LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading quite a bit here I'm seeing a significant numer of M6 issues, with the clutch, reverse, and rubbery shifts. At the same time it seems like the A4 isn't perfect either!

For a potential new GTO buyer, any recommendations? I had a Mustang 5.0 with a 5 speed that I loved, but now have a Durango with the auto which is convenient.

The way I see it having a M6 adds to the driving experience and controllability of the car, but can be a pain in traffic.

Having an auto takes away some of the pleasure of manual shifting, but is really handy when you're trying to drink a cup of joe in the morning or in traffic.

Recommendations here?

Incidentially which would be faster in the quarter mile? I've heard it go both ways...

Love to hear Pro's / Cons and regrets if any from current GTO owners. Lastly with the '05 model I think the M6 is getting a new one form the Vette or is that the A4?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
I had a 5-speed in my WRX. It was very fun, but a pain in the traffic like you said.

The GTO is so comfortable and such a nice ride, I took the auto. WIth so much torque and power, there is little difference in times between the two.

BTW: 0-60 times on your durango is NUTS!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Tuning has changed my A4 for the better. I really like it now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
One of the first things I'm going to change is the part throttle shift map -- it shifts too early for my taste. Always seems like its laboring below 2k. Allowing it to hold a little more RPM between shifts at anything over about 12% throttle greatly improves the "responsiveness" and overall performance "feel" of the car. I've done several of these for people, and they SWEAR the car is faster when they get it back (even when, ultimately, its not) ;)

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Don't forget the "gas mileage penalty" with the auto. In the form of $1000 gas guzzler tax AND lower fuel economy. As far as drinking a cup a joe in the Goat...I don't drink coffee and I don't drink in the GTO so can't help ya there.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I'm one of the lucky ones whose M6 seems fine. (I had a "reverse lockout gate" issue that turned out to be "driver error.") Anyway, traffic around here isn't too bad, even during the morning commute, so I'm glad to have the M6. Way more fun (IMHO) that the automatic. On paper, the M6 is a tick faster in the 1/4, but with some simple TM changes in the tune, the A4 would beat the M6. NOBODY shifts THAT fast.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
despite the small problems i have had with my m6, i would NEVER change what i bought, and i live in the chicago area, so theres a lot of traffic, i love the maunal... SOOO much more fun!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Came to an M6 from a 98 GTP. The 2 major reasons for making change were M6 and rear wheel drive. If the M6 had not been available I'm not sure I would have made the switch.

I've only put ~300 miles on so no idea about problems, etc. although it has been difficult to get into reverse a couple of times.

It's a matter of preference. Strictly for drad racing I would've gotten the auto but for driving fun/pleasure, possibly auto-cross to me the manual is hands-down winner.

One of the most fun things about driving this one so far is the 'burble' I get from the exhaust when I back off of it while in gear...not do-able with auto and worth the price of admission...not to mention the substantial diff in highway mileage.

Bottom line is your preference though...which you like to drive best?

·
Mister Muscular
131 Posts
I like both hands and both feet to be involved in the driving experience (although I might one day consider a sequential manual without a clutch). I double-clutch and make complete use compression braking.

I drive at least two hours a day in solid traffic. I mean SOLID, even at 6 in the morning. The clutch on this car is incredibly smooth compared to any of the other cars I've owned, and the shifter is also "butter smooth" (this is a phrase I'm quoting from one of the numerous GTO reviews I've collected, but I don't remember which one). 6,000 miles on it and no shifting issues of any kind. It's a pleasure.

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Well there is at least twoce as many TSB's on Autos than there are manuals, if you want the exact count I'll post it up lol.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for your input. Most of the GTO's on sale around here are listed by an inventory search n GMBuy power are autos. I live in Sillicon Valley N. California and there's lots of traffic here. Luckily my commute is short but that could change.

Getting a house in AZ, about 30 miles outside of Phoenix in December and I might have to move there. (Wife's already there for her job). If I can get a job in Phoenix, the drive would be about 40 miles each way so considering an auto has to be part of the equation.

Really appreciate the input here.

5point7, yeah I've modded my Durango so for an SUV it's pretty quick. Also because it's a sport model and RWD, it's lighter and quicker. To be fair I got this number with no spare on, 1/4 tank of gas, on a cool morning. Basically optimum conditions. But I can consistantly hit 60 MPH under 7 seconds, with the spare on a hot day, with a full tank of gas. Again for an SUV it's not bad. Gas mileage is horrible though for a small v8 (4.7L) averaging 12-13 around town. Ahhh well, I'm a bit heavy footed as well. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't get how autos can be faster than some manuals with some small mods. Autos "rob" HP. Guess it's one of the better autos out there since I have no first hand experience. Also, if you are gonna do extensive work to it and looking for big power, I would go with the manual because there are a lot less parts to break/replace/build-up. If not, and what people are saying is true, I would opt for the auto. Sure they might be fun, but you'll be glad you opted for the auto during the rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
523 Posts
alextaylor29 said:
Reading quite a bit here I'm seeing a significant numer of M6 issues, with the clutch, reverse, and rubbery shifts. At the same time it seems like the A4 isn't perfect either!

For a potential new GTO buyer, any recommendations? I had a Mustang 5.0 with a 5 speed that I loved, but now have a Durango with the auto which is convenient.

The way I see it having a M6 adds to the driving experience and controllability of the car, but can be a pain in traffic.

Having an auto takes away some of the pleasure of manual shifting, but is really handy when you're trying to drink a cup of joe in the morning or in traffic.

Recommendations here?

Incidentially which would be faster in the quarter mile? I've heard it go both ways...

Love to hear Pro's / Cons and regrets if any from current GTO owners. Lastly with the '05 model I think the M6 is getting a new one form the Vette or is that the A4?

Anyway, thanks in advance.
Alex, your inquiry pretty much covers the pros and cons.

Like Florit, I had a "reverse lockout gate" issue, but that turned out to be "Dealership Tech error," together with an unwillingness on his part to entertain the idea that after 6 months' ownership, I might have at least a vague idea how the shifter is supposed to work. Specifically, when he re-torqued the pressure plate bolts, he didn't get "Pin A of Circuit 587, Shift Control Solenoid PCM Control" properly seated when he put the thing back together.

None of the problems, M6 or A4, have been insurmountable. You probably have a gut feel for what is right for you. So, whatever it is, go with it and enjoy the GTO!

We certainly need to have a few more on the road here in the Phoenix area. I've seen only two, one of which is the current ride of a client of my firm, an engineer at GM's Mesa proving grounds. He "signed" my parking lot yesterday with a Quicksilver/Black/M6. Two months ago, he was driving a C-6 Vette. Does he have a great job or what?!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
No A4 tranny problems here and I manualy shift alot

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone great feedback.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
when i went in for a test drive i could only drive an A4 b/c thats all they had.(i wanted to drive an M6) it was ok. but the experience of driving the GTO is so much more fulfililng with an M6. IMO. which is why i wanted an M6 from the beginning.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Its amazing what you can do to an A4 with software adjustments

·
Registered
262 Posts
An automatic can easily be faster than an M6, with the addition of a higher stall speed torque converter. An automatic has a couple advantages the manuals DO NOT have -- 1. shift speed and 2. torque multiplication. With the stock converter, which stalls around 1800 in this car, you won't go anywhere too quickly.. BUT stick a 3200 or higher stall speed converter in the car, and you immediately drop a half second or more from your 1/4 mile time! How you may ask? Simple -- you trade engine RPM for torque. The higher stall converter allows you to not only launch with the engine further into its powerband, but it trades the extra launch RPM for more torque into the transmission which will launch the car MUCH harder than a six speed car can.

Its pretty hard to explain in text to where you'll really understand -- you need to drive a car with a performance converter in it, and you'll be sold. :)

BUT .. I still love my M6 cars :) My Formula is a stick, but I wanted to be lazy and get the GTO in an A4 ..

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
Brains said:
Its pretty hard to explain in text to where you'll really understand -- you need to drive a car with a performance converter in it, and you'll be sold. :)
I LOVE big stall TCs. It's the key ingredient in my 11-second C5 recipe. I drove both M6 and A4 GTOs, the wheelhop on powershifts is the only thing that turned me off to the manual. I will have my car back to stock this week and hopefully will be in an A4 GTO within the next 10 days or so :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Tuff choice for me.... my vette had a m6 and grew tired of it. Work never stops calling me and I drink coffee on way to work. However, M6 can be a blast. If you do an exaust system there is nothing cooler sounding than downshifting and hearing the gurgles and pops.....which, you can do with either but again more fun with M6.

Some days wish I had a M6 other days I'm glad I have a A4.

Why the hell did I post? I'm no help.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts