LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some times after a long drive I notice that it's kind of hard to shift gears. Does that indicates bad tranny oil?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wretched 6.0 said:
Check your clutch fluid level, and Trans fluid level and make sure they are good. Most likely they will be fine. Could be not broken in yet, how many miles.

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
How does the clutch pedal feel when this happens? Does the pedal feel softer, engagement closer to the floor, more free play up top? If so you may need to flush out the clutch fluid, this is a common issue.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fox Mulder said:
How does the clutch pedal feel when this happens? Does the pedal feel softer, engagement closer to the floor, more free play up top? If so you may need to flush out the clutch fluid, this is a common issue.
I haven't noticed anything strange with the clutch. It's happened about 3 times now that while it's idling at a red light and i try to shift it in 1st the stick feels rough and it takes some effort to engage first gear (it just doesn't feel as smooth as it usually is)

·
What??? Next!!!
50 Posts
I have also been experiencing this also. I had heard about flushing the clutch master&slave cylinder with new fluid, haven't done it yet. I have approx. 2850 mi.:gears:

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
On mine the clutch was not fully disengaging, leaving the first gear synchronizer to fight the thing into gear...that will give higher shifter effort. Lots of assembly grease and gunk in my factory clutch fluid. Flushing this out made a night and day difference. Dealer will not usually cover this under warranty, but a good service advisor may throw it in if you do your oil changes there or bought the car from them as a customer care thing.. A TSB exists about the black and gunky fluid leading to cust complaints, but says the problem is not a problem.

·
4 Doors?
1,196 Posts
It means its time to buy a GMM ripshift. The stock one sucks anyway.

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
the stock shifter is fine.. do you make a cut on the shifters that get sold? the t56 is a real transmission. it is a bit harsh in some aspects, but makes up for it in hardiness. mine is absolutely deafening in whine at under 10mph. but i can rip the tires off at 45mph around a corner and it begs for more. just try putting it in second first, and get it into gear a bit earlier, or let the clutch out slightly. the synchros are a bit beefier than on an average car, and as such need some motion to align properly. ever drive a diesel? this car is not a cobalt. it's made for a purpose. hauling butt. so enjoy the drive, and put up with the stops. (imho, no flame wars here)

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
as far as the darn thing not getting into gear at a stop light, the shifter is not the culprit. let's keep the thread on track.

·
3,777 Posts
2kformula said:
It means its time to buy a GMM ripshift. The stock one sucks anyway.
No it doesn't. If it works at times smoothly, and it doesnt at others, that points to clutch disengagement or synchronizer drama, and in an unabused, 2600 mile 06, I will put my money on the fact that the clutches in GTOs do not disengage well at times.
Disengagement check: Gently apply pressure to go into first gear idleing in 1st with the clutch out. NOT HARD enough to force into gear, but to feel the gear hit the syncro. You should, on level ground feel the car try to move forward and the rpm drop a touch. That is the synchro trying to match the shaft rpms.
Now, remember that feeling. Next time you are having the "go into 1st trouble" see if it is the same feel, with a little forward roll or rpm drop.
If rpm drop when attempting to gently push it on into gear, your clutch is not fully releasing.
GMM is a nice direct racing shifter, but will not do doodly squat for the problem she describes.
Plenty of hardcore M6 drivers in the 1.7s on 60 foot times and 11 sec 1/4 mile drags and road racing on the stock shifter. It ain't nearly as forgiving as the GMM, but stocker is quieter and does reward skilled use just fine. Lots of guys miss a couple shifts and declare the stock shifter as "junk" and buy a GMM to compensate.

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
+1 swampgoat, on the post and the toe in the photo.. apart from the rattle in my shift knob, i am completely happy with the performance of the stock unit. if i want a short throw, i'll drive my girlfriend's miata:stickpoke

·
3,777 Posts
BTW, mine has done the problem she describes for the entire time I have owned it, and with 100+ track passes and road race too. 24k miles on a well beaten car with factory clutch still fine. Flushing the fluid helped, but as above noted, while I was typing, row it to second, and she will slide right into first.
whatsaholden said:
+1 swampgoat, on the post and the toe in the photo..
Thank you. I detest people pimping uneeded mods for whatever reason.

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
RemoteControlD said:
Some times after a long drive I notice that it's kind of hard to shift gears. Does that indicates bad tranny oil?
Have your dealer replace the Dexron III with Dexron VI in the transmission (it was suppose to have Dexron VI from the factory but many didn't) . Also have them flush/bleed the clutch hydraulics.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2006/whats new/06 man trans/06 _PWT_Tremec T56 (MM6).pdf

GM Introduces New Automatic Transmission Fluid For 2006 Cars and Trucks

* New factory-fill fluid standard in all 2006 MY Hydra-Matic transmissions
* Significantly improved viscosity, shift performance and fluid durability
* Available through GM Vehicle Care products as DEXRON®-VI
* Approved for service application on all prior model year Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions

Pontiac, Mich. - GM, in conjunction with Petro-Canada and Afton Chemical Corporation, have developed a new, improved automatic transmission fluid for all 2006 model year Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions. Developed for factory-fill as RDL-3434 and registered for service fill as DEXRON®-VI, the new fluid represents a significant improvement in automatic transmission fluids and is the direct result of GM's industry leadership in the development and production of automatic transmissions.

"For 65 years, GM has led in the design, development and production of automatic transmissions," says Tom Stephens, group vice president for GM Powertrain. "This knowledge and experience has helped us work directly with the petroleum industry to develop a new fluid that will further accentuate the performance and reliability of GM's Hydra-Matic transmissions."

Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is considered the life-blood of the automatic transmission. It is used to transfer power in the torque converter and provide the pressure to apply the transmission's various clutches and bands. It also is used to clean, lubricate and cool the components of the transmission. GM's new transmission fluid, DEXRON®-VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time.

Beginning with the design and development of GM's new Hydra-Matic 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions, GM Powertrain engineers determined the need for a new transmission fluid to withstand the complexity of the clutch-to-clutch transmission operation. Additionally, GM engineers identified opportunities to improve viscosity, durability, and impact on fuel economy with a new fluid.

"The development of DEXRON®-VI is the first time an automotive company has worked so closely with petroleum and additive companies to develop a new fluid," says Roy Fewkes, driveline fluids group leader, GM Powertrain. "The result is a new fluid that significantly outperforms existing fluids in every aspect. In fact, we have had to significantly extend the length of our durability tests to fully test the fluid's capability."

Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON®-VI to deliver more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids. It also has demonstrated superior performance in pitting, foaming, oxidation and shear stability tests.

GM will begin factory-fill of the new transmission fluid on April 4, starting with the new Hydra-Matic 6L80, produced at the Willow Run transmission facility in Ypsilanti, Mich.

DEXRON®-VI will be available through genuine GM Vehicle Care products at GM authorized dealerships and service centers in Summer 2005.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 324,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent and the second-highest total in the company's history. GM's global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

CONTACT(S):
Nick Richards
GM Powertrain
248-857-0163
[email protected]

·
4 Doors?
1,196 Posts
Thats fine you guys stick with the stock one. Me and all the other thousands will enjoy the GMM. Maybe I should put the stock one back in I didnt realize it was so great.

·
gotta love a gto
1,096 Posts
if this happens less than 5% of the time it is considered normal operation. if more than 5% of the time a repair is needed. not sure exactly what the repair is would have to research.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've noticed this as well,1st is a bit stubborn at times, But from driving trucks for many years it wasn't any thing new. I just slip her into 2nd and first will slide wright in afterwords!!!I'm planning on swapping oil in tranny with some ROYAL PURPLE blood soon any ways, and I'll take your guys's advice on cleaning out clutch fluid, This I'm sure will make the tranny work a lot less...Just waiting for her too break in, What do you guys think is a good mileage for tranny break-in period I got about 1500 on her know!!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
1st Gear Block out is not considered a TSB, however its considered a "Preliminary Document ID". Meaning GM won't consider it a bulliten to advise to dealers, however its one of those "heads-up" type things.

I've taken my car into the dealer's for months regarding the issue and over and over again they'd tell me the car ran fine, it operated like all GTO's do, nothing was wrong. Finally in the past 6 months, the dealers got blocked out of 1st gear NUMEROUS times and decided enough was enough, replaced 1st gear, synchros and some other misc. stuff. I'm very happy with 1st, i've only gotten blocked out 1 out of 20 times, as opposed to 1 out of 8 times a day.

Howver, I will agree that my car is awkward to downshift from 6th to 5th after i've been cruising on the freeway for a while, its almost like something gets stuck or gummed up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How do you bleed the clutch? I have had my car at the dealership 3 time in the 3 weeks that I've had it to get this fixed, to no avail. I am EXTREMEMLY wary about the tearing up the tranny if it needs not be torn up. Expecially after one of the service writers told me they broke something tearing up one of the 3 other GTOs that were there for the same t hing. If this is an easy DIY fix, I'm in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts