO, I sent you a PM a while back. Feel free to PM me and maybe we can hook up after its done ;)
I don't think I got the PM yet. Are you in my area? I'd love to check out your system. :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
josephra, i'm still confused about your sub enclosures. Are the fiberglass/mdf boxes going behind the rear side panels? or will the boxes be showing? If either of those are right then I never would have guessed the amount of room behind those rear side panels.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mike1421 said:
josephra, i'm still confused about your sub enclosures. Are the fiberglass/mdf boxes going behind the rear side panels? or will the boxes be showing? If either of those are right then I never would have guessed the amount of room behind those rear side panels.

The subs enclosures go behind the interior trim pieces. Where the armrest is/was will be replaced with a frabricated see thru grill. There is a huge space in there; depending on the effiency of the sub used, you could potentially get 12's in there. :eek2:

I have a few pics from today. Not much new to really look at. Scott (the installer) got the front speakers in the doors and the tweeters in the factory locations. Turns out you can remove the plastic trim on the dash that runs the length of the windshield, you'll find the factory tweeters in the far corners and angled straight to the front seats, no reflection off the windshield. We were particularly pleased about that. Scott also got a lot of wire run and I didn't take any photos of that. I did take a shot of the two head units sitting side by side. The factory mounting bracket from the blaupunkt fit perfectly on the double DIN kenwood. Will have to fab a trim piece to cover the gap.

The site is updated w/ all pics if you care to browse, my wife comes up w/ interesting names for everything though :)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
josephra - First off, thanks for all the pictures. They are very cool. Very informative.

2nd, could you discuss your Dynomat'ting plan? As in, what's being put where, types, etc? Assuming you have given it thought that is. Thanks!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
day 4

phobos512 said:
josephra - First off, thanks for all the pictures. They are very cool. Very informative.

2nd, could you discuss your Dynomat'ting plan? As in, what's being put where, types, etc? Assuming you have given it thought that is. Thanks!

Well, it's my pleasure to post the pics. I was hoping folks would find the pics of the car stripped down both interesting and usefull.

Re: dynamatting... Scott is very impressed w/ the quality of parts and engineering in the GTO. He believes he won't have to dynamat the panels because they are so thick and use metal clips. I considered doing everything to soften the road noise, but there really isn't much of that to begin with and you'd be suprised how much sound deadening there is from factory.

He'll likely put a small piece behind the enclosures to keep them from squeeking against the body. If it turns out we need to, we'll put it where it needs to go. I'm not sure how thick we'll need it to be, but will leave that to Scott. If we do, I'll let you know.

I've got some fresh pics of today. Do note, in the enclosuree pics they aren't fastened and were just sitting in plae. they will sit a bit farther in once mounted. Scott is also working on the trunk display and has some cool ideas for waterfalling fiberglass from the floor down to the amps. I won't try to explain it any more than that, you'll just have to see the final pics to understand.

I'm flying out of town till Sunday, so I won't get any more pic's until it's done. When I get back, I'm going to finally get to see it complete. Scott said he has a few more suprises for me, kinna like on "Pimp my ride" :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its Sunday, how did your car turn out? How about some pics?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the interface with the steering controls works, please post the kit number. I am going to try and use the stock system with an Audio Control EQS and speaker level inputs. I am not optimistic on success, but thought I would give it a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts