LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
driving really slow...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the stock HU with the aux-in mod, as well as an alpine amp and a 10" sub in the rear. I pulled out the sub and amp this morning, being careful to remove the power fuse then covering the remote on wire with electrical tape. (taking to body shop to repair damage to bumper from someone running into me, don't need that stuff in there to get stolen)

As soon as I got in afterward I noticed something wasn't right with the HU. When I started the car, it wouldn't come on by hitting any of the function buttons, I had to hit power then change function. Didn't think much of it, kept going. Eventually, the condition changed. It is now stuck "on". I can turn it off by hitting off, but shutting the car off and pulling the key changes nothing. The display is always lit like it's powered up. No key and car locked/passive alarm enabled, I can play the radio.

I checked the remote power on wire, and it's not getting power in ign/run anymore. I have it hardwired to the yellow cellphone/aux wire in the console. The interior fuse for radio/cell is good. Another thing, probably a symptom rather than problem, the security light on the radio never blinks now. Same as when the stereo has power/car is on/running.

Any ideas? I searched and found nothing. In the mean time, I've pulled the battery to keep it from dying by powering the stereo.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Riceman said:
I've got the stock HU with the aux-in mod, as well as an alpine amp and a 10" sub in the rear. I pulled out the sub and amp this morning, being careful to remove the power fuse then covering the remote on wire with electrical tape. (taking to body shop to repair damage to bumper from someone running into me, don't need that stuff in there to get stolen)

As soon as I got in afterward I noticed something wasn't right with the HU. When I started the car, it wouldn't come on by hitting any of the function buttons, I had to hit power then change function. Didn't think much of it, kept going. Eventually, the condition changed. It is now stuck "on". I can turn it off by hitting off, but shutting the car off and pulling the key changes nothing. The display is always lit like it's powered up. No key and car locked/passive alarm enabled, I can play the radio.

I checked the remote power on wire, and it's not getting power in ign/run anymore. I have it hardwired to the yellow cellphone/aux wire in the console. The interior fuse for radio/cell is good. Another thing, probably a symptom rather than problem, the security light on the radio never blinks now. Same as when the stereo has power/car is on/running.

Any ideas? I searched and found nothing. In the mean time, I've pulled the battery to keep it from dying by powering the stereo.

This is obvious but I'd make the body shop aware of the problem immediately. I can see this becoming one of those "we worked on the bumper, not the stereo, so there's no way this can be our fault" issues. Keep an eye out for other electrical problems as well in case the body shop damaged a harness or rearranged some wiring. You might also try disconnecting the battery to see if the radio resets. Frequently body shops disconnect the battery in their process; maybe the radio took a little voltage spike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Which aux in mod did you install? The one where you solder two wires on the circuit board or the "Phreddy Mod"

·
driving really slow...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car hasn't yet made it to the body shop or I'd be point fingers already :)

I did the solder in mod. I'd think that might cause it, but audio quality is still excellent, cd's play, fm plays, radio works.. It's just these other strange anomolies.

·
driving really slow...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it. There are 2 fuses in the interior panel marked radio/cell. I checked one, didn't even see the other since I found one and didn't think there would be 2. The 7.5A was blown, replaced and problem solved. I was careful to remove the remote power on wire, and it only powers when ign is on and by that time I had it taped. I have no idea how it happened, but it did. So, if you ever have your radio "stuck" like that, now you know why :tu:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts