LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I am so pumped...Driving a buddies 03GT today when what should pull up beside us but an 04 GTO..red. Beautiful car. We both punched it at the same time and the GT had just enough in her to put a car length on the GTO up to 80 mph....

Paul

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Sure sounds like the weight advantage of the stang came into play. How's the gearing on the Ford compared to the Goat?

·
black/black/m6 in SF bay area
30 Posts
strange, i just had a small adventure of this kind and the GT became history very quickly. but you need to know how to use the clutch :)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
GTs are stock 260HP, Mach 1s are stock 302HP. There's absolutely no way this went down as stated by the original poster unless it was the first time someone had driven a manual. 0-60 on a GT is 5.7s. Even my AUTO GTO would beat it handily.

We have a hater on our hands, my friends. Batten down the hatches and oh, flame suits on.

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
368 Posts
hey i bet he did beat a gto it all depends on the driver because if it was an auto from a roll over 30 mph hes in 2nd if it was a stick the guy probably took to long to shift i walked away from an Lt-1 with all the bolt ons he could get and exhaust work depends on the driver!

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
We have a hater on our hands, my friends. Batten down the hatches and oh, flame suits on.[/QUOTE]

I will get my old Nomex suit out, along with the boots, gloves and balaclava.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well, it could happen, but he comes to a GTO board to tell us how excited he was to beat a GTO? He has only 2 posts. doubtful its true.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Forget it, I checked his whole registration and other post. He is here as a Mustang guy who havets GM in general and has no life. Let's not waste the time of car enthusiasts with people who just hate some things. I like Mustangs, I have owned Mustangs, this guy is a dork.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
He was probably at a stoplight - and the guy 'punched it' under normal acceleration. He climbed to 80 - so he wins the 'race'.
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Hey, it could happen. There's just no way to know what went down without hearing from the Goat's owner. (Wasn't me, I guarantee.) So much depends on the driver, the circumstances, the alignment of the planets, etc. I got smoked by 1.3 seconds by a "stock" LT1 Z28 on a 1/8th mile track, then later that night squeezed a .2 second ET win past a "built" Ram Air Trans AM. Anything can happen...

By the book, the '04 GTO should beat a stock '03 Mustang GT. But even if my '04 GTO somehow managed to out accelerate an '04 Mustang COBRA to 80mph, I would not run to a Mustang site to brag about my "awesome victory". There are just too many variables to consider.

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
I don't think this has much weight unless the GTO spun some rubber and left marks all the way down the road. My mustang although fun to drive and an automatic doesn't have the power to compete with a GTO unless something is under the hood. I have raced against a 2000 Z28 and have my butt handed to me (although i forgot Traction Control was on). The only difference between the Auto and Manual in the 03 Mustang is the Manual runs higher gears. There are extrememly fast Mustangs that are stock, but they are far a few between because Horsepower is what people want. One guy was able to hit high 11's with a stock stang, but he went the opposite way of the normal crowd and learned to reduce the weight of the car. Now if he was running something like this under his hood
http://www.pats-world.com/brightblue00gt/ I can see a GTO not being able to stay with the GT. I wonder if Kenne Bell will make superchargers for the GTO, they are amazing systems.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I'm not buying this story without some more detail. Manual vs manual ? Driver miss a gear or just suck, etc? GT is a low 14's high 13's traping WELL below a GTO.

GT will get owned by a GTO stock vs stock

·
Registered
19 Posts
Adam4356 said:
I'm not buying this story without some more detail. Manual vs manual ? Driver miss a gear or just suck, etc? GT is a low 14's high 13's traping WELL below a GTO.

GT will get owned by a GTO stock vs stock

ET wins the race. Trap speed indicates HP. This is kind of like the guy with the GTO that wasted a 03 cobra. Only its on the flip side.

I have seen many(not all) gto times in low 14 second high 13. (posted on this board and others) It is very possible to have a good mustang driver pull a high 13.

I do agree by posting this this thread on a gto board he is asking for trouble.

Not sure if he is a hater though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just dont see how a stock GT kill a stock GTO unless the GTO driver started in 2nd gear.

·
US Monaro-IBM/B/M6-K&N
739 Posts
My Goat Eats GT'Stangs ... and I know when to Quit

Even starting in 2nd, a Goat should pull ahead of a stock GT'Stang ... I used to run one .. Maybe there was a Speed limit like 35 .. and the Goat Driver just knew when to quit.
. ...................................... BBD :cool: IBM/B/M6-Stock

·
Registered
121 Posts
phobos512 said:
GTs are stock 260HP, Mach 1s are stock 302HP. There's absolutely no way this went down as stated by the original poster unless it was the first time someone had driven a manual.
It was a street race, anything is possible. If I were driving that's probably what would have happened. I SUCK! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts