LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
04 LPE SuperCharged Goat
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stering wheel shakes when I brake but only when I brake, does anyone know why this would be?

·
Registered
102 Posts
That sounds like the usual symptom of warped rotors. GM is notorious for warped front rotors.

Shawn

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
They definitely are.... I had a Camaro that the rotors were warped in by 7000 miles. The next car I had (Audi) for 34000 miles and those never warped.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a Honda Si and the front rotors warped at about 4,000 miles. Im not sure if its covered under the warranty though. You may want to call your dealership to see if you can get them or it replaced.

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
Yeah if it's under 12000 miles they should do it. Anything beyond that they tend to say normal wear and tear... even if it's absolutely ridiculous for rotors to warp at 12000 miles.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
yep warped front rotors, could be from improper or over torquing lug nuts. Holden rotors arn't too bad though, i've never seen an Audi rotor warp i'll second that I worked in an audi shop for for a year.

I think it comes down to the quality of metal used, GM drum brakes are warped from day 1.

They should warranty front rotors but they could try resurfacing them.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
GMH GTO said:
yep warped front rotors, could be from improper or over torquing lug nuts. Holden rotors arn't too bad though, i've never seen an Audi rotor warp i'll second that I worked in an audi shop for for a year.

I think it comes down to the quality of metal used, GM drum brakes are warped from day 1.

Spot ON! I have found though, that once warped from hard duty, cutting only lets them warp again sooner. Maybe a good after market replacement might be indicated? I had to go to a major aftermarket rotor on all my GM's...

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
My GTO does this too. Damn this sucks. I am getting the symptoms checked out on thursday. My gto is one of the first to come here and sat on the lot through a winter (I assume), wonder if that has something to do with it?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Old Goat said:
Spot ON! I have found though, that once warped from hard duty, cutting only lets them warp again sooner. Maybe a good after market replacement might be indicated? I had to go to a major aftermarket rotor on all my GM's...
Absolutely. I had bad rotors on my Alero, as apparently did every other Alero/GrandAm/Malubu owner. I saw a TSB on it which stated it was a runout/torque issue, and NOT to resurface the rotors, but to replace them.
Rotor quality is to a great degree related to how long they are left in the molds after they are poured, and this is directly related to production cost. High end rotors are left to cool slowly for several hours, or even overnight. The Chinese cheapies and OEM low bidders send them down the line for machining while they're still glowing.

·
Stangar
344 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Get tough. Don't let them resurface make them replace the rotors. If they are resurfaced there is just that much less material available and they will warp in even less mileage next time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts